What's new

RR Hawk V2 Drag?

Hi,

I am interested in picking up a modern SE to try, and the Electric Blue V2 Hawk is calling my name. Being aluminum though, I am concerned about drag, which I do not care for. Can anyone comment on whether the EB Hawk V2 has drag? I saw some comments that the satin silver didn't have any drag, so I was wondering if this might be the case not only for the satin silver (if true) but for the EB too.

If it does, there is always the stainless V3 I guess.....🙄

Thanks,

Matty

DSC_0579.JPG

To be honest, I don't like it, although my green hawk is so beautiful and can easily bring BBS effects.
V2 Hawk's best use angle is riding the cap, it can shave very close like SR, it is so close that you have to pay attention to the blade angle, otherwise it will be stimulated, you must respect it and treat it like an SR. If riding the guard it will drag and can only be used for the final buff, this is due to the large cutting angle and the characteristics of the AC blade.
Maybe V3 ss has a different experience, but the only difference between them seems to be the material.

View attachment 1231065

To be honest, I don't like it, although my green hawk is so beautiful and can easily bring BBS effects.
V2 Hawk's best use angle is riding the cap, it can shave very close like SR, it is so close that you have to pay attention to the blade angle, otherwise it will be stimulated, you must respect it and treat it like an SR. If riding the guard it will drag and can only be used for the final buff, this is due to the large cutting angle and the characteristics of the AC blade.
Maybe V3 ss has a different experience, but the only difference between them seems to be the material.

I've done 3 shaves so far on the Hawk v3. SS and found this exactly, it's the same experience to the letter! Got to ride the cap on this one. And it's not easy to rinse out and gets clogged far more easily if you ride the guard.

Obviously I need to get more shaves in with it. I've been using a proline blade and trying the angles with it has been interesting to say the least. A lot of edge to work with too... though I've found pivoting the edge makes it more nimble, so there is some adapting to the AC blade for sure.

It certainly delivers a very close shave and I am finding it is really only 1 WTG pass and 1 ATG cleanup pass for me. As far as a daily driver... I need to put more runs on the board with it before coming to any decision. 3 shaves of discovery especially coming from DE shaving for years to an angled AC SE... it has taught me that I am no shaving savant.

I just recently acquired the Hawk V3 SB and the Blackland Vector. Personally, I'm loving this new AC SE experience specifically because it has me refocusing on technique. That's the fun part for me: making shaving a very mindful process. (Ok, I'm also susceptible to the joys of acquiring new shiny toys.) These are not just longer single sided versions of you typical DE razor in terms of how they're best deployed. But clearly great results are possible with both. I'm still learning how to use them to maximum advantage. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Colonial General, too, once it's back in stock.

I've got no experience with the aluminum/V2 model, so no comment on the drag factor. I do love the look of that anodized green, though.

I have a black and blue Hawk v2 and all the plates of Hawk V3 SS.

The hawk v2 is an amazing razor and as said above riding the cap is the way to go. Like injector razors and unlike Gem or De razors, I find AC blade format razors to be very silent, so don't look for sound feedback.

The SS polished version 3 has more glide but you won't find any noticeable drag in the aluminum version.

I also have an ATT SE1 / SE2 - but are very head heavy. They are more aggresive than a hawk v2.

I also have an RX Asylum razor and its an adventurous razor and the shave is best done with a mild blade or a blade which has a couple of shaves on it.

The hawk V3 OC is an ultimate razor. You can feel the blade and the shave is supremely efficient and you'll get addicted to it ! But it takes care to use, as the OC comb are widely spaced out and that makes it pretty aggresive. The A plate is simply what it stands for - aggresive !

I've contemplated buying the Blackland vector, however with the plethora of AC format razors, I can't justify the purchase of one more AC format razor.

Currently the hawk v3 plates are a clear favorite and easy in the pocket too!

I use schick proline blades

I have a RR Hawk V2 in Black and I find it to be a super smooth and mild shaver. I do not recall experiencing any drag with the razor. I have used Feather Professional, Schick Proline and Dorco AC blades so far and they all have performed well for me. I tend to use a very well hydrated lather. I like the razor so much that I am planning on buying the RR Hawk V3 with the A plate next.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
Wow, great comments gentlemen, thank you. Maybe I should re-think the SE route in general.....
SE has many benefits. I own and use the Blackland Vector and find the SE razor extremely maneuverable and effective, efficient. I also own and use the Hawk V2 and am pleased but the Vector brings the SE experience to another enjoyable level. SE blade recommendation: Kai Capitan Titan Mild

I have the original AlumaHawk, and the V3 with plates, and had no drag with either model.

As is so often the case, I believe you'll find, "YMMV", and as I stated in another thread, my recommendation would be one of the Occam's offerings. Just a touch more efficient than the Hawks, and very pleasant, even on the "aggressive, bar.

I just recently acquired the Hawk V3 SB and the Blackland Vector. Personally, I'm loving this new AC SE experience specifically because it has me refocusing on technique. That's the fun part for me: making shaving a very mindful process. (Ok, I'm also susceptible to the joys of acquiring new shiny toys.) These are not just longer single sided versions of you typical DE razor in terms of how they're best deployed. But clearly great results are possible with both. I'm still learning how to use them to maximum advantage. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Colonial General, too, once it's back in stock.

I've got no experience with the aluminum/V2 model, so no comment on the drag factor. I do love the look of that anodized green, though.
Same here - I've got the Hawk V3-SB and the Vector with both SB and OC plates.

Using the same blade (Feather Professional PB-20) the Vector is significantly more aggressive shaver with either plate. It is easier to shave with, as due to its rather large blade gap, will shave at basically any angle, from steep to shallow.

OTOH, Hawk with its non-existent blade exposure, will be effective only riding the cap at a very shallow angle. IME, Hawk is a MUCH milder razor than Vector.

Of the two, I prefer the Vector.

Top Bottom