What's new

RIP Norman Lear

101 yo. Important figure in commercial television. Many seen as cutting edge in his day. Produced, wrote for, and/or helped develop more than 100 shows the web tells me. Very prolific. All in the Family may be the show that comes immediately to mind. Personally, I thought Sanford and Son was more groundbreaking and funnier. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman, too. Anyway, an important cultural figure.

All in the Family and Sanford and Son bring back memories of laughter and also of a time when most families had (at most) one TV and watched it together.

RIP to the creator of “It’s the big one”, and heartfelt thanks.

Lear had some great shows. All in the Family was a shocker at first. After several seasons the characters became annoying and my wife didn't want to watch. Sanford & Son was great. Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman was an every night watch for my wife and I, but Lear's FERNWOOD 2 NIGHT, which became America 2 Night might be my favorite. We had some Tom Waits LPs at the time, so it was fun to see him goofing on Fernwood.

Poor taste below? No. Lear was 101. And a master at his craft. RIP.

My wife’s grandmother died at 100 and a few people at the funeral asked me how she died. I went with “drove her Harley into a guardrail” and “heroin overdose” a few times. She was 100 for god’s sake.

P.S. Norman would have laughed at my story for sure. 👍

1701922709283.jpeg

The man produced some cutting edge humor, that often delt with aspects of our society that needed to be faced.
And funny? I still laugh when I think of Maud's answer when asked how she got her black eye. She replied; "from jogging braless!" RIP

The man produced some cutting edge humor, that often delt with aspects of our society that needed to be faced.
And funny? I still laugh when I think of Maud's answer when asked how she got her black eye. She replied; "from jogging braless!" RIP
I thought it was " I was jumping rope without a bra..." Then again, that may have been just one of her answers during that episode.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
R.I.P Norman Lear, You but many a smile on my face and so many others with the # of TV shows you help create. You knew what folks needed to have a laugh or two and we are in present times a little short of humor lately for some decent laughable distractions!

Top Bottom