What's new

Rockwell Blade Combos?

I absolutely love both my Rockwell 6s and 6c because they have PERFECT geometry and I mean perfect!
It’s so good I wonder if it was an accident since it beats the shaves from many long established razor manufacturers who’ve had a lot more practice.
In any case, the shaves from these razors are so good that it’s pulled me right back into DE shaving.

So what blades are working best in the Rockwell for you guys?

I had a Personna 74 in the 6c and it was quite amazing from the start.
And I had a Voskhod in the 6s which was harsh for the first shave and great for the next three.

Completely agree about the 6S and (in my case) 2C - absolutely wonderful; the geometry is perfect. My favourite is the Gillette 6oclock yellow sharpedge which I find sharp and smooth in the Rockwells.

I have 6s and I found it pairs well with many blades. Smooth easy shaver indeed. I use it mostly with plates 6 and 5.

Anything I put in my 6s works well. I use it on plate 6 exclusively with Astra Green, GSB’s, and even Feathers with no issues...

Very interesting responses so far!
It definitely sounds like the Rockwell prefers sharper blades.
I really like 7 O’Clock Yellows and it’s looking very promising for them as well as the other St Petersburg blades.

I used a Tesco Israeli Personna with plate #6 today and it was very very good.
Extremely smooth (it felt like one of those vintage British Wilkinson blades in this razor) and considerably sharper than the Voskhod.

The Voskhod was the first blade I’d tried in the R6s and to be honest the Tesco IP is just so much better in every way.
It gave me the same kind of shave as I was getting with the Personna 74 in the R6c.
36657AFA-EFB1-4F27-8CDD-DAC4B6974106.jpeg

I’m still blown away by how good the geometry is on the Rockwell - with plate #6 it’s giving me shaves approaching the territory of the Shavecraft Tech and R41 but so much smoother and better behaved while on plate #4 it’s at least as good as a Gillette NEW.

It’s also amazing that it shaves so well every time with the differing blade gaps of plate #s 4 5 and 6.
How do they do that?

Has anybody used a Kai with the Rockwell?
The Kais are wider than standard DE blades and that totally screwed the geometry on the Focus Dynamic SE.
I’m wondering if the Kais extra width messes with the Rockwell’s performance too.

Rockwell 6c here - plate 4 mostly.
Astra
Wilkinson
GSB
Nacet (not my favorite blade, but works)
+ others.

All seem to work very well in the razor for me. I have even been getting 3 good shaves per Rockwell blade lately. Rockwell blades are not the best, but on par with Derby I think. BBS for the first 2 shaves with little effort, just need a good lather.

Rockwell 6c here - plate 4 mostly.
Astra
Wilkinson
GSB
Nacet (not my favorite blade, but works)
+ others.

All seem to work very well in the razor for me. I have even been getting 3 good shaves per Rockwell blade lately. Rockwell blades are not the best, but on par with Derby I think. BBS for the first 2 shaves with little effort, just need a good lather.
It’s encouraging that the Rockwell seems to work well with most blades.

It’s odd that the OEM blades are so meh when the razor is so phenomenal.
Again this suggests that the perfect geometry of the razor may have an element of luck in it as well as intelligent design.

I just completed shave #4 with a Tesco Israeli Personna and the results were very good indeed.
It’s a smooth sharp consistent blade.

Plate #5 is suiting me for daily shaving with plate #6 if I’ve skipped a day.
For me the face feel after the shave is very different between plate #s 5 and 6.

With plate #5 my face feels a lot like with the Shavecraft Tech afterwards, like sandstone.
With #6 it feels more waxy like the R41.
I prefer the feeling from plate #5 but the longevity of the shaves from plate #6 is unbeatable.

Hi mjclark ..... I'm assuming that your Tesco Israeli Personna is the same blade as the more commonly found
Israeli Red Personna. I'm very happy to hear from you that the Rockwell gets along well with the Personna, and I'm waiting to hear what you think about how the Nacet compares. Isn't this a great hobby ?!

Hi mjclark ..... I'm assuming that your Tesco Israeli Personna is the same blade as the more commonly found
Israeli Red Personna. I'm very happy to hear from you that the Rockwell gets along well with the Personna, and I'm waiting to hear what you think about how the Nacet compares. Isn't this a great hobby ?!
Yes those Tesco IPs are really nice blades and I got four good shaves on one in the Rockwell with plate #s 5 and 6.
I’ve assumed they’re the same as the Reds but nobody seems to be sure - they might be the Crystals also.

And Nacets come out of the St.Petersburg plant for export to the Middle East so perhaps they are some kind of rebranded 7 O’Clock??

Ha ha you’re right this IS such a great hobby!

So I did a shave off between the Rockwell and the 2011 R41 using a new Astra in each:
2011 R41 - The Quest Achieved!
933ED62F-6751-4949-BEDB-9373E2EE4170.jpeg

The Astra worked brilliantly in the Rockwell and it’s becoming clear that the Rockwell is happy with most blades.
You can see from the photo that Vicco was very pleased - as always!

Vicco's smile is terrific. I'm glad you're both happy.
I just read your post about the comparison shave ---- nice work !

I tried a Bic chrome in this razor and must report the results are very impressive.
The Nacet was the bench mark to beat and the Bic has done it.
The think the sharpness test on "redefined shave" have been replicated by my results with the Bic.
I recognize the bic is a polarizing blade , but these work for me.
On the WTG pass I could not feel the blade at all.The other passes were smooooth and close.
For the record this was the 6c on base plate 2.

I'd not had great shaves with my 6c until I popped in a nacet blade and wow! I had a week of truly incredible shaves.

I tried a Bic chrome in this razor and must report the results are very impressive.
The Nacet was the bench mark to beat and the Bic has done it.
The think the sharpness test on "redefined shave" have been replicated by my results with the Bic.
I recognize the bic is a polarizing blade , but these work for me.
On the WTG pass I could not feel the blade at all.The other passes were smooooth and close.
For the record this was the 6c on base plate 2.

I'd not had great shaves with my 6c until I popped in a nacet blade and wow! I had a week of truly incredible shaves.
Bic Chromes and Nacets are two blades I like very much.
It seems that the Rockwell pretty much guarantees a good shave so it’s fun to play around with that.

Top Bottom