What's new

S&W MP 15 cleaning tips

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I seem to have lost (or misplaced) the manual that details all the lube points and cleaning guidelines.

I have never cleaned it or lubed it. Only fired roughly 60 shots through it since I’ve had it. But I’ll be taking it on a trip over Memorial Day weekend where I’ll be shooting it and would like to clean it up, lube it up, make it ready.

Where are the “clean/lube here“ points.

Any products to make this easier would be useful too.

Do a You Tube search for S&W MP 15 field strip and cleaning. LOTS of videos; the problem will be weeding out the people with irritating voices.

I had a heck of a time reassembling one of my 15+2 magazines for my Walther PPQ. One video on the Tube solved the problem!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
So this is me but this is my lube regimen.
BCG...
Oil the gas rings (mine run wet) and the bore they ride in lightly, grease the cam pin (it sees ALOT of wear), and then I lightly oil the contact points where the bolt rides in the upper. Locking lugs, anything around the firing pin, and the gas key stay dry.
Trigger... I run a sealed unit that the manufacturer says not to lube. A mil-spec style unit might appreciate a wee drop on the trigger and hammer pins?
Lower... Maybe a drop on the pivot pins when I remember.
Adjustable gas block (if you have one)... Every 500 rounds or so I will remove the upper. Shoot a bit of Aero-Kroil down the gas tube, run the block thru its adjustments, another spritz (don't go crazy here), stand the upper on a shop towel muzzle down, and let as much drain out as possible (24 hours is my preference). Let me emphasize the "Just a bit" part because it ain't all going to drain out and the first shot after will have you wondering where the target if not the whole range went. The smoke cloud will be epic!!! Oh, take a shop towel to wipe up the oil that will "migrate" out of the gun.

Cleaning...
Barrel gets cleaning when accuracy falls off. I start with a Kroil soaked patch, let is sit and do it's work, and then dry patch it out. Then Boretech C4 carbon remover until clean-ish followed by Boretech Cu2 copper remover. Here a wet patch, 5 minutes, dry patch and repeat until the patch shows very light blue. I don't want all the copper out as ammo is scarce and I don't want to waste shots reseasoning from zero! Get an adult beverage to bide your time! :lol: If I am putting the rifle up, a slighty damp with oil patch followed by 2 dry is a good idea. If it is going shooting shortly then screw it! BCG gets detail stripped and the parts tossed in the ultra sonic with DW and a few ounces of simple green extreme. A few cycles followed but a US rinse cycle in clean DW and it's spotless. Dry off and reassemble. I actually pop the parts in a 250F oven to drive the water out of the nooks and crannies I can't OR don't want to get to. Launch an ejector into orbit and I think you will agree! BTW, mind the o-ring around the extractor spring if you go this route! As for the lower... People clean those? :lol: I might wipe it down and pull a shop rag thru the mag well just for the heck of it. All kidding aside, this is a good time to inspect all the pins (no serous wear on the push pins and the trigger and hammer pins are staying put) and the holes to make sure all is well. YMMV and good luck!

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
DW? Distilled Water?
Yes, sir! Tap water works but DW propagates the sound waves much better (no minerals to interfere) and I do notice an improvement in cleaning power as it were.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks, never would have guessed. My well water is obviously not the best choice.

Top Bottom