What's new

Sardines-Is it love or hate?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you use fish sauce in your Thai food then you are already eating anchovies.
As well as Worsterchire sauce. I neither love nor hate- closer to like. I keep some in the desk drawer at work should I get hungry.

On edit: or is it anchovies?

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
As well as Worsterchire sauce. I neither love nor hate- closer to like. I keep some in the desk drawer at work should I get hungry.

On edit: or is it anchovies?

Worsterchire sauce is and fish sauce are both fermented.
When I first smelt fish sauce, I didn't want to add it to my thai green curry but it is a great ingredent.
I fall into the love camp for Worcester sauce.

I love them, preferably eaten freshly charcoal grilled at a seafront restaurant somewhere in the Mediterranean.

So I've had sardines a few times since last visiting this thread, the most recent being for lunch yesterday, which were packed in soybean oil with hot green chilis, delicious! I also had them for lunch on Sat & Sun. I like how they fill me up without weighing me down. I've stocked up with a few cans in mustard saice, LA hot sauce, the aforementioned ones, and also some smoked oysters. I love sardines, I don't know why I haven't bought any in a few years. Thanks for starting this thread @DoctorShavegood , I've reconnected with a food I've loved as long as I can remember and have been depriving myself of.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So I've had sardines a few times since last visiting this thread, the most recent being for lunch yesterday, which were packed in soybean oil with hot green chilis, delicious! I also had them for lunch on Sat & Sun. I like how they fill me up without weighing me down. I've stocked up with a few cans in mustard saice, LA hot sauce, the aforementioned ones, and also some smoked oysters. I love sardines, I don't know why I haven't bought any in a few years. Thanks for starting this thread @DoctorShavegood , I've reconnected with a food I've loved as long as I can remember and have been depriving myself of.
Thanks, and a big 10-4 on that. Sardines aren't very strong flavored unlike the smell. They have Omega 3's, which are great for the heart and lowering cholesterol. I too find them light but filling.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I can't do smoked oysters (for the same reason that I can't do mushrooms and okra) but will always have sardines on hand.

Late night snack

20170615_003236.jpg

Sardines stirred through some pasta with brusselsprouts, asparagus and bacon is a regular lunch for me. I like sardines and would have them twice a week.

Tonight's late night snack was a sardine sandwich. This means I have to take the trash out now or the wife will go nuts in the morning from the tin's smell. :001_rolle:001_tongu

I haven't had a good can of sardines in a long time, but not for lack of trying.
I've found that sardine quality varies widely depending on the brand,
and even the good brands are not as good as I remember when I was a kid.

I will spend a little extra for the name brands like Bumble Bee or King Oscar.
The off-brands from overseas that I buy in Asian markets are garbage.

I usually prefer those packed in water, and the best cans are very tightly packed.
The mustards and olive oils and hot sauces just get in the way as far as I'm concerned.
I'll add my own sauces on top, thank you.

I generally have sardines with Saltine crackers, but I eat them separately.
Trying to make a sardine sandwich is just too messy.
If I have some on hand, upscale bread like Sourdough or Challah is good, too.

But for the most part, the last few years I've been going for smoked herring.
There is a brand called Polar that I get at Walmart for $1.18 a can, and these are a great value.
Trader Joe has some smoked herring that is to die for. Its about $2.69 a can, but its a much bigger can.

Other times I might splurge on smoked oysters, mussels, mackerel or gourmet tuna,
but those are rare treats, about once a month. But for smoked herring, I've been going through several cans of that each week, especially in colder weather.

And no matter what seafood I might be snacking on, I usually wash it down with Coca-Cola.

How is the hot sauce? Like Tabasco?

I'll let you know. Back when sardines were a staple in my little college apartment I don't remember there being flavored sardines. I just put hot sauce. I saw these on sale when I walked through the market today.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I'll have a can of sardines (w/Cholula and saltines) occasionally between lunch and dinner. The empty can in the trash does tend to keep people from lingering in my office any longer than is absolutely necessary.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Owen, Chango & Aaron:
fishmonger-1-jpg.472534
Not to get off-thread, but again, if your fishmonger can get them...how about pan-fried fresh anchovies (they are like 'night & day' compared to canned tins)?
proxy.php

Anchovy.jpg

Read More: Pan fried fresh anchovy fillets

Anchovies.jpg
"Add anchovies to almost anything, in moderation, and it will taste better". Jay McInerney

Last edited:
Top Bottom