What's new

Rinse off alum?

I've noticed people say to apply alum after a shave, let it set for a bit (30 seconds?) and rinse it off.
It's hard to explain, but when I go to rinse it off, it doesn't feel like there is anything there to rinse off. My skin feels "non-slick" almost like it's been washed with one of those old soap bars that would dry out your skin and make it feel almost "tacky" with zero slickness.
I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but regardless, does the alum actually rinse off?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've been using alum for a dozen years or so - I've always let it sit longer than 30 seconds, usually rinse it after cleaning /rinsing my brush & razor, or if showering after it gets rinsed then. Sometimes I have forgotten to rinse, can't say I've noticed any problem when I have. But logically I want it rinsed before using aftershave - maybe there's a scientific reason to rinse, I just don't know it ..

I've noticed people say to apply alum after a shave, let it set for a bit (30 seconds?) and rinse it off.
It's hard to explain, but when I go to rinse it off, it doesn't feel like there is anything there to rinse off. My skin feels "non-slick" almost like it's been washed with one of those old soap bars that would dry out your skin and make it feel almost "tacky" with zero slickness.
I'm sure that doesn't make sense, but regardless, does the alum actually rinse off?
The alum does rinse off (or its concentration is diluted). You created an alum+water solution when you first applied the alum, so it will feel smooth and "squeaky clean". It's better for the skin to rinse, though, after the alum has done its job.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
I've take to cold water shaving and I'll rinse the alum with the same, unless warm does something better.

Thanks for all the quick replies.
I've take to cold water shaving and I'll rinse the alum with the same, unless warm does something better.
Before shaving, warm water is better at dissolving skin oil and will saturate the whiskers faster than cold. For rinsing, I don't think cold/warm really makes much difference.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I rinse my Alum off after every shave. I shave before I shower so off it goes. I apply the Alum after my shave and leave it on while I rinse everything off. Then when I step in the shower off it goes.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I always rinse with cold water after applying alum. Now that you ask, I’m not sure if it rinses off.
I rinse it off too with cold water.
I modified my routine and do not wet the alum block before I apply it. This I feel reduces the chances of that sucker going flying down to the floor. I do rinse the block after use and dry it with a towel as carefully as I possibly can.

I apply dry alum to wet face after a good rinse, then leave it on whilst I rinse and clean my gear. I then rinse my face thoroughly with cold clean water( I enjoy the 'squeaky clean' sensation), dry and store the Alum block (I find it continues to dissolve if left wet). Dry my face, apply the various other post shave products and I'm done.

I always dry my alum and clean the tray, but for pourpose of this post, I left it wet for a few days. Alum is salt, it will leave residue, even if you don't see it.
IMG_20230506_075101.jpg

IMG_20230506_075107.jpg

Acumulated residue from wet alum.

Back in the stone age (early 1960s), drug stores carried powered shaving alum for weepers and cuts. Dip a wet finger in the alum, apply to weeper or cut, and brush it off when dry. Much better than styptic pencils, which don't work as well but mean bigger profits for the companies. I still have some leftover alum from back then. Can't remember the last time I used it. I just keep it around to annoy my wife, who can't stand I kept it and has threatened for over 50 years to throw it out if she ever finds it. She won't.

Most powered/crystal alum (McCormicks or generic) sold in some grocery spice aisles works much the same way. I tried an alum block. Hated the block on my face, so I pulverized some to use for weepers and use the remaining block for deodorant.

Top Bottom