What's new

Rockwell 6C-Just the smoothest

Don't usually start threads here, but I recently received and started using the Rockwell 6C. Started with the #2 plate and just had the smoothest yet efficient shave ever. Switched to the #3 plate and the same with a bit more efficiency. This may cure my RAD. Have used a Polsilver blade and a Gillette 7O'Clock Yellow - both with the same great results.

I love the 6S, but the only downside for me is that it is so effortless and forgiving that it can encourage bad technique and excessive pressure. You just can’t cut yourself with plates R1-R3 if you tried.

The shave is smooth, but it also occasionally leads to the same ingrown hairs that I used to get with cartridge razors... probably because I’m lulled into jamming the razor into my face around the trouble spots.

So when I use it, it’s mostly at R4 and above, where you need to let up on the pressure and use proper technique. However, it’s sometimes a bit heavy at those higher plates, especially when coming from a comparatively lightweight razor (e.g. a vintage Gillette).

I owned the 6S for a short time. Definitely found it to be a smooth shaver, though not particularly efficient (using 3 and 4 plates). Once I got the Game Changer .84 and the Karve, I found the Rockwell to be superfluous and sold it on. The GC84, in particular, was just as smooth if not smoother than the 6S, and far more efficient, in my experience. I also found the head to be a bit bulky compared to the other two mentioned.

Sorry, been thinking about getting one, and had a question about the difference between the 6S and the 6C.. could someone explain?

The 6c is a chrome coated zamak razor (unlike others, I believe the whole thing is zamak, down to the handle).

The 6s is stainless steel (injection molded), bead blasted and unpolished.

The 6s is heavier, and for me, I get the same shave one step lower (6s plate 2 = 6c plate 3 IMO).

There have been extensive discussions on whether the 6c shaves better because it's polished. I think when you toss in water and slick soap, there isn't any real noticible drag from the 6s.

I have both, and they're both awesome shavers. The 6c is my backup, and the 6s is currently my favorite razor.

Sorry, been thinking about getting one, and had a question about the difference between the 6S and the 6C.. could someone explain?

Shiny chrome over zamak vs bead-blasted stainless steel.

That’s it. They’re the same design.

But there are obvious weight, drag and durability differences as a result.

The 6C is, of course, equal to the Rockwell 6S on plate #3 - a great combo of comfort and smoothness. What you might not know is that it's also equal to the Rockwell Model T dialed in to about 3.5. Recently, I've begun using the Model T exclusively, and shaving is a breeze.

I am a two weeks in with 6s and i find the plates harder to pick than a broken nose. I have used plates 1 to six.

They feel like i am dragging sand against face. End up with smooth face but not enjoying the ride...

The 6c is a chrome coated zamak razor (unlike others, I believe the whole thing is zamak, down to the handle).
:a14:
The 6s is stainless steel (injection molded), bead blasted and unpolished.

The 6s is heavier, and for me, I get the same shave one step lower (6s plate 2 = 6c plate 3 IMO).

There have been extensive discussions on whether the 6c shaves better because it's polished. I think when you toss in water and slick soap, there isn't any real noticible drag from the 6s.

I have both, and they're both awesome shavers. The 6c is my backup, and the 6s is currently my favorite razor.

Great explanation! :a14::a14:

I love the 6S, but the only downside for me is that it is so effortless and forgiving that it can encourage bad technique and excessive pressure. You just can’t cut yourself with plates R1-R3 if you tried.

The shave is smooth, but it also occasionally leads to the same ingrown hairs that I used to get with cartridge razors... probably because I’m lulled into jamming the razor into my face around the trouble spots.

So when I use it, it’s mostly at R4 and above, where you need to let up on the pressure and use proper technique. However, it’s sometimes a bit heavy at those higher plates, especially when coming from a comparatively lightweight razor (e.g. a vintage Gillette).
Yes, I too now use R4 most of the time, even though the chance of drawing blood rises from about zero to about 1 percent when moving up from R3, and a slightly better technique is required, at least for me. Still, R4 is not the world's toughest test of technique. Thank goodness, as first thing in the morning is no time for stringent tests of one's fine motor skills with sharp instruments, in my humble opinion.

Yes, I too now use R4 most of the time, even though the chance of drawing blood rises from about zero to about 1 percent when moving up from R3, and a slightly better technique is required, at least for me. Still, R4 is not the world's toughest test of technique. Thank goodness, as first thing in the morning is no time for stringent tests of one's fine motor skills with sharp instruments, in my humble opinion.
Might wait till next weekend to try the #4 plate then.

The 6C is my main razor & since I like to shave every day R3 is my preferred plate. Have used R4 & R2 in the past with success but I prefer R3. R1 doesn't really shave too much & I find R5 & R6 a bit too agresive for every day use. For my face/skin R2 with a feather blade works better than R3. But with most other blades R3 is perfect for every day use.

I keep reading plate 2 with feather shaves like asd2 with a feather
Plate 3 with a feather blade gave me a great but somewhat uncomfortable shave. Plate 2 gave a great, close, comfortable shave. Having said that I've also read on this forum that plate 2 compares to an ASD2. However I've never used one.

M

Member 113878

I have a 6C, but don’t like the weight of the head.
Otherwise great shaver.

I really like my 6c and get great shaves (for the two weeks I've owned it). My problem is that the plating on the bottom of the cap looks like it's bubbled already, and that really isn't great with a zamak razor. I've emailed them with no response in over 48 hours.

I really like my 6c and get great shaves (for the two weeks I've owned it). My problem is that the plating on the bottom of the cap looks like it's bubbled already, and that really isn't great with a zamak razor. I've emailed them with no response in over 48 hours.

If the razor is that new it's clearly a defect. Emailed them again. I'm sure they will take care of the issue.

Top Bottom