What's new

Results of my 1st blade trial (Of course YMMV)

I've completed my 1st Blade Trail here is my ranking and review. I used each blade for 1 week's worth of shaves. That is 5 or 6 shaves.

I used a Edwin Jagger DEL8914BL, Proraso Red cream with NOW Solutions Vegetable Glycerin and occasionally Taylor of Old Bond Street Cedarwood cream. My brush was the Parker Silver Tip Badger and starting the last week of the Derby trail, I used a RazoRock Plissoft Disruptor Synthetic Shaving Brush - 22mm in rotation with the Parker.
I have added a Simpson Duke 3 in Pure Badger to the brush rotation, starting in week 3.
Proraso Blue Aloe and Vitamin E shaving cream added to rotation in week 6.
Clay Dog Designs Scuttle added in week 11.
RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush Bruce Handle added in week 13.
Satin Tip The Purest Black Luxury Synthetic Shaving Brush added in week 16.

Ranking of Blades Tested:
1. Feather New Hi-Stainless
2. Personna Med Prep / Lab Blue
3. Astra Superior Platinum
4. Gillette Silver Blue
5. Gillette Platinum
6. Crystal
7. Voskhod Teflon Coated
8. Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
9. Rapira Super Stainless
10. Astra Superior Stainless
11. Wilkinson Sword Classic
12. Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)
13. Dorco Prime Platinum
14. Dorco Platinum ST300
15. Dorco ST301 Platinum
16. Derby Extra
17. Personna Platinum (Israeli Red)
18. Shark Super Super Stainless
19. Shark Super Chrome
20. 7AM Plus Hi Platinum Durablade

My review of the blades in the order I used them.

Derby Extra

I used these for my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 5 weeks of DE Shaving. Found them to be very forgiving. I was able to go nick free for the last 2 weeks on them and got CCS to almost DFS over my entire face. Requires a lot of buffing/touch up on chin and neck however.

Shark Super Chrome
I would say these blades are a little sharper than the Dreby's but they pulled a lot more also. Shave lasted a little longer with this blade. Pretty much DFS every time. Had some weepers using this blade.

Shark Super Stainless
These blades pull also but I got a better shave than the Super Chromes overall. However shave lasted a shorter time with this blade. I would say this was a DFS shave. No nicks, weepers, or irritation.

Dorco Platinum ST300
So far these are the best blades that I've used. Very smooth with no pulling at all even after 6 shaves. I got one of the best shaves I've had on the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] shave actually. I will be ordering some ST301's and Prime Platinum's to compare. About the closest I've been to BBS shave so far.

7AM Plus Hi Platinum Durablade

This isn't the worst blade I've used, but I don't really like it. It is not smooth at all. I'm getting good shaves, but a lot of touch up is required to do so. I rank these blades below the Derby's because I just don't like the way they feel when I'm shaving. No razor burn and I'm surprised by that! They kinda started to pull after the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] or 4[SUP]th[/SUP] shave. Without the touch up almost a DFS, more like a CCS though.

Personna Platinum (Israeli Red)
The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] 4 shaves I got weepers. The blade is smooth enough but it took considerable touching up on lower lip and on mid neck below the jaw areas. No razor burn and I did get weeper free shave the last 2 times. I'm ranking this blade just below the Derby.

Dorco ST301 Platinum
I got pretty good shaves with this blade. Not as smooth as the ST300's but the end result shave was good. Took a little touching up on chin and upper neck. I'm ranking these just below the ST300's.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green)
This has been the smoothest blade I have used so far. I got good nick free and irritation free shaves. With touch ups I was very closed to BBS. I would say a 3 pass shave with no touch up gives an acceptable DFS. The blade did start to pull just a little on the last shave, which was #6.

Dorco Prime Platinum
I like this blade. It is not as smooth as the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (Green) unless you get the angle just right. I got good DFS and DFS+ shaves with normal touch up.

Personna Barber/Stainless Comfort Coated
This is the smoothest blade I've used yet! Isn't as finicky about the angle as the Dorco Prime Platinum. I got good DFS++ shaves with this blade. Minimal touch up required. It is my favorite so far.

Wilkinson Sword Classic
Very smooth and sharp! I'm getting the best shaves yet. Smoother than the Personna Barber. This is the sharpest smoothest blade I've used yet! I got really good DFS+++ shave bordering on BBS every shave with very little touch up required.

Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow)
BBS Shaves achieved with this blade. Very sharp, super smooth, started pulling just a little on the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] shave and still got a DFS+++ shave with it. Not real fussy about the angle. Little to no touch up required and very little if any alum block sting.

