What's new

Retirement Towns

Would it be feasible, financially and otherwise to split your year between two residences within Michigan or summer on a Michigan beach and winter in a much more hospitable climate further south?

I'm in a similar clime here and it'd be great to winter someplace else, summers we all complain about but i can live with.
dave

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My wife and I are planning to move to the area around Clemson, SC. We live in Fort Mill, SC now which is adjacent to Charlotte NC. It has become an area for Charlotte refugees escaping high taxes and other things and it becoming too crowded. Clemson was recently rated as one to the best retirement areas in the US. It is in the foothills of the NC Appalachians. There are large lakes, cultural benefits and sports from the university and small towns with very affordable housing and only an hour from the mountains, as well as good shopping, restaurants and excellent medical. SC taxes are reasonable and retirement income isn't taxed. I went to college there and it remains the best place I have lived (of many) in the past forty plus years. I really shouldn't even be touting it I suppose.

Reading through this thread it’s interesting to see the many yays and nays for specific parts of the world to retire and relax in one’s golden years.
High taxes versus no taxes, high heat versus cold climes, cranky townsfolk versus welcoming neighbours, rampant riots versus Barney Fife-type law enforcement...
We are all of a relatively like-minded, uhhh, mind-set, so what’s stopping us from pooling our vast resources (since we all save money by wetshaving), and purchase our very own B&B Retirement Country?
Something offshore of the southeastern US, maybe a part of Bermuda they don’t need. Not too hot, not too cold...like Goldilocks’ porridge and bed, it’s “just right”.
We wouldn’t need to even “purchase” it, just go in and annex what we want. The locals would soon tire of being constantly told to get off everyone’s lawn, the sneering condescension from B&B approved shopkeepers when the natives start bellyaching about the lack of cartridge razors, and the ensuing legislation banning the importation of shaving gel.
It makes sense really. We’re all relatively civilized gentlemen and will quickly find common ground in establishing a workable constitution.
I nominate Ouch as the titular head of state...unseeing, unknowing, and unable to pin down. The perfect leader...out of sight, out of mind.
August West will be chief magistrate, keeping the populace on their toes, requiring each resident to update their avatar at a moment’s whim.
Marco will be the Groomsman Governor General, importing only the finest straight razor barbers for mandatorialy complimentary Italian barbering services and eventually teaching future practioners of the art.
Esox will ensure the NHL will have a franchise in our country...hey, if Vegas can make the Finals, amirite? But please, no members of the Hunter family can be involved with this franchise, okay?
Our our Canadian brethren will pool their knowledge in making sure roads are clear of snow. Wait, this is an island off the southeast US? No snow? No problem...just give us beer and we’ll pretend to do the job, eh?
What more could one ask of in a “retirement community”? Temperate climate, little or no taxes, no crime...except for those who insist upon CONUS only PIF’s.
Sounds like a sweet set up. Who’s in?

Too many old codgers + the lovely ladies who sometimes beat us to the mailbox. And beat us. And we would spend all our time arguing about soap. Nope, this would not be Utopia.

Too many old codgers + the lovely ladies who sometimes beat us to the mailbox. And beat us. And we would spend all our time arguing about soap. Nope, this would not be Utopia.

Congrats, Macfrommichigan, you’re anointed Postmaster General.
“lovely ladies”. You mean “wives”? Hmmm, that’s something to be dealt with during the constitutional conference. Should take about five minutes.
And as to arguing about soap...beats the hell outta what everyone else is arguing about <koff> Russian collusion, anthem kneeling, Brexit, hilarious Australian politics.

Pshaw, impeachment of a despot like Ouch would be easy. I watch MSNBC and CNN every once in awhile. They make the process sound like a piece of cake.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I wanna be Ambassador to Michigan. Then I could get my fix in February of winter once a year and remember why I left.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I take a morning walk. Shop for dinner. Get the mail. Take a nap. Cook dinner. Watch a little TV.

A little stress might be welcome. :)

Maybe. But hang on. . . you have a plumbing leak. . . who is the local plumber?, Where is the phone book?

Where do I get a nice brioche in this town?

There is a lot of comfort in knowing the stuff you get to know about a place you have lived in a long time.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Maybe. But hang on. . . you have a plumbing leak. . . who is the local plumber?, Where is the phone book?

Where do I get a nice brioche in this town?

There is a lot of comfort in knowing the stuff you get to know about a place you have lived in a long time.
Very true. I want to die here. But long winter vacations are looking better every year.

I have a few years to go on this. Recently, at an age where a lot of you are retiring, I took a new job at my university with a big bump in pay. I figure 5 years or so, age 70, and I can take the retirement here and SS (if it hasn't gone bankrupt by then) and flee this pesthole. Noo Awlins. Heat, humidity, cracked streets like neglected toenails, high crime, high rents, low IQs, almost no left turns at major intersections, crazy drivers, the list goes on and on and on. I grew up here, have watched it decline, and have hated it for many years. People yap about "the food and the music" here. Well, good food can be prepared anyplace, and music can be had on vinyl or CD. No need to put up with the items I list in sentence 5 above just for that.

I too picture a small-ish town, a college town perhaps, with mountains or steep hills, and especially low humidity and 4 actual seasons. Winter? They have these new things in all the stores now, "coats" and "jackets." (I lived in Denver for 4.5 years; I can handle snow. Snow doesn't come inside your car and ruin your electronics like floods do.)

College towns that I know in the mountains = Boone NC, Banner Elk NC, Blacksburg Va, Harrisonburg VA, Bridgewater VA, Johnson City TN.
Boone has wicked traffic problems now but you wouldn't live in town anyway. Blacksburg is always a top town in ratings of college towns. Harrisonburg is bigger and closer to DC. Bridgewater is very close to Harrisonburg and much smaller. Johnson City is like Boone without the traffic. Banner Elk is a ski/summer resort with a small college.
I went to school in Boone and live in Blacksburg.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

There are some hidden gems in the small towns of SE Ohio and W West Virginia that I could easily see myself retiring into. The area around Gallipolis, OH / Point Pleasant, WVa is quite nice and definitely has a small town feel. Maybe TOO small town for a lot of people.

The area around Danville, KY is quite nice for those looking for small but still suburban college towns.

If I had plenty of money to live on and wanted to tell the whole world to get lost, I'd buy a couple of hundred acres on the Cumberland River in Southern KY / North Central TN, build a cabin in the middle of it, invest heavily in fishing rods and shotgun shells, and enjoy my solitude. There are areas even in the southeastern US where one can basically disappear without too much trouble, if that is what one wants to do...

Top Bottom