What's new

RIP Shane MacGowan

Too bad. He seemed to finally be pulling his life back together. RIP.

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

Wow, I had not heard. Thanks for posting, Rudy. I wish I had seen the Pogues live. A miracle that he made it that far. His life style for a very long time made Keith Richard seem like the president of the temperance league.

But I agree, a true treasure. A true artist and an orignal. May you rest in peace, Shane.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Life is a bottle of smoke.
1701369375630.png

Well this sucks!
65 is still pretty young though. Even though these guys live a reckless life you still don't expect it. I felt stunned when I heard Steve Riley from LA Guns died late Oct of this year around a similar age (67).

It's kinda sad because I feel as though a lot of older bands a magic that few if any newer bands have been able to recapture.

And Keef will live to 110!
Well this sucks!
65 is still pretty young though. Even though these guys live a reckless life you still don't expect it. I felt stunned when I heard Steve Riley from LA Guns died late Oct of this year around a similar age (67).

It's kinda sad because I feel as though a lot of older bands a magic that few if any newer bands have been able to recapture.

I have been following the news coverage of MacGowan's death, and I am disliking the emphasis on Fairytale of New York. As great a song as that is, I personally have heard it too often. My fault not Shane's! And Shane was about so much more than that one song.

I am sure others on B&B more familiar with Irish punk than I am can correct me, but to me part of the greatness of Shane and the Pogues was that they seemed to create a niche and then fill it.

Top Bottom