What's new

Saponificio Varesino Artisanal 2.0 a quick review

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I decided to buy an SV brush, in tortoise shell handle. All the range is beautiful. I wanted a second so I could let them dry properly each day. I wanted one to be similar to the Chubby 3 which is luxurious on my face.
It is about the same size as my CH3 but not as dense a knot. I've done a few test lathers plus a proper shave and is certainly a match to the Chubby ! Loads soap and lathers like a dream. Very very nice. Highly recommended and will be a pleasure to use.
It's badger, but has not shed a single hair, and it dries well within 24 hours. A fine brush indeed.

Roy's review is from an old thread.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
SV.Paragon.640.png

For what it's worth.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow!

In my world this brush resets my parameters. It breaks my rules for what I think I used to think I liked.

Probably it's more accurate to say it provides what I like without having qualities I incorrectly thought necessary. It gives me what I like. It does so while lacking qualities I now see are unnecessary in delivering the attributes I like. It also has qualities I didn't miss but like now that I have them.

It'll be interesting to see how you like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Wow!

In my world this brush resets my parameters. It breaks my rules for what I think I used to think I liked.

Probably it's more accurate to say it provides what I like without having qualities I incorrectly thought necessary. It gives me what I like. It does so while lacking qualities I now see are unnecessary in delivering the attributes I like. It also has qualities I didn't miss but like now that I have them.

It'll be interesting to see how you like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Doug already printed the Priority Mail label... I should see it late this week, if it gets through the Jacksonville black hole unscathed.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm cross posting this in hopes someone can add to my understanding and knowledge of this.

Yes, those are my two SV brushes, and they are incredible in all respects. :)

They both measure 28mm at the top of the ring. I believe that they are the 26mm knot and would probably measure 26mm at the top of the handle.

Think I might pull one out for tomorrow's shave with the new Green Cult razor. :cool:

I'd have to disassemble one to know this for myself, but from what I've read how the SV brushes appear to me to be made isn't exactly how these brushes are actually made.

1655558200327.png

I've looked and looked, but I can't find the posts talking about this, so I'm trusting my memory.

From what I remember reading somewhere on one of the forums this is the deal. The handle has a wooden bottom piece (or resin). The knot sits on top of the wood rather than into a recessed hole in the wood. It's not like the knot is put into a hole and then surrounded by the pewter ring. The pewter crown actually contains and holds the entire knot.

Again, this is just what I've read, and how I remember (or misremember) what I read.

I would assume but I don't know that the crown is affixed to the wood first, and then the knot is inserted within the hole in the crown, glued to the bottom of the hole (the wood) and to the sides of the hole (the crown).

Obviously, there is at least one other way to accomplish the assembly. In any event, it's a unique method of construction. As I consider it, it makes sense. The crown is not an add on but an integral component of the handle.

All this might be obvious to everyone other than me when they look at an SV brush.

I apologize for not being able to locate the information I think I remember. Someone whose SV brush lost its knot could speak with authority to the handle and brush construction.

****I'd also like to know where and by whom the knots are made. I've read that SV uses a particular knot maker, but they won't say which one or even where the maker is geographically located. I'd like to at least know the continent.****

Happy shaves,

Jim

Wow guys, I'm intrigued why some analyse every little aspect of this very wonderful brush. Can't it be enjoyed as for me at least, it gives great pleasure.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wow guys, I'm intrigued why some analyse every little aspect of this very wonderful brush. Can't it be enjoyed as for me at least, it gives great pleasure.

It gives me great pleasure, too, as does analyzing it.

One of your posts, Roy, helped convince me to try the brush. I'd been on the fence forever.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One thing to add is this brush has not lost a single hair. I had to stop using my chubby 3 as it lost several hairs a day .

They are very nice brushes. They are great quality and add an air of grandeur to any shave den. My understanding is that owners are automatically granted the title of duke in Italy, although you have to buy your own mansion for the full effect, and Sophia Loren is not included.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
They are very nice brushes. They are great quality and add an air of grandeur to any shave den. My understanding is that owners are automatically granted the title of duke in Italy, although you have to buy your own mansion for the full effect, and Sophia Loren is not included.

...and Sophia Loren is not included.

Just when I was getting my hopes up.

6-21-22.Sailor.FelceSV.SV.Tortoise.640.JPG

Still, I have it made in the shade, being a Duke and all.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1656070802921.png

I thought I'd post the twins here...... though I'm still waiting on the papers for my Dukedom.

View attachment 1477241

I'm waiting for Sophia Loren.

Admittedly my practice of patience was easier before your package arrived, and I'm busy trusting the vendor who is sorry they don't actually have in their own warehouse the brush they sold me, but it would be nice to know when they might find in SV's brush stash one for me, and get it in the mail to me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I didn't cancel my order with them. If they ever "find" the brushes, I'll probably just keep both. I hope the wood varies enough so that makes sense.

I did measure both handles.... almost exactly the same. A few thousands of an inch difference but certainly, not something I can feel with my hands. Looks to be the slight variance that comes from a human running a lathe.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I didn't cancel my order with them. If they ever "find" the brushes, I'll probably just keep both. I hope the wood varies enough so that makes sense.

I did measure both handles.... almost exactly the same. A few thousands of an inch difference but certainly, not something I can feel with my hands. Looks to be the slight variance that comes from a human running a lathe.

Thanks. Good news.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1656681446434.png

From what I just read the package my brush will be shipped in has had a label created for it.

I assume that's progress.

As I've mentioned I'm not in any great hurry to receive my third SV brush, but the sooner the better.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom