What's new

Right case for single ring?

I understand that these (celluloid?) cases housed both the flare end aristocrats and some bostonian type razors. Did they ever come with single rings in them?
It seems a little large for the case, and so does my Bostonian. Was the flare end Aristocrat shorter? The coloring on it matches the Aristocrat case I've seen pictured, but the blade holders match the Bostonian pic.
Also, any idea about how much I should have paid? I paid $35.
proxy.php

The thread I'm using as a reference is here.
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=625434&postcount=10

Last edited:
Cool. Thanks!
Any idea how much it's worth?

Also, is there a way to safely clean the case to bring back it's original color? It looks like it's yellowed a lot with age. The cases I see in the other thread look brighter, whiter. It would be great if I could restore these to what looks like a dead on match for my vintage Old Spice stuff. :)

Nice score! Any date (serial number) on the Single Ring?

For a bit more discussion on the celluloid cases (and the blades boxes), see this thread on Oldguy's 1917 Aristocrat.

BTW, while I've got no idea of "true value", I'd put it at the very least at what you paid.

I understand that these (celluloid?) cases housed both the flare end aristocrats and some bostonian type razors. Did they ever come with single rings in them?
It seems a little large for the case, and so does my Bostonian. Was the flare end Aristocrat shorter? The coloring on it matches the Aristocrat case I've seen pictured, but the blade holders match the Bostonian pic.
Also, any idea about how much I should have paid? I paid $35.

For $35 you did fine, about what a nice Single Ring is without the case.

I don't believe a Single Ring was ever sold with the cream celluloid case. I think you mean the blade case looks like the one with the '28 Aristocrat. The Bostonian only used the metal cases. It does appear that this case and variations were used in Aristocrat sets for some time. The '28 only had one blade case where the older models had two.

Len

Perhaps this part would be better left to another thread, but I have a question about the razor I referred to as a Bostonian. I see that it's not a Bostonian, but an Aristocrat, but the razor I referred to as a Bostonian is identical to a Bostonian, the only difference being the case and being called an Aristocrat, right? Or is there some slight difference in manufacture that sets this apart as an Aristocrat, with or without the case?

. ...

I don't believe a Single Ring was ever sold with the cream celluloid case. I think you mean the blade case looks like the one with the '28 Aristocrat. The Bostonian only used the metal cases. It does appear that this case and variations were used in Aristocrat sets for some time. The '28 only had one blade case where the older models had two.

Len

I´ve seen some single ring in that case. The 1928 New Improved Aristocrat case has written "Aristocrat"
proxy.php

Perhaps this part would be better left to another thread, but I have a question about the razor I referred to as a Bostonian. I see that it's not a Bostonian, but an Aristocrat, but the razor I referred to as a Bostonian is identical to a Bostonian, the only difference being the case and being called an Aristocrat, right? Or is there some slight difference in manufacture that sets this apart as an Aristocrat, with or without the case?

The knurling of the knob is different. The Aristocrat knob has the same knurling like the handle.

Oh, that is NICE, ctakim. I'm not sure if I want to shine mine up or leave it be.

Kind of a side note:
I was in Onalaska Wisconsin this past weekend for non-antique related reasons, but had some time to spare. So I head south on Losey Blvd. looking for the street I usually take to get into downtown La Crosse, when I suddenly remembered. The name of that street is Gillette! This has to be a sign. I turn onto Gillette street and keep my eyes peeled. Sure enough, there on the left is a little antique store called Golden Possum or something like that. I wish I could tell you that I found this beauty there. Nope. Bone dry, and the lady at the counter said 'they go fast'. Not what I want to hear.

Fearing the worst, that every shop in town will be picked over, I rather sullenly make my way to the downtown area. I soon find an antique mall, looks like 3 floors. Within minutes, I found this hiding behind some war medals. I saw a half dozen or more other razors in other vendors' cases too, but I had most of them already, and they seemed kind of pricey.
Long story short, I looked at less than half of the ground floor before I had to get going again. 2 more floors at least, and vendors who bring their razors

Chris. I thought your case was the same as my Aristocrat, but it's different. Where the top and bottom hinges is different. And the satin on my case extends over where the top and bottom hinge. Yours doesn't. This is very interesting. The blade cases are the same though. You can see it here.

My case looks the same as the Aristocrat in the WIKI. Your SR and Amishmotorboat's SR case are the same.

View attachment 72179

Len

Last edited:
Top Bottom