What's new

Sandalwood Recommendations

Good Evening!

I am in search of a fabulous sandalwood shave cream and aftershave balm and possibly cologne. What is the very best you recommend?

Thank you for your wonderful time and your help.

I wish I could encourage you to pick up some Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood Shaving Cream and balm, but sadly they have had several bankruptcy’s and are now out of the men’s shaving business....

This is going to be totally boring, but Prorasso shaving cream is still my favorite sandalwood cream. If you can find C&E it is decadent, but you’ll pay for it.... As far as a balm/AS I’m not much help.

Best wishes,

Matt

It's definitely Truefitt and Hill Sandalwood.... for me it's the best that I've tried overall, though I haven't tried everything.

Cream: It's very very mild scent 4/10 though it's extremely pleasant. It's not as slick as some soaps or creams but certainly has fair slickness, about 6/10
Aftershave Lotion: Alcohol free, very moisturising and great for my skin, soothing and not greasy but gives a good layer of protection. It's pump and about 4 pumps is sufficient. Scent is distinct and my wife LOVES it. She rates it a 9/10 again it's mild but there and when I give her a kiss good by and she smells it, I get more kisses and a face rub, with a "Hmmmm" scound.
Cologne: 10/10. I doubt there is anything that can beat this... the only scent my wife likes better is Eau Sauvage by Dior.

Personally their Sandalwood and 1805 scents are the best... though I am trying their other products as I purchased a bunch of their samples.

Things like prorasso sandalwood to me smell artificial and overpowering.

Remember you asked for the VERY best 🏆. I will actually use these tomorrow now that you remind me, I have almost finished my lotion and cream bowl 😢

The Truefitt and Hill aftershave balm is exceptional in soothing qualities when it comes to my skin.The cream is also a top performer.In terms of smell I like T&F a lot and it has the same feel of quality ingredients.Proraso is a nice scent too.I like Proraso scent a lot.The closest I got to sandalwood essential oil scent , is the Castle Forbes sandalwood products.Dr.Harris sandalwood line
is a degree closer to the sandalwood essential oil scent than T&F,but between the two the T&F is more elaborate, more refined scent.
To conclude, T&F is an excellent choice.Great cologne too.Castle Forbes smells like sandalwood,the real thing,very good choice also.When I ran out of Proraso ,I place an order for it.It is part of my rotation.

Last edited:
TAOS and Proraso "Super Formula" are fair representations of sandalwood eo, ime.

While the performance of T&H Sandalwood is excellent, the scent (which is nice) is named quite loosely.

In terms of scent, TOBS is very far from sandalwood eo, and in terms of performance, a notch below T&H.

YMMV.

1608471948698.pngTOBS Sandalwood.jpg

Good Evening!

I am in search of a fabulous sandalwood shave cream and aftershave balm and possibly cologne. What is the very best you recommend?

Thank you for your wonderful time and your help.

Sir Talltexan, I've never met a top-brand-name sandalwood shave cream that I didn't like!
Perhaps my favorite would be AOS.
But, you should do the heavy lifting and experiment to determine your own taste preference!
Enjoy the journey!!

sandalwood creams.jpg

I wish I could encourage you to pick up some Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood Shaving Cream and balm, but sadly they have had several bankruptcy’s and are now out of the men’s shaving business....

This is going to be totally boring, but Prorasso shaving cream is still my favorite sandalwood cream. If you can find C&E it is decadent, but you’ll pay for it.... As far as a balm/AS I’m not much help.

Best wishes,

Matt

Yup. Proraso Red.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have only used a few that I have enjoyed. All different and that is what I like about Sandal wood MFG's
Ogallala Bayrum & sandal wood..................C.R.Salter Indian Sandal wood ..................Proraso Red Sandal wood.
SE SOTD, Fri, Nov27th 2020.jpg
SE SOTD- Wed, Dec 23rd 2020.jpg
DE SOTD, Nov 17th 2020.jpg

Taylor of old bond street has a strong masculine scent like all Sandal wood soaps.
SOTD, WED April 29th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Sandalwood per se, but if you want to try it out, TOBS is considered an "etalon" by many. Others would say that of Proraso RED line. Both are excellent performance wise. Scent will be subjective, as always.

Top Bottom