What's new

Rooney Heritage Alibaba

Hi all,

I recently received an Alibaba 1. It looks superb, and the hair seems great. I have not used it.

I feel I made the wrong decision and bought too small.

For reference, I really liked the size of the 3/1 I had, so shall I go for the size 2 or 3, or another of the Heritage line?

I think I've decided that I'm not keen on stubby/chubby handles, although I have yet to try any size of the style 1s.

Thoughts welcomed!

John

I've got the Alibaba 2 Heritage and it's pretty perfect for face lathering or with a bowl. My Stubby 2 is obviously larger but still can face lather with no problems but with greater coverage.

I would probably get a size 1 Rooney mainly for face lathering. As I have two smaller brushes that take a lot of work in the bowl and don't hold as much lather. But to be honest I like the range of brushes and the variety ...

I don't have any size 1 brushes to compare it against really, what sort of lathering to do you do normally, and why do you think the size 1 isn't for you?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wish there was a bricks and mortar store in London that stocked the Heritage line so I could see some in real life before buying. Would save a lot of hassle!

Seems rather odd that I have to order from the States to buy a brush made over here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wish there was a bricks and mortar store in London that stocked the Heritage line so I could see some in real life before buying. Would save a lot of hassle!

Seems rather odd that I have to order from the States to buy a brush made over here.

That is odd. I always thought London was awash in shaving goods stores. :euro:

Yes you are wrong sir, there is no point complaining that Tesco or Walmart does not stock this line of brushes because ultimately you wouldn't want to purchase such an exclusive product from them in the first place.

As for availability...well unfortunately the UK streets are not paved with DR Harris, Penhaligon's or Simpson's either. Hopefully this forum with it's experienced members and retailers should allow you with the correct questioning to make a more considered and relevant purchasing decision in the future.

Last edited:
Consider a Victorian - I bought one on BST recently and find it to be outstanding in every way. Density is amazing and the long, slim handle is quite different from the rest of my brushes.

So there are bricks and mortar stores that stock the Heritage line? Mind telling me where? Would be very helpful.

No sir you are mistaken for wishing that these stores existed, as you stated and I explained.

You said "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wish..."

Anyway they don't exist, it's like complaining that my corner shop doesn't stock
foie grase and good claret. It doesn't it stocks potato chips and Coke.

Consider a Victorian - I bought one on BST recently and find it to be outstanding in every way. Density is amazing and the long, slim handle is quite different from the rest of my brushes.

I'm glad you're happy with it Rick. It is an outstanding brush.

John,

If you feel the Alibaba 1 is too small, by all means size up. If it is the handle that attracted you, then get the 2. I have one and what others here have said holds true. If it is simply the Heritage line that has your interest, then perhaps you should try the Victorian. The Emillion has the same knot as the Victorian, so you could also consider that. Or, as previously stated, get one of each, try them each for seven consecutive days, then sell off those that don't suit your taste.

Mike

The Heritages are just wonderful brushes, plain and simple. +1 on the Victorian/Emillion knot (your handle preference may vary). Both my Victorian and Size 1 Beehive have good backbones and soft tips, and handle both soaps and creams with aplomb.

The Heritages are just wonderful brushes, plain and simple. +1 on the Victorian/Emillion knot (your handle preference may vary). Both my Victorian and Size 1 Beehive have good backbones and soft tips, and handle both soaps and creams with aplomb.

Well, there you go John. You've either opened a can of worms or Pandora's box, I'm not sure which. It would seem that you will have to order every model of Rooney Heritage brush available. Be sure to post reviews of these fine products.

So there are bricks and mortar stores that stock the Heritage line? Mind telling me where? Would be very helpful.

The Trumper's shops in Curzon Street and Jermyn street have most of them, but they are branded Trumpers. They'll do mail order if you call them and know exactly what you want.

The Trumper's shops in Curzon Street and Jermyn street have most of them, but they are branded Trumpers. They'll do mail order if you call them and know exactly what you want.

Great! And are they the exact same brushes, just with different logo? Are they of comparable price, or are they marked up?

At least I'll be able to handle them before ordering online, if it works out cheaper.

John

I've just ordered the size 2.

It should be just a touch bigger. My 3/1 was pretty much perfect size-wise, and although the Ali 1 has the same length handle, felt smaller for some reason. The 2 has a more substantial handle yet still a relatively short loft (48mm). Should be great. Now the waiting game begins!

How do the knots on the Ali and Emillion differ?

I've just ordered the size 2.

It should be just a touch bigger. My 3/1 was pretty much perfect size-wise, and although the Ali 1 has the same length handle, felt smaller for some reason. The 2 has a more substantial handle yet still a relatively short loft (48mm). Should be great. Now the waiting game begins!

How do the knots on the Ali and Emillion differ?

According to Vintage Blades, the size 2 Ali has a 20 mm knot, whereas the Emillion/Victorian have 24 mm knots. They also have 50 mm lofts. The Ali is comparable to the small Beehive. I think you will be very pleased.

Alibaba 3 is little floppy, so I suggest Emillion.

Not true sir. You have uttered an insult and besmirched the reputation of my lady. I hereby challenge you to a duel to resolve this matter. Ha!

This is my personal favorite of all the Heritage brushes. I probably use it more than my Emillion, and I use that one a lot.

Top Bottom