What's new

Rinse off alum?

Alum is one of these traditional shaving products that basically has no modern application. Historically it was used as an antiseptic but those were times when hygiene was poor. It is very hard on your skin and shouldn’t be used at all.
Interesting. I haven't heard that before. Not that I don't believe you, but can you give me a source and walk me through your reason?

Interesting. I haven't heard that before. Not that I don't believe you, but can you give me a source and walk me through your reason?
Yes I'd be interested as well to hear exactly how it is hard on the skin and why it shouldn't be used at all.

For what it's worth, here's my experience of using an alum block over the last 7 months of use (never used before that - been DE shaving for the same time).

I had read that using alum after shaving was simply part of the accepted process for many and was just what one did - so I procured an alum block as I started DE shaving and used it as advertised.

Post-shave, it's great to tell you where you've gone a bit too heavy: sting = could have done better; no sting = boy done well!

Usually, unless I was a biff and had a rubbish shave, the resulting sting (mostly on my lower neck) would dissipate within 30 to 60 secs or so. Nevertheless, I always left it on for about 5 - 10 mins to dry while I was cleaning and storing my kit. It left a faint white chalky deposit on my face when dry. Then fully rinsed off with cold water. No AS or balm etc - don't want or need it. Nice tight skin afterwards.

After every shave, I had a blotchiness to my skin around the sensitive parts of my lower neck and more often than not, I felt a low-level discomfort as if my skin had been 'scraped' and sore - for about 30 - 60 mins or so. I thought my technique was in need of refinement.

I tried an experiment over recent days - no alum post-shave. Blotchiness has reduced and post-shave irritation and/or the feeling of my skin being scraped has stopped. Post-shave is very comfortable without alum. Today, for I think the first time, I had absolutely no discomfort, irritation or blotchiness to my lower neck whilst achieving a BBS result - and no alum. Awesome, perfect shave. Coincidence? Maybe I'm just getting better at this.

I'm going to lay off the alum for a while now and see what happens. So far, I can't see any disadvantage to not using it - very comfortable shaves without it. Now questioning what alum brings to the party except for closing minor weepers..... which I can do locally with a corner of the alum block without irritating the rest of my neck. Or styptic if I'v really screwed up which has only happened a couple of times on this journey so far.

Interested in others' views, for or against.

I always rinse off with cold water after about 40 secs to 1 min.
I tried leaving on once and found I got a bit blotchy later in the day so have always rinsed since then.

I've never used an alum block, and have styptic "matches" to stop the extremely rare nick that wants to keep bleeding.

I know guys commonly use alum to get a better grip on a razor, or even for gripping/stretching their skin with wet fingers while shaving, but I'm not comfortable contaminating my precious, metal razors with a potentially corrosive substance (my styptic sure tastes like salt).

Probably a non-issue, and likely exposing an OCD tendency of mine.

I always rinse off with cold water, But I have forgot ones or twice and I get a bit red on my neck. No biggie just not super comfi. I dont use alum every time only when I have small nicks or cuts 😉

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Mostly I don't use alum after my shaves.

Mostly when I've made an exception and used alum I rinse it off.

However, I read this here (and they're selling alum).

Alum as aftershave.png

After that, I began leaving the alum on rather than rinsing it off.

Either way works fine in my experience. (Not that I claim any sort of expertise.)

The alum stick I use was much less expensive than the one linked thanks to Cal @Cal and a little shopping around.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I don't rinse it off since that defeats the purpose of something antiseptic on your face in the first place.

However I stopped using alum a long time ago.

I apply alum, leave it on for a couple minutes, rinse with cold water, dry,, then apply a heavy dose of witch hazel, let dry, done.

I no longer use alum, a high-quality aftershave, splash or balm, works just fine. I never saw the purpose of using both. A styptic pencil is handy for the rare case of a nick or weeper.

What a great place! A question is asked in one corner of the world & discussed civilly globally over several days. Well done!!!!!
thats what I really like about B&B. A great worldwide group of gentleman.

Alum - I used to use it solely to be my frame of reference for a good shave when i first started out with my DE. I remember liking the tight skin feel after. I too would rinse off after cleaning and putting away all my kit. Then used to apply a skin tonic too. I dont use alum any more but am tempted to try again, just for fun you understand😉

I cold water shave, and apply an alum block after the final rinse. Clean up the kit - about 1-2 minutes - then rinse off and apply a moisturising balm.

As well as treating any cuts, nicks or weepers, it helps close the pores and soothe the skin, which despite the sting, is a Good Thing. My skin feels much better after using and rinsing the alum away, and I think it helps prepare it the balm that I apply after.

The alum does rinse off (or its concentration is diluted). You created an alum+water solution when you first applied the alum, so it will feel smooth and "squeaky clean". It's better for the skin to rinse, though, after the alum has done its job.
Why is it better to rinse off the alum?

Why is it better to rinse off the alum?

Alum as an aftershave is an astringent. It tightens the skin, closes up any little cuts or weepers, disinfects, etc. A few seconds after you apply it, the alum has already done its job. After rinsing, you can then apply witch hazel, aftershave, moisturizer, etc. I find leaving alum on my skin dries out the skin too much.

Some people use alum as a deodorant. In that case, you just leave it on the skin and it lasts for a few hours or so.

Last edited:
Thank you! It sounds stanard to rinse off. I suppose my skin starts feeling dry, as well. Though, most soaps leave me feeling fairly dry, too. Grooming Cult Hesperus being a recently discovered exception.

Top Bottom