What's new

Rough, unclose shave when travelling. Why?

Hi all, I'm currently traveling in Europe. I have been DEing for over two years with great shaves and can't remember the last really lousy shave. But this week I've had two. I often travel with work and can get great shaves wherever I am, but Poland seems to be defeating me and I can't work out why. I had two good shaves elsewhere this week in other locations, but here in the place I'm staying in Warsaw, the two shaves have been rough and not close at all. It may be the water, but I've managed to build good, slick, shiny lathers. But the hairs just don't seem to come off. I've tried changing the blade twice in case of dud(s) but no good.

Any bright ideas as to what might be happening? Going home tomorrow to a long awaited Nuavia and Sudsy Soapery package so I really hope this is a local blip!!

If your post was about having a hard time to lather then i'd say it's something in the water but since this not seem to be the case, could it be as simple as jet lag affecting your technique?

Did TSA (or whatever the security may be called wherever you are) take the blade out of your razor? They did that to me once and I couldn't get a decent shave either.

Are you doing your usual prep? Hot shower, hot towel on your skin before lathering up? Are you doing your usual post-shave routine? I skipped mositurising yesterday and had a less good shave today.

Perhaps a difference in the water? You might try some distilled or bottled water to see if that makes a difference.

Polish water in common with most of Northern Europe is mosly from underground sources and is quite hard. Between that and the differential coriolis effect from a new latitude you'll just have to get used to growing a beard.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
You have me baffled. If you're getting a good slick lather despite any hard water, your should be getting as good a shave as you get anywhere else. As suggested above, jet lag, or maybe a little too much of the local vodka. If you have a 3 piece, check to see that the base plate is installed right side up. Make sure the blade is installed correctly. That's all I have for now.

Thanks all! I tried a warm lather with a different soap (Valobra instead of Haslinger). Much better but still not great - 7/10 tops. Perhaps it was the cold shave that didn't work with the soap/water combination.... here's to hoping tomorrow's shave back home with Nuavia for the first time is back to splendidness! And yes, there was a lot of vodka and heavy wonderful food in my system over the last few shaves!

Are you staying hydrated?

With me, especially during the hot summer days, if I don't drink enough water during the week my skin starts to dry out and that really roughens up my shaves.

Maybe chase the vodka down with some water? Just the akva without the vit? ;-)

But of course, hard water also tends to require a little bit of tweaking but it seems you already have that part figured out.

Different sized bathroom vanities and mirror placements can affect your technique. Check your shaving and viewing angles.

I would recommend, if your not doing so, maybe throwing on a moisturized like jack blacks beard lube to see if it helps performance. If not available, find something else with moisturizing properties and menthol. It could open things up for you and make up for the lost yardage.

There are a lot of factors that can affect your shave. For example the day after i drunk to much alcohol, when i had a hard stressful day at work, i have noticed that my shaves weren't that good as usual. Your Skin will always react to your environment.

Top Bottom