What's new

Retirement Towns

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are towns where if you grew up ten miles away...you will be an outsider your whole life, no matter what.
That is one reason why I will probably always be a city dweller (that and proximity to good hospitals). Cities seem to attract people from all over. That does make for a better food scene, too.

Yep, those are two big reasons for planning the move. I recently finished a M.Ed program and am now working on a M.IT program in preparation of retirement. My wife thought I might actually retire when I finished my current work, but I am just not made that way. The plan is to teach technology courses when I move, instead of designing and troubleshooting networks.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

And do you ever think we get tired of hearing it? Imagine if I worked South of the Mason-Dixon line and was adamant on expressing my urge to leave on a daily basis. There wouldn't be enough Southern hospitality in the whole place to tolerate such nonsense.

And do you ever think we get tired of hearing it? Imagine if I worked South of the Mason-Dixon line and was adamant on expressing my urge to leave on a daily basis. There wouldn't be enough Southern hospitality in the whole place to tolerate such nonsense.
Well, if it makes a difference, I am not a native New Yorker. Perhaps if I lived here my entire life I would have a different view.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

While tempting, I’m not sure I want to return. I am not one of “them”- I would be an outsider

If you move to a college town, almost everyone is an outsider because so many people transition every year. The first Sunday after Move-in is always a mystery at church.

One of the complaints I constantly heard when I lived in Florida about New Yorkers (NYC and area). They retire from NYC and move to FL to escape taxes, regulations, bureaucracy, etc. They moved to towns such as Delray Beach where I lived and within a few years they make up a significant amount of voters. What do they do? Vote in politicians who immediately increase taxes and regulations. The old-timers shake their collective heads in disbelief.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Sooner born and Sooner bred; and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead. Wouldn't think of living anywhere else, then where I was born, raised, married and then, raised my own. And now, getting to watch them, doing the same and raising theirs.

There are many places and things, I want to travel to see and visit. But,

"There is no place like home." - Dorothy & Toto

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One of the complaints I constantly heard when I lived in Florida about New Yorkers (NYC and area). They retire from NYC and move to FL to escape taxes, regulations, bureaucracy, etc. They moved to towns such as Delray Beach where I lived and within a few years they make up a significant amount of voters. What do they do? Vote in politicians who immediately increase taxes and regulations. The old-timers shake their collective heads in disbelief.
If that were not true, it would be hysterical.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If you move to a college town, almost everyone is an outsider because so many people transition every year. The first Sunday after Move-in is always a mystery at church.
Of course, the college towns are more expensive to live in. However, with all the young blood, it keeps things fresh. I try not to be too much of an old fart :)

A lot of my friends formerly resident in Thailand have settled in Vietnam and Cambodia. Better health care options in VN, life generally more relaxed in Cambodia. Personally I like Danang except in typhoon season.
Thailand is ranked 47th by the WHO for healthcare and Vietnam 160th. I haven’t been to Vietnam so have no personal experience of their healthcare system but if those rankings are even vaguely accurate, I can’t see how there could be better healthcare options in Vietnam? :001_unsur

I’m not sure I could recommend living here though, or anywhere else in SEA for that matter. I think if you have the money, there are a lot nicer places to live. I spent all my money on wine, women and song, and razors, so I have no choice: I have to stay here now and make the most of it. :)

Last edited:
On the East Coast it would have to be Ashville N.C. or Boone, N.C.

Otherwise , it would have to be near the West Coast. No humidity for me. :)

It's always a tough decision. Big popular cities mean high housing prices and high property taxes that are always going up. Smaller, less popular areas, usually mean lower prices but higher crime and/or nothing to do.

More sunshine and less rain usually means a lot of snow in the winter or a very hot summer. I live in Seattle, like it in general but could do with more sunshine and I would like to have lower property taxes.

Better health care in VN than Cambodia was the point.
Thailand is ranked 47th by the WHO for healthcare and Vietnam 160th. I haven’t been to Vietnam so have no personal experience of their healthcare system but if those rankings are even vaguely accurate, I can’t see how there could be better healthcare options in Vietnam? :001_unsur

I’m not sure I could recommend living here though, or anywhere else in SEA for that matter. I think if you have the money, there are a lot nicer places to live. I spent all my money on wine, women and song, and razors, so I have no choice: I have to stay here now and make the most of it. :)

I'll have to look at those rankings. Thailand's health care system has always impressed me .

Looking back, the OP's aversion to humidity leaves out SE Asia at the get go.
Yeah, I’m not mad keen on the humidity myself. I seem to spend most of my life in air conditioned spaces. House to car to shopping mall to car and back home again. The weather in the UK isn’t the best (shocking news I know!) but I could enjoy a leisurely stroll around town when I was there, stopping off for a coffee here, something to eat there, browsing in a bookshop and walking by the river. Walk five minutes anywhere here and your clothes are sticking to you.

I think that anybody who is considering a move overseas, whether for work, retirement or pleasure, should seriously think about what they have now and whether they will enjoy living in a country that they will probably never truly be able to call home. Some people can adapt easily to foreign climes while others feel like a fish out of water. I’m somewhere in the middle I think but I do have my off days.

Hope you’re happy in your neck of the woods. :)

Suburban Los Angeles is my neck of the woods 10 months of the year...I'd go nuts were it not for being able to travel the other two.
Yeah, I’m not mad keen on the humidity myself. I seem to spend most of my life in air conditioned spaces. House to car to shopping mall to car and back home again. The weather in the UK isn’t the best (shocking news I know!) but I could enjoy a leisurely stroll around town when I was there, stopping off for a coffee here, something to eat there, browsing in a bookshop and walking by the river. Walk five minutes anywhere here and your clothes are sticking to you.

I think that anybody who is considering a move overseas, whether for work, retirement or pleasure, should seriously think about what they have now and whether they will enjoy living in a country that they will probably never truly be able to call home. Some people can adapt easily to foreign climes while others feel like a fish out of water. I’m somewhere in the middle I think but I do have my off days.

Hope you’re happy in your neck of the woods. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Mid Michigan. All 4 seasons. Sometimes all in one day...... My home is Heaven. I'm just visiting here, but as long as I'm here, I'll keep my residence here, until the War Department makes me move. She has her eyes and heart set on Knoxville, TN area. I just wouldn't be truly happy if I couldn't complain about the weather daily here in MI.

I've lived right where I'm sitting my entire life. My dad and mom built this place before I was born. I've been all over the place, but this is my place. It's funny: my dad moved here from Detroit in 1956, died here in 2005, got more votes than anyone before or since him for any local office in 1976, but was ALWAYS an outsider for as long as he was alive. I on the other hand have always been an insider, by right of geography, lol. Small towns are strange.... I really do need to write that book I've been threatening to. And since my cardiologist just yesterday again told me I'm disabled (the punk) I suppose there is no time like the present.

Farmer Tan, every time I get stuck in a traffic jam on I-94 by Detroit Metro or Hines Drive floods, or i hit another pothole in SE MI, I think about retiring someplace else. In our own beloved state there are so many cool beach towns from Saugatuck to Traverse to East Tawas, for example. Of course, that lake effect snow would be a killer in January! Big time.

Top Bottom