What's new

Rigidity in DE Safety Razors

This is something that I'm just learning so, I apologize if it's been asked 500k times.

I've recently learned that some razors hold blades tighter or closer to the cutting edge that might make the blade itself a bit more rigid.

I've experienced this first hand with a Karve razor (D plate) and a Voskhod blade. I typically only get a few 2-3 good shaves out of a Voskhod with a Gillette TTO type razor, but the Karve allowed me to go almost double that (5) before I felt that it was getting a bit too tuggy.

I was also told that my poor experience with a Derby Extra was most likely due to using it with a Merkur 23c and that if I had something made the blade more rigid, that I would get a better shave with it.

So I guess my question is, does the rigidity of a razor really affect its performance or is it a "you just need better technique" sort of thing?

This is something that I'm just learning so, I apologize if it's been asked 500k times.

I've recently learned that some razors hold blades tighter or closer to the cutting edge that might make the blade itself a bit more rigid.

I've experienced this first hand with a Karve razor (D plate) and a Voskhod blade. I typically only get a few 2-3 good shaves out of a Voskhod with a Gillette TTO type razor, but the Karve allowed me to go almost double that (5) before I felt that it was getting a bit too tuggy.

I was also told that my poor experience with a Derby Extra was most likely due to using it with a Merkur 23c and that if I had something made the blade more rigid, that I would get a better shave with it.

So I guess my question is, does the rigidity of a razor really affect its performance or is it a "you just need better technique" sort of thing?

The rigidity keeps the blade from flexing, and then snapping back to shape, which causes a nick. A higher degree of technique can reduce the chances of that happening, but I would not say "you just need better technique" because you get cut from a non-ridged razor. You can take that to extremes and say "why do you need a razor, blade will cut the hair without it. Its just not as rigid. :)"

You can take that to extremes and say "why do you need a razor, blade will cut the hair without it. Its just not as rigid. :)"

My razor is a nut and bolt from the hardware store; it holds the blades just fine. ;)

Joking aside, I didn't pay any attention to blade rigidity until a member here posted about it. Now, it is something I notice when I switch between razors. It turns out, I do prefer a more rigid blade, but it's not a deal breaker for me, and have some "non-rigid" razors that shave great.

As I dabble with SE razors, I really appreciate how rigid the blades can be.

My razor is a nut and bolt from the hardware store; it holds the blades just fine. ;)

Joking aside, I didn't pay any attention to blade rigidity until a member here posted about it. Now, it is something I notice when I switch between razors. It turns out, I do prefer a more rigid blade, but it's not a deal breaker for me, and have some "non-rigid" razors that shave great.

As I dabble with SE razors, I really appreciate how rigid the blades can be.

I think rigidity becomes more important the steeper you shave. I have had good luck with the different DEs and the GEM1912 I have tried. I shave fairly shallow though.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Different razors benefit from different technique. Some people try to adjust technique to suit their razors, and others try to find razors to suit their technique. I'm in the modify your technique camp. Would this be applicable to every face on the planet? I don't know, I've only shaved one :D

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I didn't drink the Kool-aid from the rigidity camp and get along just fine. I say it isn't a big deal for me but if you really need to get serious about it there are some special razors out there waiting for you. Meanwhile, I don't worry about it and my shaves are superb.

I think the claims for the importance of rigidity probably are in theory correct, but I have not personally had any bad experiences with a "non-rigid" blade.

Therefore my jury is still out.

Rigidty is a way of life! I can get a good shave from any razor, my best shaves come from rigid razors, so I don't bother with the not so rigid razors.

Some people have peach fuzz and don't need a rigid razor. Some people don't shave ATG where rigidity shines. Some people don't care if they get BBS results everytime, they accept what they get.

I go for and get a problem free, comfortable BBS shave everytime and I only shave ATG with a SE that will last 20+ hours before stubble breaks skin. None of that WTG, XTG, WTG, XTG, WTG, XTG nonsense... :confused1

Some people don't care if they get BBS results everytime, they accept what they get.

That's pretty much me.... one pass WTG and I get very good results. I don't go for BBS; 5 o'clock shadow appears the moment I turn away from the mirror no matter how close I shave. :)

As long as I don't have any irritation, I'm happy.

Rigidty is a way of life! I can get a good shave from any razor, my best shaves come from rigid razors, so I don't bother with the not so rigid razors.

Some people have peach fuzz and don't need a rigid razor. Some people don't shave ATG where rigidity shines. Some people don't care if they get BBS results everytime, they accept what they get.

I go for and get a problem free, comfortable BBS shave everytime and I only shave ATG with a SE that will last 20+ hours before stubble breaks skin. None of that WTG, XTG, WTG, XTG, WTG, XTG nonsense... :confused1

+1 I can only get smooth and comfortable BBS shaves with very rigid razors (Single Edge Razors and Razors that hold the blade rigid like Timeless). Will be selling all my non rigid razors soon.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

It could be one or the other, or both.

Determining how much rigidity you might need is done through trial and error. Some, like Doug above, have no need for creased rigidity. Others, like rabidus and myself need all we can get.

Using my R41 or my Fatip for example, the difference is immediately noticeable. Would it be as noticeable to you is another question. Would it be noticeable at all, shaving ATG? I believe it would.

There is a lot to read around the forum. A quick search of the DE forum for the word 'rigid' will yield many results.

I drank the Kool-Aid before I was a member here and I'm still drinking it.

I think rigidity makes a difference in the smoothness of a razor, but not in closeness or comfort. I only shave WTG, so I might have a different opinion if I shaved ATG.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I can have a BBS shave with my R41 and a fresh Feather blade with 3 full passes, WTG, XTG and ATG and 2-3 clean ups done in 5 directions over my swirls.

Using my Grande and a Derby Extra blade its two full passes, WTG/XTG and ATG and one small clean up in 2 directions over my swirls. With a Polsilver, its one buffing pass directly ATG and one clean up over my swirls. The only difference is the rigidity of the blade from differing baseplate support.

Using the same technique with my R41 and the same Feather blade on a second shave and it bit me twice when I didnt think it should have. The difference being, the sharpness level after one shave.

R41 - Feather flipped.

PdP 63.

Maggard synthetic.

48 hours since last shave.

Standard three pass N-S, S-N, ATG. Two clean ups ATG.

I loaded the soap the same, about 15 seconds, then into the bowl to build it in my brush. I had one little bit left on the side of the bowl, but the brush easily held enough for the entire shave.

First pass N-S, no issues, but the blade did tug at my jawline and lower which is XTG N-S.

Second pass S-N. Again, slight tugging.

Third pass ATG. Slight tugging throughout the pass becoming moderate under and up the face of my chin. The blade flexed and skipped at the left side of my mouth where the direction change is. One weeper there and another right side swirl.

First clean up ATG at and below my jawline W-E left, E-W right. It bit me again left side of my mouth, another weeper 1/16" from the first one. Then I got another left side swirl.

Second light clean up 45° downwards over my swirls and done.

A nice BBS shave, despite the weepers that were very minor. I didnt feel the harshness at any point in the shave, but theres a noticeable difference in sharpness of the blade, after just one shave. The weepers were closed up after I toweled off and the post shave feel is very nice, the same as this soap has given me since my first use.

My Grande hasnt made me bleed in several months and only ever did through mistakes of my own.

Esox makes some convincing arguments relative to blade flexing and rigidity. It comes down to that there are a lot of shaver and beards, and some prefer no flex on their DE razor. I'm still not convinced, but shaving lightly and thoroughly lubricating your beard will reduce irritation significantly - regardless.

Top Bottom