What's new

Restoring the Filarmonica 13

this will be a running thread until completed.

seller pic:

FDT13FOUR.png

what it looks like after a little cleanup.

20200706_160834.jpg

20200706_155800.jpg

more to follow.

camo

I thought about not taking it apart and cleaning just what I could.

I'm glad I unpinned it.

just in case you guys want to know.....this is what lurks beneath at the pivot.

20200708_182820.jpg

tonights goal buff and clean shank more. im taking my time with this. waiting on special nickle collars. thinking about ordering a 12k kuromaku friday too.

black enamel missing from most lettering. thinking about using a gunsmith trick. clean with alcohol and do an enamel wipe to fill in the lettering on both sides.

be well all.

camo

I thought about not taking it apart and cleaning just what I could.

I'm glad I unpinned it.

just in case you guys want to know.....this is what lurks beneath at the pivot.

View attachment 1123273

tonights goal buff and clean shank more. im taking my time with this. waiting on special nickle collars. thinking about ordering a 12k kuromaku friday too.

black enamel missing from most lettering. thinking about using a gunsmith trick. clean with alcohol and do an enamel wipe to fill in the lettering on both sides.

be well all.

camo

cleaner.

cleaned the jimps too. soft dremel and brass wire brush.....

20200708_184446.jpg

same rule that applies to guns.....use softer metal than what your working with.

much better now

20200708_185610.jpg

20200708_185626.jpg

gotta go cook Korean beef with bok choy now.

camo

Very nice work.

thanks....

there was a trade off that I debated and took.

I lightly hit the gold area on the label. pic doesn't show it.....but while the gold was there it was faded and drifted to cover most of the lettering.

the gold is a lot less now....but I can see the lettering and harp without putting my readers on. for that matter...... I can now see past "Filarmon........" which was all that was visible before with any kind of magnifiaction!!!!

might be blasphemy.....and was a tough call. with this said I dont regret it.

camo

and I see where your guy's hearts are.........

think I've got more of a reaction from last nights dinner!!!!

you can find some discussion about this dish over in the "mess hall." the original recipe usually calls for ground beef. I picked up almost 2lbs. of Round and sliced pieces paper thin to keep it tender.

good stuff....unfortunately had no left overs for lunch today!!!

camo

no progress tonight. attempted the paint. believe the depth of the lettering is too shallow for the quick and easy method.

had to clean her back up.

20200709_174002.jpg

so basically waiting for the special nickle collars to arrive from "old school razors."

my brass ones arrived today......but would like to keep the original color scheme. so I must wait patiently.

camo

camo, a too quick glance at that photo had me suprised & sad for a hot second... the qtip buds against the paper towel background made me think the blade was missing chunks and toast...

nice job so far.. is the quick method of painting, add paint, wait and wipe? if so, whats the not quick method? tiny brushes?

camo, a too quick glance at that photo had me suprised & sad for a hot second... the qtip buds against the paper towel background made me think the blade was missing chunks and toast...

nice job so far.. is the quick method of painting, add paint, wait and wipe? if so, whats the not quick method? tiny brushes?

gun owners (especially AR 15) use actual fingernail polish.......coat entire area with glob......let dry for one hour.......then wipe with non-acetone remover. this leaves the paint in the lettering. I've seen some nice glock work by this method too.

last night i had only the wife's acetone remover......I'll be on the hunt for non acetone remover and give it a fair shot this weekend.

man that will look real manly. refined gent scouring the womens care section for non-acetone!!!!! madness compels me to do this. lol.

and I need to quit misspelling Nickel......

camo

Last edited:
the collars i ordered look like this. the closest I believe to an OEM look of older razors.

20200706_202837.jpg

an actual raised double walled punched collar instead of just a washer.

camo

nickel collars arrived today!!!!!! which means I get to re pin her tonight. unpinned the wedge.

20200710_163525.jpg

now I had heard rumors and tales of special pins, etc on the Filly wedge end. what I found was nothing spectacular. looks like remnants old glue...........

and If you look closely, you will see two white pins or nubs on the wedge that fit into the non show side scale.

20200710_164510.jpg

so I'm thinking clean up wedge.....use a basic glue (hell maybe even elmers) to replace long enough for me to set the new pin and collar.

I wanted both the wedge pin and pivot work to match.....it obviously would have been easier to leave the wedge end be as is......but there's no fun in that!!!!

camo

man im speechless......

these are completely awesome. the stock pin was off by .45 thousands so I had to do extra work and make adjustments.

20200710_183844.jpg

once again the porter cable #5 high polish works its magic. the collars were dulled prior.

pretty........

20200710_183946.jpg

it's hard even with select focus to capture how shiny these are now. used rtv silicone long enough for me to set the wedge pin.

gotta go get dinner with the wife right now. pivot work later hopefully.

my shapton kuromaku 12k arrives tommorow too.......its quite possible i could shave with her by Sunday.

oh yeah crazy short snip in length to get this look. barely cleared top of collar. peening must flatten both some.....or the pressure as it joins the pieces together????

nickel collars!!!!

camo

Last edited:
Top Bottom