What's new

Rive Gauche discussion thread for review.

I was ready to give up on YSL. I love M7 but tried Opium, Body Kouros, and Jazz and none of them did anything for me. I probably would have never tried Rive Gauche if it weren't for the two glowing reviews here. I had heard it described as bitter, an old man scent and similar to Antaeus which all scared me but I find I enjoy this very much.

It is reminiscent of Barbasol but there is much more to it as Isaias said. Very fresh smelling and complex to my untrained nose. There's something that reminds me of incense in the drydown that I can't quite put my finger on.

It's subtle but has great lasting power. I like that. I keep thinking it's gone and then it makes its presence known again and again.

Thanks Isaias for recommending this one!

I really like Rive Gauche, and think its a modern classic. It also made me realize that I'm an elitist snob. I won't wear it because too many other people wear it.

You are welcome monkeyboy :redface: I am just trying to spread the knowledge.

Studdg, too many other people wear it? where do you live?:confused1

Gents,

I too, bought RG based on the recommendation of this review. I really like it. However, if you really, REALLY like it, you have to try the EDT 'Intense' version. Only comes in a 60 ml bottle and can be hard to find. I have a very untrained nose, but somehow it manages to bring out the best parts of RG, and enhance them (to me, anyway)

nice isaias!-

this is a house that i am really wanting to explore. i am wearing my first venture in ysl land today, kouros. rg and m7 are on my short list right now.

kouros... almonds and honey dry down. i like it! very different from my other scents.

more reviews please isaias!

cheers,
ryan

Anyone know where I can get this in the UK or other part of europe for a decent price? In Sweden it's very rare and sells for ~£40 or more.

But hey, maybe it's worth it.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can get this in the UK or other part of europe for a decent price? In Sweden it's very rare and sells for ~£40 or more.

But hey, maybe it's worth it.

It probably is worth it Stinkis, but be patient. I'm not a penny pincher, but huge part of the charm of this stuff to me is that it's not super pricey. There must be somewhere you can pick up much more reasonably priced. £40 sounds very high. I bought 75ml in the YSL store at full retail for $39 US.

I don't know which scent websites ship to Sweden. In addition, YSL has the oddest distribution network...they're very inconsistently represented in all the big name department stores here in US. Plus, over at Basenotes, it seems every other fragrance they make seems to be discussed as "discontinued." But they're all available all over the place online. Odd.

Last edited:
I think I already explained my opinion in another thread pretty good, but just to keep this one going........
Rive Gauche is the modern essence of the barber shop. I think the barbasol and old spice comments some people get are just because the person who is smelling doesn't necessarily know how to better describe the scent. To some people's noses, any barber shop type scent is like old spice, or barbasol, because they just don't know to say barpershop scent.....so old spice or barbasol comes to mind.
For example, I know flowers smell good and they probably all smell different. But, I really could only really say I know what a rose smells like. My gf hands me some flower I've never seen and I say, "smells rosey". If you want a modern high end take on the barbershop scent with an up-sell of class and saavy, get the Rive Gauche.....for a pretty good bargain I might add.

Last edited:
I just received this. Sprayed on four+ hours ago.

I don't think it smells a lot like Barbasol, but it has been a while since I've smelled it. Someone else said it reminded them of Musgo Real ASL, which I do think it smells like - and of which I approve!

This is a great scent. :thumbup1:

RG is good for 10 minutes. Then the linearity bores me to tears so much so I want to wash it off. No, make that scrub it off.

I bought sixteen samplers from The Perfumed Court including the ten finalists for the 2008 Mens Best Fragrance award: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...ces-Sampler---10-samples__BNMENSBEST2008.aspx

Of the sixteen samplers, TWBGF and I agreed that only two were spectacular: YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, and YSL M7. I bought each of them (thru Amazon) and am delighted. Well pleased. Thrilled. Overjoyed, in fact. My only disappointment is that YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme is often categorized as a "barbershop" scent. I found it more sophisticated than that :mad3:

I bought sixteen samplers from The Perfumed Court including the ten finalists for the 2008 Mens Best Fragrance award: http://theperfumedcourt.com/Product...ces-Sampler---10-samples__BNMENSBEST2008.aspx

Of the sixteen samplers, TWBGF and I agreed that only two were spectacular: YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme, and YSL M7. I bought each of them (thru Amazon) and am delighted. Well pleased. Thrilled. Overjoyed, in fact. My only disappointment is that YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme is often categorized as a "barbershop" scent. I found it more sophisticated than that :mad3:

I agree, it's much more than straight barbershop.

Excellent longevity - many hours later I was still catching a whiff, and ten hours later I could still clearly smell it on my wrist. So could the SO, who gave it her seal of approval.

Top Bottom