What's new

Revenge of the Badger

There’s centuries worth of collective experience here. Lots of people with lots of Simpson brushes. So, of these three knots, which looks most like a Simpsons

IMG_2884.jpeg

Where is that old thread from the fellow that found a dead badger?!?
Good reminder to read the thread again. Laughing a few minutes a day keeps the doctor away!

Oh, there is plenty of glue - at least INSIDE the knot. The pin inserted through the knot is touching the top of the plug.
That's probably not correct. The plug is probably somewhere around mid-point of the sticker. I don't believe the other grades have a plug like these ones do. I could be wrong, and i doubt anyone would want to buy some brushes in different grades to band saw them in half to find out if our theory is true. In any event, the 2 band silvertips are a different shape than the other grades- another strong indicator that Simpson is outsourcing the knots for this grade hair.

There’s centuries worth of collective experience here. Lots of people with lots of Simpson brushes. So, of these three knots, which looks most like a Simpsons

View attachment 1819482
Many of us appreciate the typical Simpson knot often referred to as a hybrid or classic. Therefore, my expectation for a Simpson would be either the knot on the left or middle with a preference for the knot on the left. The knot in the middle looks like your new 2 band. I would be very surprised to get the bulb on the right.

That's probably not correct.
That pin is in fact the top of the glue plug in the knot. I can prove that on down the gap around the bore as well, and the bottom of the bore is 1/2”. In other areas where it hits the glue plug, it’s only 1/4” below the rim

I have nine Simpson brushes with either Manchurian, Super of Best badger hair. Eight of them were purchased directly from Simpsons UK. Only one, a Wee Scot that was bought from Pasteur NYC had a similar behavior until thoroughly cleaned. My assumption was that some vendors are extra cautious and treat the brushes with a sterilizing/disinfecting solution.
Could this be the case?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
This is why I usually buy Semogues. I hope after this surprise beginning the brush has a long and happy life in your den.

I have nine Simpson brushes with either Manchurian, Super of Best badger hair. Eight of them were purchased directly from Simpsons UK. Only one, a Wee Scot that was bought from Pasteur NYC had a similar behavior until thoroughly cleaned. My assumption was that some vendors are extra cautious and treat the brushes with a sterilizing/disinfecting solution.
Could this be the case?
Vendors extra cautions ???
Uhmm never heard of such a thing.
I think the vendors don't even open the boxes...

Last edited:
That pin is in fact the top of the glue plug in the knot. I can prove that on down the gap around the bore as well, and the bottom of the bore is 1/2”. In other areas where it hits the glue plug, it’s only 1/4” below the rim
Ok. If that's the case it's not acceptable to me. There shouldn't be glue that far up the knot. When i took the knot out of my brush i didn't measure the depth of the bore, but if i recall it's deeper than 1/2". You might be hitting the glue plug at that depth- which is what i'd expect.

Many of us appreciate the typical Simpson knot often referred to as a hybrid or classic. Therefore, my expectation for a Simpson would be either the knot on the left or middle with a preference for the knot on the left. The knot in the middle looks like your new 2 band. I would be very surprised to get the bulb on the right.
Curious which one(s) is/are Simpsons?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
After checking out the thread Rudy Vey linked, and seeing his cutaway chubby2, I decided to probe around the edge of the knot on mine with a needle.

I’m pretty sure the glue plug is about 1/4” under the rim, and on one side it feels like the needle goes all the way down to the bottom of the bore - which is about half as far as the cutaway.

I’m beginning to think this a Chinese outsourced knot, which would be disappointing considering I paid the Simpsons premium expecting a tied knot, handmade in Great Britain.
I love my Simpson brushes and the reason I was happy to pay a premium to own them is that they were entirely hand made by craftsmen and women in my own country, who received fair wages, benefits, and conditions that I would want to receive myself.

The two band SiLVERTiP knots may well be excellent, and while I have no doubt they are tied by hand, I believe those hands are located in China and as such I am not prepared to pay a premium to own them. I asked a specific question to Simpson regarding where the SiLVERTiP knots were tied and received such an evasive answer that it served only to reinforce my suspicion. In my opinion the SiLVERTiP knots are misrepresented by Simpson and for me this, together with the increasingly bewildering choice of knots, lurid handle colours, and lesser quality budget offerings, has diminished the Simpson brand. Perhaps this is Simpson having to react to a changing market and good luck to them but I will no longer purchase any of their products.

Curious which one(s) is/are Simpsons?
IMG_2883.jpeg

I love my Simpson brushes and the reason I was happy to pay a premium to own them is that they were entirely hand made by craftsmen and women in my own country, who received fair wages, benefits, and conditions that I would want to receive myself.

The two band SiLVERTiP knots may well be excellent, and while I have no doubt they are tied by hand, I believe those hands are located in China and as such I am not prepared to pay a premium to own them. I asked a specific question to Simpson regarding where the SiLVERTiP knots were tied and received such an evasive answer that it served only to reinforce my suspicion. In my opinion the SiLVERTiP knots are misrepresented by Simpson and for me this, together with the increasingly bewildering choice of knots, lurid handle colours, and lesser quality budget offerings, has diminished the Simpson brand. Perhaps this is Simpson having to react to a changing market and good luck to them but I will no longer purchase any of their products.
Well stated. I sent an email to Anna expressing my disappointment regarding this knot. So far it's been crickets, but it is Good Friday so I will give some grace. If I don't hear back Monday, then the silence will be speaking volumes.

Top Bottom