What's new

Satchel? Man Purse? Shoulder Bag?

First off, my apologies, I really don't know the correct name for it.

I swore I'd never get one, swore it a thousand times... Yet here I am with one over my shoulder, (well not at this precise second, too hard to type with it on), and absolutely loving this thing. Found myself getting frustrated carrying all the things I need when going out for a day in the city, keys, pipe, tobacco, cell phone, wallet, cigarettes, blah blah blah, and just happened to see one in a store window that caught my eye. Checked the price and it was very reasonable, looked about as masculine as a purse can get, figured 'what the hell', and walked out of the store with a few less things in my hands and pockets.

I know these things might no be for everyone, thought that about myself, (5'10, bald, beard, 260 lbs., usually wearing a bandanna, mid 40's), but dudes... I finally get what the ladies have known since the dawn of time. These things serve a purpose and work.

Anyhow, here is what I ended up getting, (no affiliation with brand, store, price or any of that crap), just found an image on line...

http://www.kennethcole.com/product/...3075281&customNumOfProd=14&customNumOfProd=14

Strongly recommend getting one to any dude who has too much to hold and not enough hands. Besides, I don't want to be the only man carrying a 'man purse' in my city.

It looks great! I wouldn't worry about what other people thinks or say, if it meets your needs. To tell you the truth, it looks like a computer case to me, and lots of guys carry those. Anyway, it looks good and it works, so enjoy it!

I've got our first baby due any day now, I'm expecting mine to be no longer filled with gadgets, but bottles, nappies, wipes, spare baby grows... Really excited!

For me regardless of whether you're a student, professional, a weekend shopper or a dad taking the kids out, satchels look great & are functional! Keep rocking them!

David - what Pilot watch is that? Thanks

I carry a black canvas satchel. I need too much stuff during the day to fit in my pockets.

It bemuses me when my manhood is jokingly questioned because of my 'man purse'. I consider it a profoundly practical way to carry gear.

P.S. What is that emblem on your Zippo David?

$CLC-SLR-SM-DCB-PS-SLC01B-1900.jpg

I've been using a manbag/man purse/courier bag type over the shoulder bag for years...probably 20y now.

Cell phones are getting bigger, work keys, home keys, leatherman, lunch, sunglasses, pens, lipstick (oops, did I say that) etc all go in and I'm off to work.

Yes, the guys make fun of me but inside, they are all jealous of my purse...I just know it.

I've always wanted a nice leather one, but the canvass/nylon type ones from MEC have been my bag of choice for years as they last forever and only set me back $30-50 so I can replace them every few years and keep the old ones for travelling etc.

I go with a wider one then the OP, so it's more "courier" type then purse....but having it in bright red, doesn't help me get out of the office without a few jabs (I use the shoulder strop and it unfolds for the inner pockets and zippers)

My current bag is a dark red (not my first choice), as I needed one in a hurry and found it at MEC at a closeout price. It's well built, seal seemed zippers, inner zippers etc and very durable.
$5031-194_CHL10_view1_720x720.jpg

I already have my next one lined up!
$5026-310_ESP00_view1_1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Can't beat the practicality and I have always been a sucker for bags of any type (backpacks, satchels, what have you). I am not currently carrying one, but I need to. Every day I walk out of the house balancing my keys, ipad, notebook/portfolio, phone, sunglasses, coffee and water bottle, trying not to drop any of them on the way to my truck, where I then proceed to dump them into the passenger seat. Then I have to scramble to shove everything out of the way any time I have a passenger, usually one of the kids after cross country practice when they have their own load of stuff in tow.

Yup, time for a new bag. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbup:

I really like like the simple, masculine look of David's canvas satchel above.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Would be overkill for my EDC of my phone, wallet, and pocket knife.

But I do see a lot of men with them. Mostly dudes just like yourself that carry a lot of stuff, with no room left in their pockets. A guy I used to work with brought one to work everyday and he used it everyday too, carried his tablet and other gadgets in it that he used everyday on lunch.

If you carry a lot of stuff around I don't see any better way. Some of these look like briefcases or computer bags. I'd get one if I had an arsenal of gear, I'm just not that dude.

UJ,

The bag you bought is really nice; looks like a messenger bag to me.

I also use a messenger bag; Tough to carry, big phone, 7" tablet, sun glasses , eye glasses, knife, keys, lighter, wallet, business wallet, etc etc etc, in my pockets; and I hate stuff in my pockets.

I just say it's a purse and don't try to hide it.

I bought my first one in 2009, while on a trip to Italy; 70% of Men there were rocking the messenger bags, newsboy bags, and satchels; they are just flat-out practical.

I'm trying to get Alpha One Niner to make me a messenger bag, I love Helm's bags.

I also swore I would never get one but I wouldn't want to be without it now. My job has me in a car for most of every day, and I just put the strap on mine over the passenger side headrest and have all my stuff right there all day. I got mine from Orvis years ago when it was on sale and it's as good as new.

Everyone who carries one probably never thought they would. But everyone who carries one will probably never be without one now.

I'm a carrier. I use a leather briefcase/satchel thing for work, and for my home life I carry the leather "simple backpack" from Saddleback.

$09q5Nsn.jpg

I commute on a motorbike, and carry all my things (except my laptop) in a canvas messenger bag. It has a waterproof lining on the inside.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, never thought of the practical uses one would have. But it makes sense with tablets, bigger phones, keys. Keys have become much bigger too.

I do not like bulging things in pockets either. I do not like to hand carry anything is possible.

Thanks for the responses.

Top Bottom