What's new

Respect (or is it really fear?)

I know respect always must be given considering it's a razor blade after all, but does any one have a degree of fear of your DE razor? Well, I do, in a way. Twice in recent memory (within the last year) I managed to cut myself by simply putting my razor against my face. No pressure. Just putting it on the cheek to initiate a stroke. It was the damnedest thing. NEVER in 40+ years of shaving has that happened. Now the thought of it is pretty much always there. I can see if I had done something stupid or careless, which I have done before (I actually don't specifically remember, I'm just admitting it for the sake of argument), but I didn't. That's probably whi it sticks out in my mind. I haven't cut myself in recent memory, only a nick here and there, and I've had really great shaves of late - 3 passes (could have stopped at 2) with just about no touchups. Go figure

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have genuine fear of "safety" razors. It may be an irrational fear, but it is still a genuine fear.

I have very occasionally shaved with a DE razor over the past couple of years. I have never drawn blood but I am still extremely fearful of them. I can't see the edge on my skin. Straight razors present no fear for me.

I put this down to sitting on a Gem razor when I was a little boy. I still have the scare on my right buttock.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
One thing I learned with straight razors, and especially with my Feather AC DX is that hesitancy will cause you to cut yourself. I never place the blade against my skin prior to the stroke, but instead the blade is already moving when it touches my skin and keeps moving for the duration of the stroke. I use the same principle with DE shaving but in that case it is far less critical I think. For me it is important to be confident but not over confident; you will soon know if you are over confident 😂

I think there is an element of fear, which leads to understanding and respect.

It's like working with electricity. Initially you are fearful until you understand that with proper knowledge and safeguards there is nothing to fear. At that point, complacency is the enemy and can lead to injury.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Respect. I uses a SR and I make sure I’m awake, prepared, present and on point. When these things align, I have nothing to fear. Respect.

In my experience initially there is fear of the unknown, as a newbie one isn't quite sure how bad you can cut yourself. After a while you learn that while you can cut yourself it probably isn't going to be too bad unless your are being really careless and don't respect the razor. As technique improves fear is pretty much gone but respect should hopefully continue to grow. Like most good relationships, having respect is and will always be important.

I have only ever cut myself with a DE when I was not paying attention, or rushing, or otherwise not fully present. I consider it a reminder to use the time mindfully.

I have recently taken up straight razor shaving, and I am fully present for that, but I still manage to cut myself as I try to work out angles and holds. I consider that the price for (late) middle-aged folly... :p

Ah yes, the dreaded inadvertent sideways slip of the razor head.

Or the forgotten blemish.

Or the application of too much pressure.

Or the unaccounted-for curvature/sag of the skin.

(Not that I've thought about it much. :concern:)

Top Bottom