What's new

Rockwell T2 stainless steel

Huh? The chrome T2 doesn't have alot of blade feel at all. It's a very gentle shaving machine. I dont have it anymore but from what I remember it wasnt much harsher than my EJ 89.

Out of memory I would even say they are equally smooth.

Huh? The chrome T2 doesn't have alot of blade feel at all. It's a very gentle shaving machine. I dont have it anymore but from what I remember it wasnt much harsher than my EJ 89.

Out of memory I would even say they are equally smooth.
Thank you. The EJ is basically identically to mühle. What setting on the t2 are you talking about?

Having a DE89 and a 6S I think I know what you are asking. Regardless of model T2 I would feel comfortable saying that anything under 3 and you are definitely in that ball park. I believe the 6S on 3 is like a .72 gap if memory serves me correctly but its very smooth at that setting.

The gaps on the Stainless Steel are different to the regular T2 also. The Stainless steel is more mild. I am waiting on Rockwell to email back but I am sure that I am correct.

The regular T2 is pretty smooth and mild on the lower settings. As far as the 6S goes I enjoy it on settings 3 and 4. It's basically on cruise control at those levels.
I haven't got my DE89 handy but the 6S is floating around and my T model razors are sitting in front of me now. Out of interest what blades do you prefer in the 6S?

Hi.
I prefer Gillette Platinum and Perma Sharp, but ASP work too.
At the moment i enjoy the cheap (widely unknown) Giesen und Forsthoff Timor cc, which is a mild yet efficient razor similar to 34c and mühle R89. Has less blade feel than the merkur and the mühle but for me more efficient.
Additionally I can state that I also tried the feather as-d2 and the Tatara muramasa but didn't like them. So I'm a bit cautious meanwhile.

An easy Sunday morning shave. The Bic might have given its last shave as there was a bit of tugging at the beginning. It settled in after a couple of strokes and I finished off the shave but, time for a fresh one next go around. Still the feeling with the T2 SS is quite docile in that it will not come close to making one pay the price for an error in technique nor for a blade that is not up to par. The razor is quite forgiving more so than the Brass/Zamak T2. Feeling and smelling like a Million Bucks. Fine shave it was despite the blade going south.

Great shaves to all...

997C4AEA-6658-49C9-AD8D-73B91C1CAEB7.jpeg

Aaahh, a new blade installed and it was slice & dice of the whiskers with a calmness yet definitive efficiency that was evident from the moment the razor made its first stroke and on. Love it when a fresh blade does what it is intended to do. BBS in 3 satisfyingly smooth passes without a single incident. Slight buff on the chin but, it was just to use up some lather as I had copious amounts from the Rockwell shave cream from a small dollop smaller than half an almond. The more I use this stuff, the better it rewards with excellent lubrication and protection. The T2 SS wasn’t to shabby either.

Great shaves to all…

FA3E6520-B084-4DE3-86B4-9D0317D3204B.jpeg

Hi.
I prefer Gillette Platinum and Perma Sharp, but ASP work too.
At the moment i enjoy the cheap (widely unknown) Giesen und Forsthoff Timor cc, which is a mild yet efficient razor similar to 34c and mühle R89. Has less blade feel than the merkur and the mühle but for me more efficient.
Additionally I can state that I also tried the feather as-d2 and the Tatara muramasa but didn't like them. So I'm a bit cautious meanwhile.
Interesting. I forgot to mention I have the Merkur 34c. I have the AS-D2 razor but rarely use this one without using a feather blade and have had one of my best shaves with it. As for the Tatara Muramasa I also have that one too but feel I need more time with it because it is a complicated razor especially if you play around with the settings but have had a few decent shaves with it. I'm not convinced I have found perfection in it yet but I recall wizamet blades being decent in this razor for me as well as the BiC chrome platinum's. I will have to get back to these razors particularly the Muramasa razor.

As far as blades go I feel like you and I share some similarities. Gillette Platinum and to a lesser extent (due to availability and costs) the Gillette Perma-sharp blades are some of my favourites so we aren't very far apart. It's been many years since I have used Astra Superior Platinum but enjoyed them when I first started out with my DE89.

What I may try do is to compare the 6S on setting 3 for you side by side with the Rockwell T2 stainless steel and maybe the T2 if you would like me to give you a fresh opinion on the two razors. Since the Gillette platinum is kinda my go to blade I will use that blade as my basis.

The Giesen und Forsthoff Timor cc looks interesting.

