What's new

Sandals

Thought I would ask everyone their opinion on what's the best on the market. I have used Teva sandals since I was backpacking in Scouts. When my last pair broke after nine years of good use I bought Keen H2’s. Three years later they are still doing fine but they are hotter than regular sandals and (for me) seem to stink after a long day of walking around. Anyone have any recommendations?
Johnny

I'm a big fan of Xero shoes. They are barefoot-style sandals and I think they are super comfortable. It depends on what you are doing with them, but overall, great products.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We're not talking about flip fops are we?

$Milenio-Wholesale-Flip-Flops-e1347649613637.jpg

If so I've got North Face and leather Rafters.

Both pair are really comfy for flip flops.

If you're looking for a pair of sandals that will last you years and years, google Chacos.

You can find a used pair on ebay for a good price and it will last you a very long time. If you ever need them repaired, you can send them back for a small fee and you'll have virtually brand new sandals.

Like you, I tried walking around last summer in a pair of Keen sandals and they were too hot. Went back to Tevas and am very happy.

If you want a good outdoor hiking sandal, try Chaco. If you are walking around town, do us all a favor and cover those puppies up. I don't want to see your nasty hairy feet.

I cant stand strappy athletic sandals. Any of these outdoor sandals look terrible in my opinion and are marginally functional. I find them somewhat useful for wading in a river. For most other outdoor activities I find that I'm better off with some type of shoes anyway. For casual wear/beach duties, I like Sanuk.

I used to love sandals then I realized that they look pretty awful and are best saved for the beach. Doing anything else a shoe is probably superior both in terms of looks and functionality.

I do not understand hiking in sandals at all. Why not just get a light breathable boot like a Keen Moab or something?

Different people have different preferences. Any boot, no matter how light or breathable is hotter than sandals. That said, I wear boots as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... they are still doing fine but they are hotter than regular sandals and (for me) seem to stink after a long day of walking around.

I used to wear sandals, but found that my feet got too sweaty, what with not wearing socks. (As we all know, wearing socks with sandals is a fashion sin that will get you exiled to Nevergettinglaidsville, Arizona. Stinky feet (which are a pretty rapid byproduct of no socks in hot weather) ditto.

For a day of lounging at the beach, sandals would do me fine, I guess. But for a day of hiking, I'd go with something closed enough to keep little bits of gravel &c from getting in and bugging the heck out of me. All of which is my way of saying you might want to try hiking shoes ... and if not, I am afraid I don't really know which specific sandal to suggest.

I hope you end up with a good result.

For flip-flop style sandals, you can not beat Rainbows! Dunk them in water and wear them until they dry out and they will conform to your foot profile. By far the most comfortable ones out there. They also look pretty good if you ask me.

I love my Chacos. Bought the Z2 on Sierra Trading Post. These things are bulletproof. Great for hiking, offer as much support as a good low hiking shoe. They dry very quickly and are very comfortable. I wear them everywhere in the summer. Great for wading a river or hopping in and out of the kayak.

If you can find them for around $50-$60 they are an awesome deal. Looking forward to season two with them!

NAOT without question. Made where Sandals started. I have had a pair for 7 years. take care of them and they look great. replaceable cork footbeds, real leather...winner.

I have finally worn out a pair of Wolverine hiking sandals I purchased around 15 years ago. Vibram lug soles with full leather straps. Absolutely could take on any topographic in the world including running around on the weekend and of course are no longer in production. Any suggestions on vibram sole sandals would be appreciated. I have worn the leather uppers out the soles still look almost brand new.

Thanks

I used to wear Alps, but Teva bought them out and discontinued them.

Chacos worked well for a bit, but the footbed hurts me now. that said, I do wear orthotics... or should more often. after a couple years, the tread started debonding from the footbed on both sandals. got them reglued by a cobbler.

I've got some Bedrocks that I do like, if you're into the barefoot thing.

Tevas 20 years, Island Sandals (Maui) infinitely adjustable and comfortable, Zora of St. Thomas have 2 pair 20+ years and like Island Sandals still improving with age.

Top Bottom