What's new

Rex Ambassador vs Merkur Progress - is the price difference justified ?

Hi everyone. As my next razor purchase, I am looking at adjustable razors. I am focussing on the Merkur Progress and the Rex Ambassador. The price difference is significant ($79 vs $339 in my country). One is made in Germany, the other US. I am not bothered by the plastic end of the Progress handle, and I tend to be pretty gentle with my razors, so maximum toughness is not a top priority for me. In terms of quality of shave and usability, is the Ambassador worth it, or am I wasting my money and better off with the Progress ?

Many thanks in advance.

I've had my Progress for a long time and love it. Still looks and performs as good as new.
Expensive razors don't mean better shaves. The Rex is made of high quality materials and it's so well built. It'll last forever. The price is mainly due to the material, manufacturing process, which is pretty complex.
Does it shave better than my Progress? Not at all.
For me personally, the Progress is so much smoother and just as efficient than the Rex. It works with pretty much every blade I put in it.
The Rex is known to be on the aggressive side and really demands attention to technique. It's also blade fussy in my opinion.
I personally love the look of the Progress. It's been around since the 50s. That says a lot. I haven't come across anyone who doesn't love their Progress but I know people who don't seem to like the way the Rex shaves.
Get both and give them both a try [emoji16]

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

Both good razors as far as usability. I have both (actually a Mergress), and either is capable of delivering a smooth, comfortable shave. That said, depends on what you're looking in a shave - one of the features/flaws in the Rex (depending on what you favor) is blade feel, from 1 on up. You will know there's a blade in the razor, and you will pay attention. Or else. The Progress/Mergress is gentle on lower settings, aggressive on higher settings. No question that the Rex is a heavier duty razor, built for the long haul, quality throughout - with the price reflecting that. The Progress won't last as long, even with care, but barring unforeseen events will last for many years, though probably not decades (although possible). And that may not even matter to you. You could certainly replace the Progress several times for the price of the Rex. I like them both.

lasta

Blade Biter
I'm gonna go against the grain. I've had the Progress for a few years, no sign of wear. whereas "marine steel" razors are actually fairly soft.

Having made the mistake of loading two razors in the ultrasonic cleaner at the same time, the "micro bumping" caused a fair bit of small scratches on my steel razor while the plated progress came out unscathed.

Mind you, this is referring to the RR Game changer, maybe Rex uses harder steel?

Thanks lasta.

One thing I have read is that the Rex has a smaller, flatter head / cap, which makes it easier to get under the nose. This would be appealing to me, but on its own would not be enough for me to purchase it. I have a Merkur 15C which has a very small head, and is perfect for getting under the nose.

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks lasta.

One thing I have read is that the Rex has a smaller, flatter head / cap, which makes it easier to get under the nose. This would be appealing to me, but on its own would not be enough for me to purchase it. I have a Merkur 15C which has a very small head, and is perfect for getting under the nose.

Hmm, never had any problem getting under the nose with any razor to be honest. Gillette Slim was my daily driver for more than 10 years and it had a bigger dome than the Progress.
Mind you, I'm more of a pig snout than bird beak kinda guy:c1:.

In terms of quality of shave and usability, is the Ambassador worth it, or am I wasting my money and better off with the Progress ?

I don’t own a progress, but I do own a Rex, which I love by the way. To your point, In terms of Quality of shave and usability I don’t think the Rex is superior, because I’m sure the Progress delivers a fine shave and is very easy to use (otherwise it wouldn’t be around for 60+ years)

The Rex is for those gents who appreciate build quality, materials, and design. Feels solid and substantial in the hand, and it is truly beautiful and well made. Sure, it delivers a fine shave, too.

In situations like these, I always like to use a shaving analogy with other type of product. For example, why would you buy an expensive soap when you can use a budget one and get pretty much the same results? Well, maybe you get a better scent or a little better slickness and protection. Is it going to be 10-15X better than ____ (budget soap)? Probably not. The same goes for razors. Only you can tell if it’s worth or not

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I don’t own a progress, but I do own a Rex, which I love by the way. To your point, In terms of Quality of shave and usability I don’t think the Rex is superior, because I’m sure the Progress delivers a fine shave and is very easy to use (otherwise it wouldn’t be around for 60+ years)

The Rex is for those gents who appreciate build quality, materials, and design. Feels solid and substantial in the hand, and it is truly beautiful and well made. Sure, it delivers a fine shave, too.

In situations like these, I always like to use a shaving analogy with other type of product. For example, why would you buy an expensive soap when you can use a budget one and get pretty much the same results? Well, maybe you get a better scent or a little better slickness and protection. Is it going to be 10-15X better than ____ (budget soap)? Probably not. The same goes for razors. Only you can tell if it’s worth or not

The razor is like a watch, CASIO/SEIKO/ROLEX/PATEK PHILIPPE all show the same time.

If you only want to read time, more expensive watches are not necessary; but if we want to bring pleasure to the taste buds when we are full, we must add other levels of enjoyment.

I'm gonna go against the grain. I've had the Progress for a few years, no sign of wear. whereas "marine steel" razors are actually fairly soft.

Having made the mistake of loading two razors in the ultrasonic cleaner at the same time, the "micro bumping" caused a fair bit of small scratches on my steel razor while the plated progress came out unscathed.

Mind you, this is referring to the RR Game changer, maybe Rex uses harder steel?

Yep, stainless steel is softer than chrome, although chrome is more brittle. The issue being that the chrome is a micron-thin layer, and underneath is a metal that's softer than just about anything else, and subject to rapid and unstoppable corrosion once the protective chrome layer is broken.

Yep, stainless steel is softer than chrome, although chrome is more brittle. The issue being that the chrome is a micron-thin layer, and underneath is a metal that's softer than just about anything else, and subject to rapid and unstoppable corrosion once the protective chrome layer is broken.
Not quite the full story. The durability of chrome depends on the hardness of the base metal, therefore, chrome is not generally used on aluminum, softer grades of brass, or copper. If the base metal is dented, the chrome begins to flake, which is why you most commonly see zamak oxidation on the threads of posts, and around the bases of the posts, or on the corners of baseplates- these are the areas that bear more stress and flex more, in use, pulling the chrome away from the zamak.

I'm a know anti-zamaker. My main issue is paying a price that is incredibly over inflated for the materials and production cost. The molds in use have been around for 70+ years, and have been paid for hundreds of times over, yet Merkur still opens at the $80-100 mark.

However, if you like the feel and style, it is certainly cheaper than most stainless offerings.

I have the rex ambassador and the opgress (progress with metal adjustment knob). I actually really rate the opgress. I love the ambassador as well but the opgress shaves really well for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
Not quite the full story. The durability of chrome depends on the hardness of the base metal, therefore, chrome is not generally used on aluminum, softer grades of brass, or copper. If the base metal is dented, the chrome begins to flake, which is why you most commonly see zamak oxidation on the threads of posts, and around the bases of the posts, or on the corners of baseplates- these are the areas that bear more stress and flex more, in use, pulling the chrome away from the zamak.

I'm a know anti-zamaker. My main issue is paying a price that is incredibly over inflated for the materials and production cost. The molds in use have been around for 70+ years, and have been paid for hundreds of times over, yet Merkur still opens at the $80-100 mark.

However, if you like the feel and style, it is certainly cheaper than most stainless offerings.

I must admit, I'm not a steel razor expert nor a hater, the Game Changer is so far my first and wont be only. But the Razorock is cheap.

I've got the slim more than 11 years ago, at least 10 have been my most used razor, and I'm sure it was used more than that before I got it (not pretty). One side of the chrome has flaked off at the time I received it, and after a decade of abuse, hasn't got any bigger. My R41 is 6 year old, second most used razor, plating is as good as new. Though the gold plated handle has seen better days.

I do wholeheartedly recommend the aesthetics and weight of the GC, but I'm not sold on the "steel=more durable and deserve a premium" part...yet.

lasta

Blade Biter
Speaking of which Pappa Piccolino, before jumping on either, maybe the GC or Lupo would be an introductory option? The head is thinner than the rex, so bird beak approved.

I had a Mergress and a Rex. Wished I still had the Mergress but that is another story.

The Rex was dried thoroughly for 24 hours and put away for another rotation. The razor rusted in storage. Never had the issue with the Feather stainless. In terms of materials the Progress is going to fair better over time.

Some will no doubt take exception to what has been written and vehemently defend "their" razor of choice. But an expensive, premium price razor made of stainless should not rust when it has been well maintained.

The short handle version of the Progress is a nice performing razor even though it will not last forever, it will last many years with good care. It is more maneuverable while shaving. The Rex is made very well with more premium materials, but kind of a tank. I'd say it is a subjective call.

Top Bottom