What's new

Rex or non-adjustable stainless steel option?

Alright I am interested in buying a stainless steel razor. Why? I'm not sure. They look pretty and well built. I own and have owned a couple of vintage razors and while I find them and their history cool - I prefer the sturdiness of my Flexi.
I have (had) a couple non-adjustable razors but find them mostly uninteresting, none of them (fatip being the exception have been able to provide me with efficient shaves - I have tough facial hair. Something about the adjustable razors just ... fulfills me.

I mostly use a Pearl Flexi that I like very much (settings 5 wtg - 5 xtg and 3 atg), a Merkur Progress - also great (5 - 5 - 3) and my Fatip piccolo storto.
All three of these give me excellent shaves.

Since I love the Flexi, the Rex Ambassador might be a great option. The Flexi is effecient enough but I think it's a bit on the heavy side.
I have read many thoughts on the Ambassador on this forum, most people seem to think it's more blade forward and less smooth but more or at least equally efficient.

I know there's other options available, the Taiga being very interesting. But I can get the Rex from a local store which I find more interesting in case anything would be wrong with it. Also don't have to worry about long shipping times, custom handling fees or shipping fees.

Would it be a great idea to get the Rex? Can any of you deduct if I'd like it based on the above most used razors and their settings?
I am also kind of curious about the RR Game changer .84 and EJ 3One6. But they aren't adjustable so I'm a bit worried they won't satisfy my needs.
If anyone could conform they shave similarly as my most used razors and equally efficient that would ofcourse be a more economical option for me...

Thanks!

I've read about the Konsul being very promising but until they appear in local (web)stores I won't and can't buy it. Since all I see on RE website is the ability to pre-order, I guess it's going to take quite a while before they are distributed to stores in Europe.

Well as long as you are in the I'm Not sure state it's a good idea just to look around first.

Your Flexi is a great razor. Hard to beat these shaves. There isn't much out there that works clearly better. The rex is close but with more blade feel although less than the progress.
Maybe the Rockwell 6s with six different baseplates is suitable for you though more on the milder side, even at the highest setting. The gamechanger is available with different baseplates, so you can choose.

I have tried many different razors and I return to the Flexi very often.

Just listen to all following advices and take your time to get to know what you want and need.

With a Flexi (which I never tried) and a Progress (I do a similar progression to yours) the Rex might just be expensive white noise. The Flexi after all is a copy of the Rex. All that being said, with a Rex I have no curiosity to try a Flexi. I find the Rex higher settings more comfortable than the Progress at high settings, but it might be a tiny bit less efficient than the Progress.

I have the 3one6 and like it very much. The aggression/efficiency is halfway between the Muhle R89 and R41. Have you used the Muhle R41? They now have it in stainless steel. The Muhle Rocca is often compared to the 3one6. I find the Rocca feels a little smoother, but I get a closer shave with the 3one6.

I haven't tried the R41 because I have read tales of blood and carnage! It scares me.
Interesting to read someone that likes the 3one6 alot, it doesn't seem to get alot of praise on here.
R89 I did try but it wasn't very efficient.

Reactions: ewk

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I am in that small camp that has concluded that all razors are equally efficient if they all use the same blade and the user consistently puts the blade at the optimal angle and does not let the whiskers grow too long. I believe wider gaps and greater exposure afford greater ease in placing the blade at that optimal angle. From that point of view I find even very mild razors very efficient. However, I concede that most, maybe all, on this forum reject my premise. So finding a razor with a plate that makes it aggressive (which is not the same as efficient) might be a good solution. I would suggest any Above the Tie Windsor with a wide gap. They have merged mild and regular into the MR and regular and heavy into the RH. Some of the old H plates are still available.

