What's new

Rockwell Blade Combos?

@mjclark

You are the first to make a comparison of Rockwell plates, something very useful IMHO.

You said:

R4 = Gillette New
R5 = Shavecraft Tech
R6 = Mühle r41

Any idea how you can compare the R1, r2 and r3 plates?

So far I've run the Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless and Gillette Silver Blue using the 6s and plates 3 and 4. Both performed so closely that if the razor had been blind loaded with either I could not tell them apart. At this point I believe that with any good quality blade the Rockwell will deliver.

@mjclark

You are the first to make a comparison of Rockwell plates, something very useful IMHO.

You said:

R4 = Gillette New
R5 = Shavecraft Tech
R6 = Mühle r41

Any idea how you can compare the R1, r2 and r3 plates?
I also find some similarities between #5 and the FaTip.
I haven’t actually tried plates 1, 2, 3.
I imagine they equate to things like the Gillette Tech and Feather DE and that 1 is not for full shaving but for trimming sensitive areas...
... perhaps someone who regularly uses these plates could comment.

So far I've run the Gillette 7o'clock Super Stainless and Gillette Silver Blue using the 6s and plates 3 and 4. Both performed so closely that if the razor had been blind loaded with either I could not tell them apart. At this point I believe that with any good quality blade the Rockwell will deliver.
Yes it is seeming that all good blades like the Rockwell!

I haven’t actually tried plates 1, 2, 3.
I imagine they equate to things like the Gillette Tech and Feather DE and that 1 is not for full shaving but for trimming sensitive areas...
... perhaps someone who regularly uses these plates could comment.

Yes it is seeming that all good blades like the Rockwell!

I have really razor sensitive skin, so I really like #1 #2 #3. (I found #4 too aggressive for daily shaving, and I haven't tried #5 or #6)

#2 is my favorite I can get perfect shaves with 3 passes and a Gillette yellow on auto pilot. Zero irritation, burn, ingrowns, bumps or Nick's. I don't know what I would compare this one to, I just love it.

#3 is just as good as #2 with slight more blade feel and tad more efficient in 2 passes. I would compare this one to an American Aristocrat.

#1 is great if I feel like shaving again with less than 24 hours worth of stubble. I would compare this one to a tech.

Rockwell blades suck imo. I use #3 plate. GSB still sharp after 4th shaves. Rockwell feels dull already on 2nd shave.
GSB I can raise all the residue putting it under the tab but not so with the Rockwell. I still have residue left behind.

Just ran a Kai through my 6s/R3 combo this a.m. and the Rockwell did make the Kai perform noticeably better than it did in vintage Gillettes like my '61 Fatboy.

If you're someone that finds a blade like the Gillette Silver Blue "too sharp", the Kai might be worth sampling. For me it's GSB or 7OC Super Stainless for every day shaving :)

Just ran a Kai through my 6s/R3 combo this a.m. and the Rockwell did make the Kai perform noticeably better than it did in vintage Gillettes like my '61 Fatboy.

If you're someone that finds a blade like the Gillette Silver Blue "too sharp", the Kai might be worth sampling. For me it's GSB or 7OC Super Stainless for every day shaving :)
I like the Kais and was wondering if their extra width might change the geometry of the Rockwell making it less (or maybe more!) smooth or more aggressive.
It’s good to hear that they too work well.

I like the Kais and was wondering if their extra width might change the geometry of the Rockwell making it less (or maybe more!) smooth or more aggressive.
It’s good to hear that they too work well.

I may try the same Kai tomorrow also. In my vintage Gillette's they were intolerable but really not too shabby in the Rockwell :thumbsup:

I may try the same Kai tomorrow also. In my vintage Gillette's they were intolerable but really not too shabby in the Rockwell :thumbsup:
Yes the extra blade width of the Kais really messes with some razors.
A half Kai blade was equally intolerable for me in the Focus Dynamic SE but worked beautifully in the Focus Slim shavette.

So I used a vintage British Wilkinson blade in the Rockwell on R6:
D17C3D7B-C6CC-4653-BDC0-D58FF6E17B7E.jpeg

An incredibly smooth and sharp blade in an incredibly smooth and efficient razor - you don’t have to be an Advanced Shaving Scientist to know that this was one excellent shave!

I've had good luck with Plate 4 and Israeli Personna Red, Gillette Platinum and Feather blades. The Personna blades are not as smooth as the other two, in my opinion.

For this morning's shave, a new combination for me ---- Rockwell 6C, plate R4, with a fresh Gillette Silver Blue.
Quite a lovely shave, extremely similar to my "gold standard," ... the 6C (plate R4) loaded with a Gillette Nacet.

For this morning's shave, a new combination for me ---- Rockwell 6C, plate R4, with a fresh Gillette Silver Blue.
Quite a lovely shave, extremely similar to my "gold standard," ... the 6C (plate R4) loaded with a Gillette Nacet.

My two favorite blades now for my 6s. I was using the 7 o'clock blacks and yellows, and you guys got me to try the Nacet and GSB. Fantastic combos, and great blades by themselves.

This morning I had my first shave with the Balzano Superinox using plate R3. This blades feels very similar to the Kai and 7o'clock Super Stainless. Very smooth without feeling "too sharp". This is my ideal sweet spot for blade comfort.

If I didn't know what blade had been loaded I would have sworn it was the 7o'clock Super Stainless.

If the rest of the week with the Balzano goes as smoothly, there will definitely be a bulk purchase in my near future :)

I prefer Astra SP over Feather and Nacet in my 6S so far. I will likely try a new candidate next week. The Astra felt great and gave me a great, close shave all week long. The Feather felt a little harsh. The Nacet blade started out this week okay but is not shaving as well as it did at the start of the week of shaves; more specifically, the shave is not as close.

Top Bottom