--------------

Forgot to post the above but have since had a shave with the T2SS and the 6S both on setting three with the same Gillette Platinum blade on it's third use.
The T2SS is definitely not as efficient as the 6S on the same settings but I fully expected that just as much as I expected the 6S to feel more substantial and firm but given the design that is hardly of surprise. Whilst the two were on setting three I felt as though they were both smooth although I award the 6S the point given that it delivered a more efficient shave whilst also maintaining a level of smoothness that was satisfying where as the T2SS on setting three was not as efficient.
I eventually upped the setting to four on the T2SS which was much better and I finished the shave with the T2SS. It wasn't a bad shave but I did end up with a little razor burn however I do want to explain that his could have been due to me focusing on trying to compare each razor than the shave as a whole which probably would have turned out a lot better had I just used one razor and paid more attention to the shave itself using a more appropriate setting from the start.

Initially I wanted to use two fresh Gillette Platinum blades but the cheapness in me wouldn't let me be commit to using two blades at once. I don't know, it just seemed wasteful but I imagine the shave may have went better if I did although I usually can use these blades up to at least 5 shaves without any real issue.

In regards to the T2SS razor being aggressive that is simply not true. I am still awaiting an email back from Rockwell and am not sure that reply will actually come but the T2SS does have a home in my collection.

Last edited:
Nothing new to divulge and as the old saying goes “no news is good news” and boring or uneventful might be a good thing for some. A solid shave from 3 easy passes via the traditional method, WTG, XTG & ATG. The T2 SS handled 2 days of growth without a hiccup on both face & neck. Took my time this evening and employed some skin stretching to get a deeper and fuller shave result. A BBS finish just as Dr. Wetshave had ordered. A good bracing splash via Chanel with the fragrance as the cherry on top. Now I’ll pour meself a 3 finger measure or thereabouts of Knob Creek 12 Year and look at the stars for a bit.

Great shaves to all….

C38AC12A-B91B-4428-A98A-D7FD7813D08D.jpeg

Crisp and cool Sunday morning with an excellent shave to start things off on the right foot. The usual 3 pass affair with the T2 & Bic combo leaves my skin free of whiskers including nics, cuts and weepers. Though, today I gave myself a slight bit of irritation along both jawlines as the alum pass proved. I got a little overzealous in picking up some pesky stragglers and sometimes when you go a little extra, you get extra. Cold water rinse and splash and that was gone in minutes. Nothing to do with the razor, just the moronic owner losing his shave mind for a minute. In the end a great shave. Eggs, Canadian Bacon, toast and coffee on the menu.

Great shaves to all…

A24113D1-7382-45B6-8D25-DF6C08A6CD73.jpeg

Easy and uneventful shave this morning. The razor, soap, blade and brush all performed like they have in the previous shaves. The T2 hasn’t been an eye opener or has produced an “oh wow” moment but, it has performed at a steady and consistent action every time during this event. It works at the adjustments I’ve had it at without a single issue. It clears out stubble, it rinses easily and it operates as good as any well made adjustable that I have used to date. The tto mechanism may take a few more turns to open & close fully but, that doesn’t detract from the robust build quality it has. Industrial and workmanlike look that just works and works well indeed.

Great shaves to all….

E590C93E-1955-40E3-A483-BFF87008B753.jpeg

Brand new Bic blade and off to the races as they say. 3 very smooth passes that removed a little over 24 hours worth of whisker growth. Started as setting #6 and finished it with the T2 at about #4.5 or thereabouts. I don’t have one thing bad to say about this razor. Personally, I would have preferred that the razor have a bit more blade feel and would have offered a bit more blade reveal with the slightest in positive blade exposure to give it some extra ooomph. But, it works as it stands and it will work for a good number of wet shavers out there looking for a quality TTO that so far for me has the craftsmanship to back it up.

Great shaves to all….

0A9BC9C7-21BD-4D21-A3DB-366A78A502C8.jpeg

I see some photos with fragrances out under the sun. Those are meant to be kept out of the sun.

It's probably fine to put them out for a few seconds to take a photo, though for prolonged periods, i keep them in a closed cabinet.

A nice comfy shave this evening. Nothing riveting to say or exciting to announce. To be honest, the T2 SS from Rockwell has been a no nonsense shaver, workmanlike if one could classify a razor in such classes or groupings. I felt in the beginning of this fixed event that perhaps I had made a bad choice in taking the T2 for a month long shave chase As I just felt it wasn’t going to give me the blade feel that I prefer in my razors. Slowly but, surely though it proved me otherwise as it just gives consistently smooth, comfortable and nicely efficient shaves. The time spent with it really forced me to focus on technique & execution of said technique to maximize the attributes that the T2 possesses. Not a bad razor at all. Might just get one more in before all is said & done.

