What's new

Rose scented Cologne / Parfum

Good compardres of B&B need some help.
Am after a rose scented fragrance to pair with MDC Rose and who better to gather opinions from than you fellas ?

I do not know MDC Rose. Would you consider it a dark/Otto rose or a tea/English rose?

I am guessing the typical B&B suggestions, all pretty dark rose, and all very good, would be: Domenico Caraceni 1913, Czech & Speake 88, Montale Black Aoud, maybe Tauer Incense Rose, which is obviously incense as well as rose, maybe Le Labo 31 Rose, which has a whole lot going on if I remember, maybe something from Amouge, Lyric, I suppose. Anything that has lots of geranium is going to smell like roses. I am sure I am leaving off something obvious. I do not know Tom Ford Rose *****.

How much are you willing to spend? Maison Francis Kurkdjian "L'Homme A la Rose" is really nice. Pricey though.

When I'm in the mood for rose I hit myself with Thayers Rose followed by a healthy dose of rose water. Then I look for a fragrance that pairs well. There are lots of those.

I am afraid I have never tried the MdC Rose, so I am not familiar with its rose fragrance profile.

On the other hand, I have tried over 100 rose perfumes, so have a decent understanding of the field…

My favorite rose perfume overall is a jammy raspberry spiked rose, coupled with patchouli over Ambrox powerhouse (1 spray is plenty)…. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle

Une Rose, also by Malle (I think it changed its name recently to Rose Tonnerre) is a more airy, natural smelling rose. The previously mentioned Lyric Man by Amouage is another good choice for this kind of a profile, with a darker bent.

If looking for a Rose/Oud combo, then Thirty-Three by Ex Idolo is an excellent smelling choice, IMO. It is a lush, smooth rose with a mix of several smooth real ouds that don’t go too far over-the-top.

If looking for a specific close match to the MdC, I may be able to better make a recommendation if you describe the rose as you smell it.

Good luck!

I am afraid I have never tried the MdC Rose, so I am not familiar with its rose fragrance profile.

On the other hand, I have tried over 100 rose perfumes, so have a decent understanding of the field…

My favorite rose perfume overall is a jammy raspberry spiked rose, coupled with patchouli over Ambrox powerhouse (1 spray is plenty)…. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle

Une Rose, also by Malle (I think it changed its name recently to Rose Tonnerre) is a more airy, natural smelling rose. The previously mentioned Lyric Man by Amouage is another good choice for this kind of a profile, with a darker bent.

If looking for a Rose/Oud combo, then Thirty-Three by Ex Idolo is an excellent smelling choice, IMO. It is a lush, smooth rose with a mix of several smooth real ouds that don’t go too far over-the-top.

If looking for a specific close match to the MdC, I may be able to better make a recommendation if you describe the rose as you smell it.

Good luck!
I would say MdC Rose soap has an earthy, fairly dark rose scent. Not a light, sweet rose. But it is pure and simple rose, and high quality.

czech & speake #88 is a definitive masculine rose, both cologne as well as soap.

czech and speake 88 art of shaving ikon thayers rose witch hazel march 2 2018.jpg

Creed Royal Mayfair and Montale Cafe Intense are both excellent. Roja Dove Amber Aoud is excellent but quite expensive. My all-time favorite is Amouage Homage Attar, but I don’t think it’s available anymore.I also agree with several earlier recommendations like Montale Black Aoud and my wife’s favorite, Domenico Caraceni 1913. My wife wears Portrait of a Lady often, so it is out for me. (It smells great on her and she gets compliments on it nearly every time she wears it, but it is unisex and, despite the name, could easily be worn by a man. It is a powerhouse so use it sparingly)

Last edited:
I do not know MDC Rose. Would you consider it a dark/Otto rose or a tea/English rose?

I am guessing the typical B&B suggestions, all pretty dark rose, and all very good, would be: Domenico Caraceni 1913, Czech & Speake 88, Montale Black Aoud, maybe Tauer Incense Rose, which is obviously incense as well as rose, maybe Le Labo 31 Rose, which has a whole lot going on if I remember, maybe something from Amouge, Lyric, I suppose. Anything that has lots of geranium is going to smell like roses. I am sure I am leaving off something obvious. I do not know Tom Ford Rose *****.
Sorry! As for standard B&B suggestions, I sure missed Creed Mayfair!! A wonderful scent.

Suggestions others have made are likely at least very good, but I either have not tried them or have forgotten exactly what they are like. I forget what attars are? Are they rose and sandalwood? They are at least frequently rose, so a real attar might be a good choice. I just do not know them them as well. Pen's Elisabethian Rose is very tea rose and seems very feminine to me, but it sure is a rose.

Sorry! As for standard B&B suggestions, I sure missed Creed Mayfair!! A wonderful scent.

Suggestions others have made are likely at least very good, but I either have not tried them or have forgotten exactly what they are like. I forget what attars are? Are they rose and sandalwood? They are at least frequently rose, so a real attar might be a good choice. I just do not know them them as well. Pen's Elisabethian Rose is very tea rose and seems very feminine to me, but it sure is a rose.
Creed Mayfair is based on the original Creed Windsor, a limited edition that came out in flacons only around 2010. I participated in a split on this website (remember when we use to do those here?). From what I recall the Windsor was a much heavier Rose than the Windsor. Too heavy for my taste actually. Hard to find and it costs plenty. I think the Perfumed Court has it.

Creed Mayfair is based on the original Creed Windsor, a limited edition that came out in flacons only around 2010. I participated in a split on this website (remember when we use to do those here?). From what I recall the Windsor was a much heavier Rose than the Windsor. Too heavy for my taste actually. Hard to find and it costs plenty. I think the Perfumed Court has it.
Wow. I was thinking of the same split. I thought the Windsor and Mayfair were very much the same, but I have never actually tried the Mayfair. My comments were based on Windsor, which I thought was wonderful. On the other hand, it is not like I went out and bought a bottle of the Mayfair! Creed makes me crazy!

Wow. I was thinking of the same split. I thought the Windsor and Mayfair were very much the same, but I have never actually tried the Mayfair. My comments were based on Windsor, which I thought was wonderful. On the other hand, it is not like I went out and bought a bottle of the Mayfair! Creed makes me crazy!
I found Mayfair different. Not as heavy Rose. Windsor was very unique. I didn't care for it though. Not a fan of Rose scents.

In general good rose scents are expensive, mainly because oil of rose is expensive to produce. The suggestions in earlier posts hit the top 10 or so that are all well worth trying. One or two additional that are more attar than edt are Musk Rose from J.K. DeLapp. Very high quality oils. Lasts 8h on me with decent projection. Sultan‘s Rose from Ensar has a good dose of oud that makes it quite heavy. Very fine rose with depth and longevity. Amouage Homage might be the most accessible rose - very smooth near perfect balance. Maybe lacks the depth of DeLapp or Ensar. The first time I tried it, it was a real eye opener compared to so many synthetics that mention rose in a laundry list of typical notes. Mind blowing!

Top Bottom