Crystal
After the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] shave I didn't think I was going to like this blade all that well. It actually jumped on my face when I got the angle wrong, too seep I think. Still got a DFS+++ shave. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] shave was much better. This blade is not as smooth as the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge but it is sharper. Every shave was BBS or DFS+++. The shaves were almost effortless. Almost no touch ups required.

Gillette Platinum
This blade is both smooth and sharp. I've gotten the most effortless shaves that I've had since I started DE shaving. All shaves were DNBBS (Damn Near Baby Butt Smooth) shaves or BBS. I started using a scuttle with this blade so the last shave I went back to just the lather bowl and noticed no difference in quality of shave, but did get a few ingrown hairs. That was the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] shave on this blade.

Astra Superior Platinum
I like this blade! Smooth and sharp, almost effortless shaves. Honestly I could stop with a 2 pass shave easily DFS. 3 passes with no touch up hardly at all yielded a BBS every time! I understand why this is a top rated blade almost every time time I see it mentioned.

Astra Superior Stainless
I don't really like this blade. It's not where near as smooth as the Astra Superior Platinum and takes a lot more effort to get a DFS shave, which most were. Way more touch up than what I've had to do with the last 4 blades to get a BBS. This blade is sharp I got weepers on 3 out of 5 shaves.

Rapira Super Stainless
I'm not too excited about this blade. I did get BBS shaves with it but man did it take some doing! This blade is not as sharp as what I've become accustomed to. I guess you could call it smooth, but just barley. Started to pull on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] shave. I flipped the blade over in the razor on the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] and it was better, but still pulled.

Voskhod Teflon Coated
Due to circumstances I gave this blade a 2 blade 2 week trial. This blade is sharp, not the smoothest that I've used, but I do like it. I do have some issues with the trouble spots with this blade. More touch up is required to get a BBS. For that reason I'm ranking it lower on my list. If not for that it would be in the top 3.

Gillette Silver Blue
I like this blade, its sharp, got a few nicks and one of the largest cuts I've had since I started this journey, but it was my fault not the blades. This blade is smooth too. Hardly any noticeable pulling even on the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] shave. I got good BBS shaves with it, but had some minor razor burn and ingrown whiskers. Took very little touch up. I see why so many DE shavers like this blade.

Personna Med Prep / Lab Blue
I love this blade! It's sharp and smooth (once you learn the correct angle). The last 2 shaves with this blade were the best I've had. BBS every time! Sliced through my two day growth beard with no pull at all.

Feather New Hi-Stainless
All that I've heard about these blades is correct. They are the sharpest and least forgiving that I've used. If used properly they are smooth! I've gotten the best shaves that I have had since I started DE shaving 25 weeks ago! Shaves 4 and 5 required only 2 passes on cheeks and a touch up on neck to get BBS. On shave 6 I had to do 3 passes. I'm almost able to skip a day shaving. BBS Shave every time. Very little to no touchup.

Thanks for the fine review on these blades. You have almost all the best blades listed & I have shaved with over half of them. I think Dorco has stepped up their game & have got way better. The Dorco ST300 gave me X11 great shaves so, unless things change I have no complaints about them. Astra SP & GSB are also great blades for me. Razor used, beard type, blade used & beard prep all come into play when shaving. Soak that beard like you have swimmed the English channel twice. :w00t:

Great review! I still have a tuck of Feathers I've yet to try out. I'm looking forward to trying them in the 6S. :)

I enjoyed your review very much. You took a great amount of time and provided an awesome amount of detail that I'm sure many people will find informative and useful in the future.

Your review made me give a second look at my Dorco blades. I'll try them one of these days. Thanks for your insight man.

Well done, great reviews, and definitely YMMV. Some match my experience and some are very different. Good that you used the same razor throughout since the razor will either hide or showcase some of the blades more pronounced characteristics.

Thanks [MENTION=32026]stevedi[/MENTION] [MENTION=109827]SirChangalot[/MENTION] [MENTION=111667]_steve_[/MENTION] [MENTION=108046]1Vader[/MENTION] [MENTION=108524]Grundi[/MENTION]

It was a learning experience. I have recently acquired a few more that I'll be testing in the near future. Going to move on to soaps and creams for a while now.

Wow... your results are almost identical to mine in ranks and order tested. I tried a few in different order but still very close.
I ordered 20 different brands from tryablade.com when starting out and then won the weekly blade pif for lurkers so the sheer number of blades and then switching razors around I kind of gave up on it as it became too much to track. Nicely done to keep it consistent!

Top Bottom