Great shaves to all…

939A8A19-FFF1-40D7-90EE-23F8D2BD5085.jpeg

I couldn't resist but to shave with the Rockwell T2 in stainless steel today and I am so glad I did. It performed the best to date and is one for the books. It was probably a lucky shave but it honestly performed better than any T or T2 razor I have ever used and right up there with my best razors.
An absolute BBS without leaving anything on the table.
It has been a while since I used an Astra blade so I figured that I would give it a shot. The Astra SP blade has impressed and worked very well with the T2 today.

I utilized the technique of starting on the highest setting (6) on the first pass (wtg), setting 3 (xtg) and setting 1 on the final pass (atg) but honestly found setting one to seem too mild so I upped it to 2 then 3 to buff.

Considering all the variables I would be foolish not to mention that I did finally use the Rockwell shaving cream I was given and without overstating it or coming across as biased it was pretty fantastic. It may have been in part due to the fact that I took a larger portion than most would from the top of the lid but that aside the lather was dense and creamy with a low structure. It supported quite a lot of water also and was very slick. I am curious as to who makes this soap. I can only think of one Canadian soap maker if it is indeed locally sourced but the name escapes me. Regardless this does inspire me to look more closely at Canadian made soaps so if anyone has any pointers in that direction then that would be great.
Would I buy this soap if I could? Yes!

In regards to the razor it is a very fine razor, the only concern that remains is that perhaps it may be too mild for some but that is subjective and as time goes on and availability improves (as I understand it the razor is now available again) then we may see some more opinions on it. I do feel that setting 6 should be adequate for anyone but if you already own a T2 and find it too mild even on setting 6 then this razor may not be for you but if you found it too harsh particularly above setting 3 then this razor will be a perfect fit for you as you will be able to get full use out of all settings on the T2 in stainless steel.
What I will say is if you can get your hands on it to trial if you have a friend nearby that is will to lend it to you then I encourage you to do so as its a very nice razor that shaves very well.

There is no doubt that there is a difference between this T2 and the previous T2 model in regards to blade gap and efficiency but give the way it performed today I am so glad I have it and will likely see myself using this razor more often than any other Rockwell razor that I have. Given it is stainless steel I feel more assured that it will last and have no hangups to using it in the future.

Truly excellent shave.

I paid much less than what it currently sells at and also own a Tatara Muramasa. They are both great razors but they were not close then and not close now in costs. I also got my Muramasa on sale too.

The one thing I would like to know is where the Rockwell T2 SS is made. I too was disappointed that the 6S was never offered in a polished version and still firmly believe it was a huge misstep on their behalf to not offer it. Yes, they have the 6C but that is not Stainless Steel and white chrome coated.
I sincerely hope that Rockwell make more coatings/finishes available for the Rockwell T2 as its definitely a lovely razor. I know it has also been mentioned that it would be nice if Rockwell could make shorter handles. It's not so much of an issue for me but it would probably be nice if they can get the balance right. Ultimately anything that could open this razor up to more customers is a good thing.

I feel like the overall quality of the T2 SS is a lot better than the previous models at least mine was. Of course this has to be a matter of consistency across many buyers so that is still up for debate.

In all fairness I sometimes see newer 6S razors that look vastly brighter than mine and I have taken good care of mine so I don't know if it just dulls over the years or what so I can see why people do not like it. I'm not sure if the same will happen to the T2 SS but just like the 6S it should and would continue to be a great shaver even today.
how does the tatara compare to the T2? More aggressive, less? I am curious to see your opinion.

how does the tatara compare to the T2? More aggressive, less? I am curious to see your opinion.
I will try squeeze in a shave with the Tatara Muramasa tomorrow with the same Astra blade I used for the last shave with the T2 as well as the same Rockwell shaving cream to keep things a little more consistent.
It's been a while since I have used it so maybe it's best for me to give it a level playing field. I may have mentioned before that I need to gather more experience with the Muramasa razor so I feel like now is a good time to run it through its paces.

Looking at my notes it seems through no fault of its own I haven't always given the Muramasa the greatest of opportunities to perform at its best so I am eager to shave with it again tomorrow. I feel like the Astra SP blade will be a good match for this razor so I am pretty excited about that.

Make no mistake the Muramasa is a great razor but as to how it compares to the T2 in stainless steel is something I will definitely look for during this upcoming shave.

Top Bottom