What's new

Retirement Towns

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I still can't find one place that has it all. NYC: Broadway is outstanding. Opera, Symphony, Jazz - any kind of music you like is available. The food!!! But: expensive and you can't walk down the sidewalk without feeling like your in a bad death race movie.

Small town in the South: great winter. Friendly feel. Low taxes. Culture: might be a good banjo player. Summer: if the floods don't get you the humidity will.

California: has that great climate and you can find a nice place just outside a big city with all that you need for around $1,000,000.

I think the snowbirds in NY have it the best. They go south for 3 months in the winter. Sure, they're bored to death, but they're not shoveling snow. Then they come back for the three nice seasons: still winter, construction, almost winter.

As I dreamed of retirement, sure saw myself in a beach town or college town in the SE USA. Did a lot of research, made some trips south. However, as I got older, humidity began to really bother me. Hence, Carolina coast or Oxford MS or Blacksburg VA or Carboro NC etc were considered and rejected.

Just can't afford two residences. Nor do I want to.

Still think I might find a better area than SE Michigan where I have lived forever. The third world roads alone drive me nuts. LOL

I'm in Upstate NY. I don't know how much colder it can get. However, I don't think I want to find out - grin.

A mellow September day up here.

proxy.php

is that early or late September?

That photo was during an early winter.

Typical first snow is 2nd 3rd week of Sept but I've seen it snow in August.

I noticed on our walk yesterday that the sugar maples are starting to turn and there are already sap collection tubes running between them.

However, as I got older, humidity began to really bother me. Hence, Carolina coast or Oxford MS or Blacksburg VA or Carboro NC etc were considered and rejected.

I don't consider Blacksburg to be that hot and humid (compared to Carrboro anyway) but you may want to think about the Boone area. It is 1000 ft higher than Blacksburg and the summers are milder. But Blacksburg didn't even make it to 90 this summer.
You can buy a house 45 minutes west of Blacksburg for less than $100,000. Boone...not a chance.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
That photo was during an early winter.

Typical first snow is 2nd 3rd week of Sept but I've seen it snow in August.

I noticed on our walk yesterday that the sugar maples are starting to turn and there are already sap collection tubes running between them.

My wife lived in East Carthage, NY and laughed when she saw the photo...

My wife lived in East Carthage, NY and laughed when she saw the photo...

I've been told that the drifts cover both cabins at times.

We stayed until mid February one year and it looked like a tunnel through a mountain of snow from the house to the wood storage shed. This was "pre-digial" film times so no readily available photos to show.

proxy.php

Top Bottom