I love my Rex and I love my SS Taiga. Two very different razors. If you're looking for a stainless adjustable, these should be near or at the top of anyone's list (the Rocnel Sailor is up there as well, but a different stratosphere because, cost). I should interject that I consider an adjustable as a razor with a dial that you can adjust mid-shave. The Rex seems to have more variability as far as user satisfaction, and I'm not sure why - it's probably the most robustly constructed adjustable in any class, it has a full range of adjustment, and it provides an excellent shave, from mild to aggressive. It also has the best grip of any razor I've used. Users have described the matte finish head on the Rex as "sticky," but I can't say that has been a problem for me with any combination of soaps. The SS Taiga is a "sleeker" razor than the Rex in appearance, slightly longer (93.3mm vs 87.5mm OAL) and actually slightly heavier (108g vs 106g). The Taiga is a full Gibbs design and breaks down completely into 7 parts. In the Rex, the cap comes off - a 2-piece razor - so you can't really get into or service the internal parts if needed (which I haven't). The Taiga is to me a more maneuverable razor, and it has a higher top range as far as gap and aggressiveness (which I'll never fully use - but it's there), and I actually like its less "chunky" look compared to the Rex. The grip on the SS Taiga (at least the polished version) is not as positive as the Rex, which I consider the benchmark. Cost is similar factoring shipping. One thing I like about both razors and companies is that they offer a corresponding stand for their razors in the razor material, as opposed to Rocnel's approach (with the exception of the MC), which is "Here's the razor, figure it out." Either razor is world-class and top of the adjustable line, and either will give you (and your grandchildren) a lifetime of great shaves.

I do not have the Taiga, but have both the Rex and Flexi. Rex & Flexi are different in handling, but the shaving process is pretty much the same, e.g., the Rex is heavier than most other razors, the Flexi is heavier still; the Rex grip is more substantive than the Flexi, but both sit well on my little finger.

If you want something similar to your Flexi, in stainless and more refined in machining, the Rex is an excellent choice. If you want something substantively different, but still adjustable and in ss, the Taiga would be a well regarded choice.

Interesting discussion!

My favorite adjustable was not SS, but the humble Slim. Once I figured out ’my setting’ I found that I did not change. With the few multi-plate options I tried, once I figured things out I did not change.

After I came to that conclusion I went with 3-piece designs in the ‘mild/moderate’ range that I prefer!

YMMV for sure!!

I have a soviet replica of an aristocrat that gets used occassionaly (I used it this morning) .
It shaves and looks good but, like I said I prefer the feel of my Flexi. The slim-alikes all have the typical "Gillette plating" which I know has proven to be able to whitstand the test of time but just feels less down my alley.
Also, I prefer my blades to be completly covered.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Put yourself on the Wolfman waiting list while you look. WR1 is an excellent razor for efficiency. You can check the Wolfman blade gap threads to see what gap would be best for you. While you're waiting, you can continue to look at adjustables. You can always take your name off the list if you decide to go the adjustable route again.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
@Shaun asleep As long as you do not buy a Rockwell 6S, you can barely make a mistake. I would not recommend the Rexes either. Both Envoy and Ambassador. I would not recommend them these days, too many alternatives.

I will shave tonight with the Rockwell 6S (photo for the SOTD thread is already prepared) and once again examine and state that it is a hard to find a lower quality stainless steel razor with a more basic finish these days. Even the chinese models I have run circles around it in quality, and it is not as if there would not be dozens of threads here and elsewhere devolving into "best razor ever" and 3 replacements later the thing has worse quality issues than in the beginning. It does shave well and is a mild razor, but this can hardly be considered an outstanding quality. I will examine how an ugly duckling could become so popular. It's not a swan. It's more readily and easily available than many other options, I guess that is it.

The Rex Ambassador and Envoy also goes back to an era where there were no other stainless steel razors. It might have just too much blade for you and is a significant investment with 249 USD and then you shave with it on setting 1 as the blade exposure, which you cannot change, might not be for you. I only have the half price Envoy and I like its stand and the kind of knurling it has, but wasn't taken by the shaving qualities of the head, supposedly similar to the Ambassador on setting 3.

