What's new

Roasting in cast iron

I recently ran into a small source of green beans (from Panama ) from a co-worker. I've been roasting it in a high sided cast iron pan like a chicken fry pan. The cast iron holds the temp great and I do it on the charcoal weber. So far some great results .

Anyone else use this method ?

Did a search but not much came up.

Last edited:
That's great! I'm pretty sure that is the original way that coffee was roasted at home for most folks way back when.

I use a sauce pan over an open flame:

$20140622_174742.jpg

No stirring, but a lot of shaking.

-jim

Figured there had to be other's. I just try and keep it moving with a long wooden spoon.

Now makes me want to try different beans .

Great link , bought the same way I do it .

Except I learned the first time not to do it in the house ....good thing I was the only one home that week ...

I have never roasted that way but it looks fun.

An article that you may have already seen which describes one person's method:
Recipe- How to Roast Coffee Like a Cowboy
proxy.php

It's not the best way as beans can have some charring. Really depends on how fast you keep things moving, but I've been roasting this way for over a decade now and you can really produce some good coffee with this method.

Great link , bought the same way I do it .

Except I learned the first time not to do it in the house ....good thing I was the only one home that week ...

:lol:

I remember the first time I did this and the weak stove exhaust fan was not up to the task! Roasting beans is a smoke generator.

-jim

" Back in the day" ( I mean the early/mid 60's) a broke pallet on the docks was free game. When a ship came in carrying coffee a pallet always got accidentally ??? broke. The whole neighborhood smelled like roasting coffee. Mom roasted it in a cast iron skillet, small
layer ( not heaped up), stirred often. But she did this in the oven, not on the stove top. Thanks for awaking long forgot memories.

I can just imagine the whole neighborhood smelling great.

Once in awhile when the wind blows right , I can smell a local roaster . Smells great .

Next time I roast I will try a smaller batch , think I tried to do too much at once and it took a long time

Top Bottom