What's new

Rolls Razor Handle / Cracked Hone Question

Hello folks,

Received my first Rolls Razor in the mail today.

My first question is regarding the handle - it seems to have a spring loaded catch at the top.
Is the razor blade supposed to have a corresponding notch for the ball catch? I'm wondering if I have a mismatched handle and razor.

Secondly, my hone has a hairline crack towards one end. Is this going to be very detrimental or can it be overlooked?

Some pictures...

Sadly someone tried unscrewing the handle with pliers (and I don't think this particular version unscrews) and it wrecked a lot of the finish.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 14
R

romsitsa

Hello, I think you have a one piece handle with a spring loaded ball (or a two piece with a spring loaded ball). Try to compress it with a screwdriver, if its "springy", it's a ball.
Another version of the handle has a short rod in place of the ball, it's lowered by unscrewing the handle.
The blade doesn't have any recess to accept the ball/rod, it's simply held in place by friction.

Iirc one pushes the blade on the stone side (the strop side is pulled), so the crack could catch the blade.
You could cut a piece of hard plastic to the shape of the stone and glue on some lapping film, can't help on what grit to use.

Lapping film... Now there's an idea that has a good deal of currency. I've never worked with it before, but I assume it can't crack or break like a stone can ;)

Is that correct?

Lapping film... Now there's an idea that has a good deal of currency. I've never worked with it before, but I assume it can't crack or break like a stone can ;)

Is that correct?
It's like plastic sandpaper. You use it on a flat, stable piece of <something>. I used 1 1/2" thick piece of acrylic. So It would be difficult to break. Some people use tiles, which could break.

Top Bottom