What's new

ristretto shot?

I read somewhere that a ristretto shot is 3/4oz. pulled in 25 seconds. Some times, like this morning I pull a shot thats ground too fine/ tamped too tight. The resulting shot is shy to appearer. Some times I think I've stalled the pump. After about eight seconds the first drops start to come. The whole shot might take upward of forty seconds! But the small (less than 3/4oz.) shot of nectar is very delicious, rich, Chocolate, berries, citrus. What do the coffee geeks call this kind of shot? Am I the only one who enjoys it? Try it Mikey, you might like it.

I read somewhere that a ristretto shot is 3/4oz. pulled in 25 seconds. Some times, like this morning I pull a shot thats ground too fine/ tamped too tight. The resulting shot is shy to appearer. Some times I think I've stalled the pump. After about eight seconds the first drops start to come. The whole shot might take upward of forty seconds! But the small (less than 3/4oz.) shot of nectar is very delicious, rich, Chocolate, berries, citrus. What do the coffee geeks call this kind of shot? Am I the only one who enjoys it? Try it Mikey, you might like it.

I'm no expert on the subject, but if you're not also increasing the amount of coffee used, you may just be choking the machine and not pulling a true ristretto.

A ristretto it is. Some coffees do very well with this type of shot, others do not. Depending on the coffee amount in the basket, one might pull a single or double ristretto, but who cares - they are delicious.

If my ten years of employment at Starbucks counts for anything a ristretto shot is a shot pulled using the normal amount of coffee but allowing only half the amount of water to flow through the grounds and the shot should be pulled in half the normal time. A normal 20 second - 2 oz shot should be a 10 second 1 oz shot.

I stand corrected on the "needs more coffee" requirement, which was a misconception I had. I'm left wondering, though...how are the shots not under extracted? Is brew temp the controlling factor there?

If my ten years of employment at Starbucks counts for anything a ristretto shot is a shot pulled using the normal amount of coffee but allowing only half the amount of water to flow through the grounds and the shot should be pulled in half the normal time. A normal 20 second - 2 oz shot should be a 10 second 1 oz shot.

I mean no disrespect...

I got into my coffee journey when I was at Starbucks. I had questions, and they had made-up answers. "common sense" logic doesn't work unless quite a lot more variables are taken into consideration.

I had learned that the Starbucks answer is the "disguise" answer.

Q: Why do they roast so dark?
DA: To get a full flavor.
A: So it doesn't taste as stale in a month or two, and to maintain consistency.. even if said consistency reduces the maximum attainable quality.

The folks who were giving me the DA didn't know themselves. They were just repeating what they had been told.

Anyway, unless the grind size was cut in half, cutting the time in half will surely result in under-extracted coffee. (grind size can only compensate for so much anyway)

__

So.. I call those uber-ristretti. (sort of)

I'll sometimes resist the admission that a shot was choked, and let it drop anyway up to 1min. to get a few drops in the demitasse. It's mostly coffee oil most of the time. Interesting, for sure. Doesn't taste too bad. But it's not the complete package.

Just my $.02.

Actually - Tea Goober is correct.

If the grind is not adjusted to slow the flow rate - or the qty of coffee in the basket increased or compressed tighter to get same effect. Then cutting the flow "half way" through the normal shot is correct.

Strictly speaking yes it could be considered under extracted - some coffee's dont really work this way - others are heaven.

Personally I prefer the finergrind - or overdose method - compared to cutting the shot short - why shortchange yourself on the pour :)

Every shot I make is a ristretto. I simply adjust my tamp and grind (mainly grind) to pull the smaller volume in 25sec.

My observation has been that almost no coffee bars use proper technique. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in these places tamp properly, they use the overhanging gizmo on their grinders. Most use old, over-roasted beans, improperly-made in their expensive machines. No one ever orders straight espresso because it would be awful.

I never tasted a proper espresso drink until I bought my own machine and had decent beans shipped....fast. I'm sure there are coffee bars that take the time and effort to do things correctly, but I have never visited one.

Every shot I make is a ristretto. I simply adjust my tamp and grind (mainly grind) to pull the smaller volume in 25sec.

My observation has been that almost no coffee bars use proper technique. I don't think I have ever seen anyone in these places tamp properly, they use the overhanging gizmo on their grinders. Most use old, over-roasted beans, improperly-made in their expensive machines. No one ever orders straight espresso because it would be awful.

I never tasted a proper espresso drink until I bought my own machine and had decent beans shipped....fast. I'm sure there are coffee bars that take the time and effort to do things correctly, but I have never visited one.

God bless your honesty.

Please.. before declaring something to be "correct", taste it. I can promise that cutting a shot half-way will taste horribly sour. (not acidic.. sour)

Top Bottom