Shaun, you are reading this forum for months already. You should know about some razors already. Let me show you some European shops. I hope this is not against a forum rule, if not I apologize and ask for the links to be removed.

One moment, please... - https://www.rasoigoodfellas.eu/ -> The Styletto is a bit like a Game Changer. Would recommend for you not to start with the most aggressive one, rather the silver or golden one. Dunno anymore which one was the "medium" gap version.
The Two Barbers - https://www.thetwobarbers.com/ -> has ATT and quite some other razors.
Find the best brand for the wet and perfect shaving on yourshaving.com - YourShaving - https://www.yourshaving.com/en/ -> I remember them for their Stork handles, it's a Spanish shop.
NoMoreBeard.com - https://nomorebeard.com/ -> I have not yet ordered from them, found what they have always elsewhere
TATARA RAZORS | PREMIUM SAFETY RAZORS - https://tatararazors.com/ -> directly from the manufacturer. Good with discount actions, otherwise Rasoi offers often the same price, but has express shipping to many EU countries for free.

RazoRock razors are of course available from Italian Barber - https://www.italianbarber.com/ in Canada but you would have to pay customs and I don't know if you already imported razors, I don't think so. You might want to avoid that. The same would apply to Alpha Shaving, unless you order from the UK, but they now add VAT and customs procedures there as well. Aliexpress and Etsy also offer nice razors, look for Stando razors on Etsy, or the Green Cult razor, which is a very low priced razor that gives an extremely good shave.

People post razors nonstop here, but let's sum up some lower price options that are very good:

-> Razorock razors. The Game Changer .84 SB gets mentioned often enough by me, I believe.
-> their clones by DSCosmetics. Sometimes even a bit better, fancier handles, but often more slippery due to excessive polishing.
-> Yaqi also offers stainless steel razors. Usually not the nicest finish, and again often blatant clones.
-> Mühle, Edwin Jagger. Rocca, 3ONE6. Not exactly my top favorites, but they are priced even below the Rockwell 6S regularly and offer much higher quality.

Also, please note, I am just trying to help Shaun, not to bash someone's preferences. I don't want to annoy people who love their Rex or Rockwell. That's all YMMV. We are all enthusiasts and shaving buddies.

I find Rex very expensive for what they offer and, again YMMV, don't like my Envoy overly much. For the Rockwell I think people would agree that many love how it shaves, but finish and quality leave a lot to be desired. For the price there are better options by now.

As for making even more suggestions, the whole forum is there to read up and find a razor that you believe to be a good fit for you. Unfortunately, I don't know any Belgian shop. Also, be very afraid: Aliexpress considers Liege to be part of Germany, no joke. I found that always a bit disturbing.

Also, be very afraid: Aliexpress considers Liege to be part of Germany
Hahaha!

Thanks for your elaborate reply.
I'll be sure to check out the links you have provided.

The s6 doesn't really appeal to me.

I had actually half settled on ordering a Rex but you've just managed to sway me. At least for now.
I did check out the tatara adjustable but I don't like it's aesthetics.
The search continues...

Personally I do feel that if you don't wish to pay customs and taxes the Muhle Rocca is a good razor to start. I never used the 3ONE6 so no comments there. I do love the Razorock Gamechanger .84 open comb though, and if you can find a European retailor, it's going to be worth it. If you are willing to splurge, the Tatara is awesome.

Getting razorock razors, Edwin Jaggers and Muhles is no problem from Dutch webstores. So easy enough to aqcuire without custom hassles.

WR1 is an excellent razor for efficiency

The wolfman razors would mean having to pay extra for custom, something I want to avoid.
I keep reading the new Lupo. 72 or. 9x is based on this head. I could get that one easily and quickly but is it really similar to the wolfman wr1?

Edit just found the post on B&b. Looks like the lupo. 72 is interesting indeed...

Last edited:
Top Bottom