What's new

Sardines-Is it love or hate?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
You need to try them when they are freshly caught and then barbecued! Amazingly done in Portugal! Can't compare them to these canned ones as there is such a vast difference! :biggrin1:
Yeah, I saw them being prepared on a food network show. The setting was Italy, outside in a picnic format. Dreamy. They were freshly caught and looked delicious.

They stink to high heaven bit I love them. Eat them right out of the can with some cucumbers, tomatoes, feta cheese and olives. ...

I say this every time a sardine post comes up. Check out Alton Brown's sherried sardines with avocado. Awesome.

I also like like them on saltines with a dab of spicy mustard.

Absolutely love them. They are great chopped up in lots of pasta dishes too. Anchovy paste is great to have on hand too.

They arn't bad. Im giving up tuna because its so high in mercury so I thought I would try sardines since they have alot of omega 3, low cost, and a good source of protein(and much much lower in mercury).

I get the ones packed in water since I think the oil they use is questionable(especially the really cheap ones). I may add some of my own olive oil or add hot sauce and I have a decent snack.

Skipjack tuna usually labeled as chunk light has less mercury. The bigger the fish the more mercury. Thus the large albacore tuna which is usually labeled solid white, has a lot of mercury.

The Clover Leaf sardines in olive oil are utterly delicious...
proxy.php

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Never thought to put sardines on pizza. Anchovies freak me out. Although I haven't eaten one since being freaked out.

I like the King Oscar in olive oil. Others I have tried haven't been to my taste. I will have to try to find those Portugese sardines in the thread. Those looked interesting.

Sardines, Yeah Baby!

I buy Season's Sardines in Olive Oil.

Line them up on a piece of pumpernickel bread, a couple of slices of red onion, horseradish sauce and top with the other piece of pumpernickel. This is one of the best sandwiches ever.

Add them to a diced onion sauteed in olive oil along with some toasted bread crumbs and a couple of tablespoons of capers, serve on your favorite pasta.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sardines, Yeah Baby!

I buy Season's Sardines in Olive Oil.

Line them up on a piece of pumpernickel bread, a couple of slices of red onion, horseradish sauce and top with the other piece of pumpernickel. This is one of the best sandwiches ever.

Add them to a diced onion sauteed in olive oil along with some toasted bread crumbs and a couple of tablespoons of capers, serve on your favorite pasta.

What happened to my mouth? Its all watery.

My mother liked these packed in mustard but she also liked Limburger cheese so that will tell you something about her tastes. I've never "mustered" the nerve to bite into one. But I've recently developed a taste for anchovies so I must be weird.

What about Smoked Herring? You know the Kippers? I love them and find their taste similar to sardines.

OMG! I was in London once and thought I should "do as the Romans do" so I tried kippers for breakfast. I managed to choke those down and the things repeated on me for hours!

I like the King Oscar in olive oil. Others I have tried haven't been to my taste. I will have to try to find those Portugese sardines in the thread. Those looked interesting.

I purchase the Nuri brand at a large Chinese chain store called Ranch 99 for $3.49. They can be hard to find. Some Phillipino markets have them. Again, if you haven't tried them, do so. Much, much better than King Oscar. Maybe we should have a Sardine Faceoff Contest. I'll throw in a can of Nuri.

Top Bottom