What's new

Rockwell 6s tip?

Hello, all.

I started with and have been using a Merkur 34c. Love it!

I just ordered a Rockwell 6s. I was wondering what plate setting I should start with that would be similar to the Merkur 34c.

Thanks!

Stephen

I tried all of the settings on the Rockwell except 1. 2 and 3 are very mild. 4 got me a closer shave than those two, but after some use I stopped using anything under 5. It's been a long time since I used a Merkur. I remember it being very mild, like the Rockwell on 2 or 3. Even on 6 I have found that the Rockwell doesn't feel that aggressive, but it definitely gets more efficient as you work up. You need more strokes and/or passes to get a close shave with the 3 or 4 than you do with 5 or 6. I love the Rockwell with the six plate. The biggest adjustment will probably be the weight of the razor, and the size of the head. Because the plates are double sided the head is thick and bulky top to bottom. Once you get used to it, though, you will find it is always smooth no matter the setting.

I mostly use the 4/2 plate. I start with #4 for the first two passes (WTG/XTG), then swap to #2 for ATG and cleanup. I feel this works the best for me. In fact, I like this a lot better than using the #3 all around for some reason.

I also started out with the 34c before getting the rockwell, and I like the rockwell on #4 for the most part, but if i go any more then three days without shaving, then I'll use #5 for the first WTG pass before going back to the 4/2 plate.

I've been using my rockwell for a while, and only recently found out that the blade gap is quite narrow on this razor. I had been holding off using the higher numbers because I am not a fan of very aggressive razors, but having read some posts saying that the 5/6 is really not very harsh, I gave it a try and found that to be true for me, too. It felt pretty efficient, but it was quite smooth. I have only used #5 max yet, tho. I'll try #6 the next time I grow more than a 3 day stubble.

I mostly use the 4/2 plate. I start with #4 for the first two passes (WTG/XTG), then swap to #2 for ATG and cleanup. I feel this works the best for me. In fact, I like this a lot better than using the #3 all around for some reason.

I also started out with the 34c before getting the rockwell, and I like the rockwell on #4 for the most part, but if i go any more then three days without shaving, then I'll use #5 for the first WTG pass before going back to the 4/2 plate.

I've been using my rockwell for a while, and only recently found out that the blade gap is quite narrow on this razor. I had been holding off using the higher numbers because I am not a fan of very aggressive razors, but having read some posts saying that the 5/6 is really not very harsh, I gave it a try and found that to be true for me, too. It felt pretty efficient, but it was quite smooth. I have only used #5 max yet, tho. I'll try #6 the next time I grow more than a 3 day stubble.
Which blade you use on the Rockwell?

Which blade you use on the Rockwell?

I'm still trying many different ones, and have found that I like quite a few more in the Rockwell than I did in the 34c, but my favorite so far is the Gillette Silver Blue, in the Rockwell.

Some others I've tried that have worked well for me in the Rockwell are Nacet, Polsiver SI, Lord Platinum, Treet Platinum, etc. I even liked the Merkur bade in the Rockwell, even though I didn't like it very much in the 34c.

Not that I have anything against the 34c. I like that razor very much with the right blades. I just found more blades that work for me in the Rockwell.

I use plate 4 the most - I think it's very similar to the 34C. It's also the most blade friendly razor that I own - I've yet to use a blade that doesn't work in it.

Fantastic bit of kit.

I've yet to use a blade that doesn't work in it.
I agree. While there are a few blades that I've used over the years that I won't use again, have several that I like. One of my razors only likes a couple of those, but the Rockwell works great with all of them and none really feel noticeably better or worse than others.

I use #3 and it seems to work well for me. I am a newbie and don't want to risk slicing up my face until I feel more comfortable. Just using the Rockwell blades that came with it so far

I use #3 and it seems to work well for me. I am a newbie and don't want to risk slicing up my face until I feel more comfortable. Just using the Rockwell blades that came with it so far
I'd worry more about irritation from those blades than hurting yourself by moving on to a higher setting.

Not well received by our fellow B&B friends. My tuck of Rockwell’s are still in the box and I haven’t used them.

Top Bottom