What's new

Replacing my Chubby 2 Super

How long have you had it for? I'd talk to Mark at Simpsons if I were you. Their customer service is superb. It's not unlikely that he'd send you out a free replacement. It's certainly worth the email /call.
Thanks. I contacted vulfix customer support. Based on reading past experiences or users dealing with them I am not thinking they can do much. I probably won't bother with Simpsons products again.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Given you want less splay than a Chubby in Super, probably something in 2 Band. Maybe customize a Shavemac to you specs, or go a little higher with your budget and get a Chubby 2 in Manchurian.

I absolutely second this!! I've had my Shavemac D01 Silvertip for 8 months now and if it lost 5 hairs since then, I'd be surprised.... Its a great brush that doesn't bloom out like crazy and just feels right. At the price point you're looking at I can definitely recommend having a close look at them. Also... If wanted, they do custom adjustments to give you the brush you desire!! Not all higher-end Brush Makers will offer that. Plus they really do make their Knots by hand...

+1. I have a D01 silvertip in a LoveYourShave handle and it is outstanding. 28mm, with only about 52mm loft, mad density, great backbone, and nice soft tips.

Great brush!! My favorite... I also like the fact that it doesn't bloom out like crazy. It actually holds its shape nicely...alongside the above mentioned perks ;-)

Vulfix responded to me saying they would look at my brush to see if there are manufacturing issues, and if so give me a new one. Do you think it is worth the hassle to ship it back?

Vulfix responded to me saying they would look at my brush to see if there are manufacturing issues, and if so give me a new one. Do you think it is worth the hassle to ship it back?

Absolutely! I'm sure they will take care of it for you based on everything I've read about them.

Would you consider a Synthetic?

I've been wanting the Chubby 2 synthetic ever since I found out about it. AFAIK, Simpson direct from the factory is the only source.

The current exchange rate makes it quite a bargain. About $115 shipped last time I looked, and that includes the optional oversized travel tube.

The Fine STOUT is also an amazing synthetic brush. Slightly smaller than a Chubby 2, but the designer hit it spot on when picking the knot size and setting the loft. It's very soft but still has a decent amount of backbone.

Wouldn't that be a "downgrade"?

I have both the Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 in both best and super badger. I don't think I could honestly tell the difference if I were blindfolded. The Simpson best is very good indeed.

What would be the benefit of synthetic?

Some say you can use less soap. I am using the same amount of soap with my synth as I do with badgers. Most feel they can whip up the lather faster. I think I would agree, but it isn't that much of a difference. Most synthetics are much more affordable, $10-$20, but there are some expensive ones out there from Muhle and Simpson. The affordable ones from Maggard and Razorock are very good. Synthetics definitely dry a lot faster. I would say it is worth trying one if you haven't already. If you like the way it feels, you will win on price and drying speed, and possibly on the time it takes to create the lather. If, like me, you prefer the feel of badger, I think the only significant drawback to them is the higher price and the slow drying.

Top Bottom