What's new

Restored Brushes

I like viewing all the different restored brushes. Show off your fine work. I'll start by posting my first resto and definitely not my last.

+1 I agree, show us your stuff

What's the knot size on the delong?

The seller from EBay said it is a 2cm (20mm) knot. I think its more along the lines of a 22mm. But I am not sure how to accurately measure the knot size.

As a comparison between the GoldenNib knot and the Delong, the GN knot is considerably softer and denser.

Last edited:
Love the VDH handle. I used one of those myself to make a 26 mm finest for my wife. She loves is. I did have to boar out the hole just a little to make it fit. Link to the pictures.

How do you get the old knot out??

That was the hardest part for me. Drilling, prying with knifes, screwdrivers, whatever. Then on a trip to the PX i picked up a Dremel sanding kit, this helped finished it off. I personally am looking for the perfect method tp remove the knots. I read on another thread that hot, hot water will loosen the knot and you can torque it out but ONLY USE THIS METHOD ON SOLID HANDLES.

Also I am wondering now if I shold have used a 24mm knot. There was a small gap with the 22mm.

Last edited:
Has anyone found a decent tutorial on turning your own brush handles? I was considering the idea of turning my own handle and making my own brush.

I now wish I had not gotten rid of my cheap VDH brush, as I would have done this once I saw this thread!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
That was the hardest part for me. Drilling, prying with knifes, screwdrivers, whatever. Then on a trip to the PX i picked up a Dremel sanding kit, this helped finished it off. I personally am looking for the perfect method tp remove the knots. I read on another thread that hot, hot water will loosen the knot and you can torque it out but ONLY USE THIS METHOD ON SOLID HANDLES.

Also I am wondering now if I shold have used a 24mm knot. There was a small gap with the 22mm.

I cut off as much hair as I can with a pair of scissors, then using a box cutter or utility knife and cut through the remnants cross-wise and scrape as much out as I can. The I hold the handle in a drill press vise with some padding to protect the handle and keep from spinning and carefully drill out the residual stuff. I go here very slowly and use several increasingly larger bits until I reach a Forstner bit that matches about the inside. The I use a small sanding drum (actually a micro sanding drum from a dremel) in a handheld drill to remove any rest of the glue. take your time and don't rush through it.

I cut off as much hair as I can with a pair of scissors, then using a box cutter or utility knife and cut through the remnants cross-wise and scrape as much out as I can. The I hold the handle in a drill press vise with some padding to protect the handle and keep from spinning and carefully drill out the residual stuff. I go here very slowly and use several increasingly larger bits until I reach a Forstner bit that matches about the inside. The I use a small sanding drum (actually a micro sanding drum from a dremel) in a handheld drill to remove any rest of the glue. take your time and don't rush through it.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to check those drill bits out.

Here are a few I've done.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

I've recently found my dad's old Belgian Army shaving brush, and even though it's still in fine condition, the knot is just bad quality and I couldn't get any decent lather out of it compared to my badger brush. So, I'm thinking about replacing the knot, but drilling out the old one seems quite hard to me without a dremel? (I do have a good drill press, if that would help?)

Still have to ask my dad about drilling out his old brush though :biggrin:

Edit: Crappy cellphone picture, next to my EJ Best Badger:
http://i26.tinypic.com/35isriu.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom