What's new

Review Thread for 8/8 Damascus Bois de Rose Maestro Livi

So you guys want perfection eh? If thats the case you had better move to a different century.

I think if you buy a product and its perfect no matter if its factory made or handmade your just plain lucky. The only real concern to me, is the "defect" a minor cosmetic thing or some major problem or something that will affect its performance and secondly will the maker correct the problem if it bothers us that much.

I think those that question prices on these "super razors" would probably never buy one anyway. You can't quantify the prices in practical terms. A guy driving a Honda Civic and who thinks its the best car in the world would never buy a Mercedes, its just not worth it to him.

Personally I have a maestro and it came perfect and shaved perfect out of the box. I recently got a Williams Razor. Its a wonderful razor too but it needed touch up honing to get it to shave to its potential. I also noticed the bevel on the razor is very uneven so I guess you can say it wasn't perfect. At its price point its still a fantastic bargin to me and its a very high quality razor, very different than the maestro so its hard to compare the two.

In the end buying one of these razors is a personal decision we all make. Shave quality is not one of the main concerns because that factor can be had for a fraction of the price.

Well said Sir:thumbup1:

they're nice, but they certainly aren't the holy grail

Obviously but I don’t think expecting Excalibur or a Hanzo blade would be too out of line. This is Mastro Livi, the Maestro virtuoso of straight razors. These are handcrafted works of art, investments, and the benchmarks to which others aspire. Those aren't minor details and may well effect resale value because someone might suspect after sale damage or maybe even counterfit.

I don’t think anyone expects perfection, but obvious flaws that are not natural character of the material are really unacceptable from a craftsman that is a living legend.

I have been practicing my lottery win acceptance speech with “The first thing I’m going to get is a hand crafted Mastro Livi custom straight razor.”

Oh the humanity of reality

Top Bottom