What's new

Replate a brass razor

Is there any chance to replate a brass razor? I don't like the gold color, and the smell of it, so I'm considering a replate, but I don't know if it's possible...

Any tip?

I have 4 razors replated by Chris Spencer @ Back Roads Gold: 2 in mirror nickel, one in silver and one in 24K hardened gold. All four are amazingly well done. Perfect finishes... You could check out a thread here dedicated to his work: The BRGAS (Back Roads Gold Appreciation Society) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-brgas-back-roads-gold-appreciation-society.625165/
Terrific job there!

What about the smell of brass plate? Can I get rid of it? :laugh:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Terrific job there!

I'm the wrong guy to comment about smells. I have a poor sense of smell.

My Overlander started out as a brass razor with a matte finish but I bought it used and had the seller ship to Chris right off the bat so I've only seen it in his beautiful 24K hardened gold finish.

Yeah, I know that I'm a little late to the party on this.
Did anyone figure out a way to mask that horrid brass smell? I have a wonderful Karve razor that I had to stop using years ago because of that smell.

Did anyone figure out a way to mask that horrid brass smell? I have a wonderful Karve razor that I had to stop using years ago because of that smell.
Looks like the rodium or nickel plate could mask it.

Looks like the rodium or nickel plate could mask it.
Seems like a lot of expense to go though. If the razor is vintage you wouldn't want to do that. If the razor is new it would have to be the Excalibur of razors to warrant the $$$. Might as well just toss it to someone or into a box until we are old enough for our noses not to work really well.

I don't know what could be the price overseas, but here in Portugal, one friend of mine just replated with nickel a Gillette Flat Bottom Tech for something like $15.

I don't know what could be the price overseas, but here in Portugal, one friend of mine just replated with nickel a Gillette Flat Bottom Tech for something like $15.
I don't know how current this is but these prices here in the States seems about right.

Seems like a lot of expense to go though. If the razor is vintage you wouldn't want to do that. If the razor is new it would have to be the Excalibur of razors to warrant the $$$. Might as well just toss it to someone or into a box until we are old enough for our noses not to work really well.
Unless the razor is in Excellent/NOS condition, there is no reason not to (re-)plate. Razors are more like cars in that respect versus fabrics, some coins, etc.. You don't pay mega $$$$$ for the rusted out shell of a '64 Austin Martin, you do for a competent restore.

lasta

Blade Biter

I've had 5 of my razors DIY plated in silver. As far as I can tell no smell, and they look better too!

Look up electroless silver plating. I think Nushine is available in the US for not much money.

10 seconds dip and brass turns into silver.

I've had 5 of my razors DIY plated in silver. As far as I can tell no smell, and they look better too!

Look up electroless silver plating. I think Nushine is available in the US for not much money.

10 seconds dip and brass turns into silver.
Thanks. I'll look into that.. Maybe I can breathe some life into the Karve.

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks. I'll look into that.. Maybe I can breathe some life into the Karve.
Quite a bit of work involved, but I'd suggest polishing your razor before plating. Matte silver doesn't look so good IMO. That's why places like Razor Emporium and BRG exist haha.

To be honest, non-polished razors don't look good period.

The smell produced when handling brass and copper metal is actually produced by the breakdown of skin oils and sweat in the presence of that metal. The metal doesn't produce that smell on its own. Plating with other metals such as nickel, chromium, etc. should prevent it. Musical instruments made of brass are often coated with lacquer to prevent tarnish, but it also should prevent the smell.

Quite a bit of work involved, but I'd suggest polishing your razor before plating. Matte silver doesn't look so good IMO. That's why places like Razor Emporium and BRG exist haha.

To be honest, non-polished razors don't look good period.
No real work. I'll just through it into the vibratory tumbler with extra fine walnut.

I broke out the Karve last night and polished it up (by hand) for use this morning. I thought maybe with some hands on loving with the polish that it might rekindle the romance. I shaved with it this morning. I used the OC E plate. That is the most aggressive plate I own. Granted, I really should be using an F or G, but I just don't have them. I used a grapefruit Taylor of Old Bond Street cream to help cut down the smell that I remembered. It's just not worth any more money invested in this razor. For me the smell is bad but also the shave is not great. I think the best razors are ones that we come to a compromise on individual technique and the razors natural mechanical requirements, e.g. weight, angle of attack, holding the handle, etc. It's just not the razor for me even if I was able to eliminate the smell via plating.

I broke out the Karve last night and polished it up (by hand) for use this morning. I thought maybe with some hands on loving with the polish that it might rekindle the romance. I shaved with it this morning. I used the OC E plate. That is the most aggressive plate I own. Granted, I really should be using an F or G, but I just don't have them. I used a grapefruit Taylor of Old Bond Street cream to help cut down the smell that I remembered. It's just not worth any more money invested in this razor. For me the smell is bad but also the shave is not great. I think the best razors are ones that we come to a compromise on individual technique and the razors natural mechanical requirements, e.g. weight, angle of attack, holding the handle, etc. It's just not the razor for me even if I was able to eliminate the smell via plating.

Do you have photos of that?

Photos of what? The polished Karve?
Yes...

I've used the Overlander and felt in love with it after the very first shave.
I didn't find it tricky to shave with, and was surprised about the combo between smoothness and efficiency.
I got the idea that the Overlander is one of those razors which can be usec with closed eyes, and still having a great shave without nicks, irritation whatsoever.

Top Bottom