What's new

Roger Federer wins the French Open!!

...and cements his place in sports history as one of if not the greatest pro tennis player ever.

He is the Babe Ruth/Michael Jordan/Tiger Woods of his sport.

I hope you got to see it.

Last edited:
I saw it.
Wow! My fingers were crossed till the end! I feared the worse could happen after that bizarre Spanish guy invaded the court. But in the end Federer managed pretty well to overcome the stress. It was not the best match I've ever watched but some of the passes were really great. And man, the quantity of aces...!!
(I must say I got a bit emotional myself when he started crying...)

Congratulations Roger. This victory was well deserved! :thumbup:

Congratulations to Roger!

His 14th Grand Slam win ties him with Pete Sampras. However, Sampras never won a French Open.

Wimbledon starts on June 22. Maybe he can get number 15.

We should also congratulate Robin Soderling on a fantastic tournament. It was truly amazing to see the 23rd seed end up in the finals. Along the way, he beat Kevin Kim (unseeded), Denis Istomin (unseeded), David Ferrer (14), Rafael Nadal (1), Nikolay Davydenko (10), and Fernando Gonzalez (12).

he did not face the best clay court opponent(Nadal), but he did overcome the guy who beat Nadal, so he gets props for that. Overall, he is higher than Sampras and has been as dominant as Tiger.

Both Jordan(teammates& refs) and Babe(never played against any of the top black players of his era) needed help in winning-both were great talents in their sports. That does not diminish what they accomplished in the least(which is hard for me to say seeing as how I root for the Knicks in basketball and the Red Sox in baseball.)

marty

he did not face the best clay court opponent(Nadal), but he did overcome the guy who beat Nadal, so he gets props for that. Overall, he is higher than Sampras and has been as dominant as Tiger.

Although, it should be noted that he did beat Nadal earlier this year on clay.

I am happy for him. He is a class act and, IMO, a much better role model than a lot of the stars in other sports.

I missed it, but that's a great accomplishment! I never though that I would see someone as dominant as Sampras when he came along... much less this soon with another guy on his heels.

And how fitting that André Agassi was the one to deliver the cup.

We was the last player to win the 5 Grand Slam opens. Exactly ten years ago and at Roland Garros.

:thumbup:

Top Bottom