What's new

Safety Razor with the least blade feel? (Negative Blade Exposure)

Greetings and a happy new year to all!

I won't go in detail about my issue this time so this thread will be slightly different, the question is simple. 15c, Masamune etc. Which one, in your opinion, has the most negative blade exposure?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Hello! Of the razors personally used, the least blade feel would be the Karve with mild plate; A or B. Find myself checking to see if a blade is even in the razor. Buttery smooth. Magnificent machining. Classy razor.

However, I choose the Rockwell 6S far more often. Doesn’t glide quite as well, but it’s negative exposure is nearly impossible to cause weepers, and the shave longevity is superior.

All the best!

0ED28FF8-C48B-4CAC-95B2-EF7FE378BBBB.jpeg

Viking Godfather or its Baili clone.

WTG barely removes any hair, can't get any smoother than that! I only use it on days my skin is feeling extra sensitive and that too only with a sharp blade like a Nacet.

In my experience, Karve B > Masamune > Fatboy at lowish setting (3 or less) > Rockwell (3 or less) > Feather - most aggressive to least aggressive. Masamune scratches the itch for me for mild, but quite efficient.

I have a Masamune with all plates and caps. The Mesamune base and top cap feels extremely smooth will no real blade feel....to me anyway. I don't have a 15c so can't offer any experience here.

I have a Masamune with all plates and caps. The Mesamune base and top cap feels extremely smooth will no real blade feel....to me anyway. I don't have a 15c so can't offer any experience here.
What’s your favorite combination of cap + plate? Are you sacrificing smoothness for efficiency with anything but the full Masamune combo?

What’s your favorite combination of cap + plate? Are you sacrificing smoothness for efficiency with anything but the full Masamune combo?
My favorite hands down is the Nodachi plate and cap. I find it smooth (with just a bit of blade feel) and efficient. I sometimes will put the Mesamune cap on the Nodachi plate. This combination is a little smoother, but not quite as efficient....a great combo if you want slightly less blade feel. The full Masamue combo is nice, but it doesn't take off enough whiskers for me.

The Nodachi (even OC plate) is smooth with not too much blade feel. Tatara razors very high quality and between all the combinations, you should be able to find a combo that treats you just right.

Among my de razors, the one with last blade feel on my skin is the Fatip "Lo Storto" slant bar open comb de saftey razor. The slanted head and the torsion on the blade make it a very deep shaving razor, but with nearly noticeable blade feel on the skin, despite it being open comb. I do feel the blade much more with my Muhle R89, my Merkur Futur (this is indeed expected) and my Merkur 39C (slant bar, closed comb). I think that blade feel on the skin also depends on what blade you use, on the pre-shave and shaving cream, on the razor head geometry, on the pressure you put on the razor head ad on the angle you use your razor with.
I think that pure data on blade exposure do not correlate directly with blade feeling on the skin

My favorite hands down is the Nodachi plate and cap. I find it smooth (with just a bit of blade feel) and efficient. I sometimes will put the Mesamune cap on the Nodachi plate. This combination is a little smoother, but not quite as efficient....a great combo if you want slightly less blade feel. The full Masamue combo is nice, but it doesn't take off enough whiskers for me.

The Nodachi (even OC plate) is smooth with not too much blade feel. Tatara razors very high quality and between all the combinations, you should be able to find a combo that treats you just right.
Thanks for sharing, I was about to ask the same question. I’ll have to get some extra parts for my Masamune at some point. Going to try my setup with different blades first.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Oneblade Core would be a great mild razor & use mine to shave the back of my neck after haircuts. I have over 60 face shaving mostly with a modified Gem blade.
The Core is easy to load and remove blade and floats in its seat. The razor is one of the best if looking for easy shaves, the only draw back is the feather FHS-10 blade does not have great longevity. 2 shaves and then tossed is what I do. A modified Gem blade 10 shaves and tossed is what happens with shaving with the Oneblade Core.
As for aggression I would say it is neutral, it's the only razor I can apply pressure and not cut my self. It is a interesting razor and use it now for trimming sensitive area's of my neck.
One blade 1 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Have used the Merkur 15C, FOCS and currently use Rockwell 6S, R1 or R2 mostly. The aforementioned OC razors limit blade chatter, but the combs don't stretch the skin like a bar. If you have very short stubble and you don't stretch your skin properly, the blade can dig into the skin captured between the teeth. Also, the blade positioning in both the FOCS and Merkur 15C razors is, in my experience, never even on both sides. Either the blade is not parallel to the cap or one side exposes more than the other. In the latter case, I used the lesser exposed side.
My Rockwell at R1 is the only razor which has never nicked me. It is also the only razor with which I can go ATG. I have heard similar comments on Henson AL13, but do not own one so I cannot confirm. I can recall that the Feather Popular I had shaved similarly to my lower settings on the Rockwell. What you are looking for should be available on the manufacturer specs, just check the blade exposure.

Happy new year!

Thanks for your answers so far, some interesting suggestions! My condition doesn't let me go anywhere near a 'close shave' as that's when the ingrown hair occurs, it's not about micro cuts etc. we finally concluded this with my skin doc a couple of days ago. It's an ongoing situation. The only two things left for me to try is Straight Blades and something with negative exposure, as I don't own either. Neutral gives me problems, even something like a Henson (got the mild). I'm looking for THE most negative possible blade exposure on the market.

Top Bottom