What's new

Reverse Light Etching

This is an antique store find as you can see it has reverse etching that’s very light and I know any kind of polish would instantly remove it. Does anyone think that I could use something like baking soda and water or toothpaste?

In the upper corner at the tip of the to toe thereIs a few dark spots with hitting active rust removed with a bid on the spine and some of the tail would be nice to get this little cleaner and also remove some of the tarnish near the edge (hard to see in pics) but I don’t really want to touch it if it’s going to remove the etching.

Does anybody have any techniques and methods they use? I can live with the pitting and light tarnish but if there is a way that would be nice

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Need to do some fine wet sanding on tail and maybe spine but rest just polish with Flitz or Maas and restore scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Use 0000 steelwool when you work on the etch and scales. First give the polish and 0000 and proper go before deciding to use any sandpaper (tang can be sanded). You want to retain some blade character, less is always better IMO.

Don't touch the etch, don't look at it too long, actually don't think about it too much or it will be gone.

The most I do is WD-40 on a cotton cloth.

Any idea of a range of when this was made I am guessing mid 1800s based on what I have seen but with G. Instead of Geo or George written out and the I-XL no like other I have seen I am not sure. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom