What's new

RIP Ross Perot

Well. The very first thing that came to mind is a joke Perot told on himself, and which probably wouldn't be appropriate for the RIP thread.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Man Who could have been President. Not today tho. Too many folks would get lost with pie charts.

The Man Who could have been President. Not today tho. Too many folks would get lost with pie charts.

Rest easy, Mr. Perot. I still wonder what the GOP would have become, had he won the Presidency? I think America would be a much different and better place (politically) had he been successful in gaining the White House.

He got my vote...All the charts he drew and his predictions of where America was headed have proven to be correct.... I liked the guy.

Pulled nearly 19% of the popular vote in '92 -- best showing by a third-party candidate since Teddy Roosevelt in 1912.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My condolences to all you cared about him and were inspired by him.

To find out about this man, read Ken Follett's book on him.

proxy.php

Great story. His character is the main character in many ways.

RIP, Ross.

I actually worked for EDS for six years out of school. Met Ross twice briefly. Very genuinely interested in what division I worked in, what I was working on, etc. Top rate fellow in my book. Rags to riches too.

It was well known in the company that his first job was his paper route but few know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. He was a young kid wanting to deliver newspapers in Texarkana, Texas. The newspaper people kept shooing him away but he kept stopping in. Finally the newspaper fellow told him he could sell newspaper subscriptions in an area of town that was very poor. Ross took it but the people in that neighborhood could not read. No problem for Ross. He sold them the newspapers as insulation to crumple up and put into the walls of their homes. So Ross did just fine selling newspapers in the area of town that everyone else had failed in. The clincher is that he sold them the newspapers going door to door while riding his pony. Seriously.

This was better known but after serving our nation in the navy, graduating from the Naval Academy he went into sales with IBM in the early 1950's. He filled his annual quota in January, he was that good. He took the idea of EDS (running data centers) to IBM and they turned him down since they were selling so much hardware at the time. So he left and started EDS on his own.

An American success story if there ever was one.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I actually worked for EDS for six years out of school. Met Ross twice briefly. Very genuinely interested in what division I worked in, what I was working on, etc. Top rate fellow in my book. Rags to riches too.

It was well known in the company that his first job was his paper route but few know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. He was a young kid wanting to deliver newspapers in Texarkana, Texas. The newspaper people kept shooing him away but he kept stopping in. Finally the newspaper fellow told him he could sell newspaper subscriptions in an area of town that was very poor. Ross took it. The people could not read was the problem. No problem for Ross. He sold them the newspapers as insulation to crumple up and put into the walls of their homes. So Ross did just fine selling newspapers in the area of town that everyone else had failed in. The clincher is that he sold them the newspapers going door to door while riding his pony. Seriously.

This was better known but after serving our nation in the navy, graduating from the Naval Academy he went into sales with IBM in the early 1950's. He filled his annual quota in January, he was that good. He took the idea of EDS (running data centers) to IBM and they turned him down since they were selling so much hardware at the time. So he left and started EDS on his own.

Thanks so much for that added information!

It was well known in the company that his first job was his paper route but few know "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say. He was a young kid wanting to deliver newspapers in Texarkana, Texas. The newspaper people kept shooing him away but he kept stopping in. Finally the newspaper fellow told him he could sell newspaper subscriptions in an area of town that was very poor. Ross took it. The people could not read was the problem. No problem for Ross. He sold them the newspapers as insulation to crumple up and put into the walls of their homes. So Ross did just fine selling newspapers in the area of town that everyone else had failed in. The clincher is that he sold them the newspapers going door to door while riding his pony. Seriously.

Awesome account of your time with Perot. While I didn't vote for him, it was a close call.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If he were taller and from Maine he would have been president. He turned out to be correct on several economic issues.

Rest In Peace Ross Perot.

Top Bottom