What's new

safe blade disposal/recycling

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Got one like this from West Coast Shaving many years ago. Not even close to being full yet. I’ll just hammer it closed and toss it in the trash when it’s full. And buy something else similar. And never give it another thought. Unless I stumble on another post like this, which is the only time I give it thought. :001_tongu

AA4CCD07-1C9D-463C-9D68-B4639791746E.jpeg

If you do a search on this topic, you'll find more ideas for blade disposal/recycling. For example: Used Blade Container?

I read something saying the best place would be in a sharps/syringe bin, but just took it as advice. Im in the U.K. so it may be slightly different. I suppose if it’s done sensibly it’ll be fine.

Personally, I use a sharps container. They seem to be fairly popular here. This is mine:

Sharps_container_1280x960.jpg

It holds 2 quarts and lives in the vanity under my sink.

I've filled up a few of these. It takes me about 5 years. Once full, I take it to my local pharmacy where they dump it in their biohazard bin. As a bonus, they give me a new container at no charge.

If you do a search on this topic, you'll find more ideas for blade disposal/recycling. For example: Used Blade Container?

Personally, I use a sharps container. They seem to be fairly popular here. This is mine:

View attachment 1407091

It holds 2 quarts and lives in the vanity under my sink.

I've filled up a few of these. It takes me about 5 years. Once full, I take it to my local pharmacy where they dump it in their biohazard bin. As a bonus, they give me a new container at no charge.
Having a look on Google, it seems most advise here to take to recycling. Looks like Gillette have a free recycling service too, where you order a prepaid envelope and send them back to terracycle.

I know our pharmacies give free sharps bins for syringes, so I’m sure that’s still an option for anybody who’d prefer to do it that way here in Britain.

I never thought about recycling them. I like that idea.
I put mine into an old vitamin bottle with a slot cut in the top.
I've glued the lid on so it can't be opened but it's not the least bit eco-friendly.

I use a vitamin bottle that has a large flip cap. Used blades fall into it nicely. Larger bottles also will accommodate longer single blades - like Feather Artist Club.

I use a chicken broth soup can that I cut a slit into the top of rather than open normally. Use the broth however you prefer, rinse the can, blade disposal for.. I don't even know how long. Somewhere around 6 years on the current (first) can. Presumably it will be full eventually. When it is it can go in the scrap metal bin at work.

Razor blades belong in the trash. They are safety hazard to workers at recycling facilities and if found will go in trash. If you have a machine shop or scrap yard nearby they can safely accept them as scrap.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I have a metal money tin. I reckon at the rate I use blades I have another hundred years until it's full. As for what to do with it, I suppose my family could bury it with me.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have a small piggy bank that I use, hasnt filled up yet and not sure what I’ll do with it when it does, maybe I’ll be heavy enough and repurposed as a doorstop/paperweight etc? The hole at the bottom isn’t big enough to be worth my time sitting there and shaking them back all out.

I guess you could turn them into a pharmacy and see if they can dispose of sharps for you? They might even give you a sharps container for free.

I started using a sharps medical container sometime ago. It is about 1/16th full at this time. The container cost me less the $4.00 (USD) at Wal-Mart. I am 70, and doubt if I will ever fill it up.

New Blade Bank.jpg

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
View attachment 1406676
magic slot takes them to where all my missing left socks are
I had one of those in my previous house. I wasn’t using DE blades then, but the nest of yellow jackets in my wall found a use for it. We started seeing those buggers in the bathroom on a regular basis. One day I banged the door shut on the medicine and heard buzzing behind the cabinet. I banged it again and got them stirred up even more. When I opened the door again I saw one coming out of the razor blade slot. I grabbed a can of wasp and hornet killer and emptied the can into the slot and listened to a chorus of Flight of the Bumblebee. They had bored through the mortar in the bricks from the outside and built their nest in the wall. After winning that battle I went to the downstairs bathroom turned on the light and took a seat. I watched the yellow jackets die a slow death above me on the translucent drop ceiling panel.

400ml can of coconut milk, emptied it by making a slit in the top and shaking it out, rinsing it.
Every time I use it I wonder how easy it would be to make a Damascus blade from all the different steels inside. I have a mate who has a full on industrial workshop.... 😁

My wife and daughter are both physiotherapists and qualified acupuncturists. They have a "Sharps" bin in their clinic, for disposal of any old razor blades and scalpel/model maker knife blades I may have used. I build up a collection in a 35mm film canister until it is near full and then pass it to my wife to go in the sharps bin. The sharps bin is collected when full by professional waste disposal and recycling people for free, as they can sell on the high quality stainless steel scrap for more than the collection costs.

Wilson

Yet another thread about blade disposal that will no doubt grow exponentially until every idea has been propounded and everyone has had their say. Yes...we are a clever and resourceful lot! I'm still waiting for the acrimonious debate about whether using the medicine cabinet slot is still socially acceptable these days. With all the words I've digested on the subject here at B & B, I feel like I've read War & Peace...twice!
My tuppence worth: Drop it in the wall slot and forget it.

No wall slot in the new house so I've been using a Gatorade bottle. Not sure what I'll do years from now when the bottle's full.
Maybe I'll just put in a wall slot.

Top Bottom