What's new

Rooney Update

Gentlemen,

As promised I am reporting back in regards to the Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Super Silvertip I received yesterday. First let me say this IS the most dense brush I own, not that I have many but more dense than my Saville Row 3824. This is a small brush with a 50MM handle and roughly a 47MM loft by my measurement and a 22MM knot. It is by NO means floppy..moppy because of the density and loft. This would make a great soap brush also but it makes a great bowl of lather with no problems at all with creams. I have used it twice with no hair loss. Jim At VintageBlades was fantastic to deal with as always & sent some generous samples of cream to break the brush in with. The loft is shorter than what the specs say on Jim's web page based on the old specs before he had them made to shorter lofts. This brush transfers the lather to your face very well and has a soft feel but firm. I highly recommend this brush.

Regards,

Gentlemen,

As promised I am reporting back in regards to the Rooney Style 3 Size 1 Super Silvertip I received yesterday. First let me say this IS the most dense brush I own, not that I have many but more dense than my Saville Row 3824. This is a small brush with a 50MM handle and roughly a 47MM loft by my measurement and a 22MM knot. It is by NO means floppy..moppy because of the density and loft. This would make a great soap brush also but it makes a great bowl of lather with no problems at all with creams. I have used it twice with no hair loss. Jim At VintageBlades was fantastic to deal with as always & sent some generous samples of cream to break the brush in with. The loft is shorter than what the specs say on Jim's web page based on the old specs before he had them made to shorter lofts. This brush transfers the lather to your face very well and has a soft feel but firm. I highly recommend this brush.

Regards,

Glad to hear it!

J

Great.
I have a SR 3824 and a 3320. Overall I prefer the smaller brush and use it more but the one complaint I have is the smaller handle.
I've been looking at the Rooney 3/small for a while now - the handle is identical to the AOS starter brush I had and I loved that handle. I only use creams and I usually lather in a bowl so a longer, comfortable handle works best for me.
I was worried that Jim's Rooney's might almost be too dense for creams since he does have them custom made and packed more densely. But you and others seem to think the #3 works just fine w/ creams.

Now I do prefer smaller brushes - is it safe to assume that the Rooney #3/s from Jim would act/feel more like my SR 20mm knot than my 24mm? I haven't used a fan style knot in a while.
I like the 3824 a lot, but prefer the smaller brush for everyday use - usually bust out the bigger one on the weekends.

thanks

My Rooney 1 Small feels pretty close in size to my SR3120. Based on the info presented above, it appears to have a similar loft as my 1 so the 3/1 should be closer to your 20 than your 24.

Before I get flooded with requests for the "New Specs" of the Rooneys that I have on hand, just let me say this. The specifications as published on the site are those supplied by Rooney. They represent the factory norm. The only variable has been in the brush loft. I had noticed, particularly in some of the Ebony brushes, that the lofts tended to be far above the norm and even more so in the larger sizes, regardless of handle color.

What I have asked Lee Sabini to do it to bring the loft back to a range that I feel is more "in tune" with the requirements of my US customer base. I really do not want to, not do I have the time to, get into measuring the loft of individual brushes. Suffice it to say that as I am able to rotate in the new stock, these brushes will have lofts that are under the dimensions as specified on the site by as much as 10%.

Since this is a relatively new requirement that I have placed on the company, not all brushes will have seen this change. I view this as a positive thing, since I have found that whatever I do, not all of you like it. So in the interim, there will be some brushes in some models with taller and shorter lofts available. The reality is, given the relative small size of my company and the limited inventory of brushes on hand, it won't be that long before the switch over is made in its entirety. Until that switch over is made and I see a consistency in the loft from lot to lot, the specifications of the site will stay as they are.

This is just the latest in a number of collaborative efforts that have been made with Lee Sabini to bring to you a better product. After all, that's what it's this is all about - you and your needs, your wants.

Note To the Mods: Please guys leave this here. It's not promotional.

Thanks for clearing this up - I think this will avoid a flurry of "have you heard about the "special" Rooneys" threads.

Brushes come in either fan or bulb style knots.
Shavemacs and Savile Rows, for example, are bulb style brushes - the hair on the outside is shorter and gradually gets taller in the middle and peaks at the center.
Fan styles take on a more flat or arched shape.

It's just a personal preference thing.
Hopefully someone has a good side by side pic to illustrate the differences.

Brushes come in either fan or bulb style knots.
Shavemacs and Savile Rows, for example, are bulb style brushes - the hair on the outside is shorter and gradually gets taller in the middle and peaks at the center.
Fan styles take on a more flat or arched shape.

It's just a personal preference thing.
Hopefully someone has a good side by side pic to illustrate the differences.

full

The two brushes, numbers three and four from the left, are of the lightbulb style. The others are trapezium or fan shaped. They are Edw. Jagger for C&E, Vulfix Old Original, Shavemac, Savile Row, and Kent. Each manufacturer has their own, unique signature shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really, really wanting to get one of these bad boys:
Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 2 (Medium) Jim, I hope it was ok to link the pic from your site.
proxy.php

You guys think this would be a good brush for both soap and cream?

Steve

Uh oh, I have to stay off of Vintageblades site LOL:
Rooney Style 1 Size 2 (Medium) - Faux Ebony - "Super"
proxy.php

Is that the one, mpakosta? Tis beautiful in ebony.

Steve

Top Bottom