What's new

Replacement for my VDH

Ok, I want some advice and I will try and follow Doc4's advice on posting:

1. I currently am using on of the VDH boar brushes that came with a bowl and soap. I was given a cheap black badger brush by SWMBO (she's would have gotten a nicer one, but it was just a stocking stuffer of sorts). I love the heavier ivory resin handle it has, but it irritates my face. I also have an old Burma-shave that sheds if you look at it wrong.

2. I am still learning, so my technique could change at any time. But for right now I bowl lather creams. I have some soaps and would be fine with using them all the time if I could get the lathering down.

3. I am looking at boar for the sake of cost more than anything. I don't mind the feel of my VDH Boar, and could possibly tolerate one even more stout. I am just hoping to find something that lathers better and doesn't shed. This may be my only real go-to brush for a while so I would like it to be balanced enough to handle most soaps and creams. I am steering away from cheap badger since that black badger I have lights my face up. The cost of a good badger just probably isn't an option right now.

4. As far a looks go I can be very picky, but beggars can't be choosers. I tend to like the look of faux ivory as well as black, horn type handles. Again, I'll consider anything.

5. Since I am leaning towards Omega boar, I see no reason why it should cost more that $30. As far as SWMBO is concerned, the cheaper the better.:mad3:

6. Again, I want a multi use brush so I would assume a a nice medium size would be good. I have large hands so I also assume a larger type of handle might suite me better, but I'm not sure having never tried any.

7. I have been looking primarily at Omega Boar brushes. My first consideration would be the Omega Boar #49 Professional for the low cost and great ratings. The Omega 20102 Pro Boar looks much nicer and has a bigger handle, but I'm not sure it's worth twice the cost.

I thank you in advance for any advice you can give this terribly indecisive noob.:blink:

I believe any brush made by omega is a fine choice. If you can, try some omega shave creme. Made for them by proraso with lanolin and menthol, sweet!

I believe any brush made by omega is a fine choice. If you can, try some omega shave creme. Made for them by proraso with lanolin and menthol, sweet!

I have heard good things about their brushes but not much on th soap. It's the Omega Eucalyptus Shaving Soap right? For less than $6 at WCS, I just might have to sneak that into my order and hope SWMBO doesn't mind.:biggrin1:

+1 on the Omega Pro 49. This brush is a soap killer and will get your feet wet with soaps with no problem at all. This is the only brush I use.

I certainly hope my soap is thoroughly dead before before I open the tub:lol:
I assume by soap killer you mean it digs in to the puck and loads easily? If so I'm all for it.

I have an Omega 10098 and love it. It has a longer handle, which is less convenient for face lathering, but great for bowl lathering. It face lathers fine too, but is a hair awkward with the extra handle length.

Phil

I have an Omega 10098 and love it. It has a longer handle, which is less convenient for face lathering, but great for bowl lathering. It face lathers fine too, but is a hair awkward with the extra handle length.

Phil

I like the look of the 10098, as I prefer non-banded boar. I don't see the point of making something look like a badger when it's clearly not. I also like the black with a bit of chrome on that brush.

Is it fair to say that the "paintbrush" style handle was designed with bowl lathering in mind? Even more so I see this as ideal for a barbershop where you are looking at the face to be shaved instead of its reflection. Either way I might consider this brush if WCS carried it. So far I have only found it on Amazon and other affiliate sites. Not that this is all bad, I just wanted to buy a blade sampler as well and didn't want to get it stuck to me on shipping.

I like the look of the 10098, as I prefer non-banded boar. I don't see the point of making something look like a badger when it's clearly not. I also like the black with a bit of chrome on that brush.

Is it fair to say that the "paintbrush" style handle was designed with bowl lathering in mind? Even more so I see this as ideal for a barbershop where you are looking at the face to be shaved instead of its reflection. Either way I might consider this brush if WCS carried it. So far I have only found it on Amazon and other affiliate sites. Not that this is all bad, I just wanted to buy a blade sampler as well and didn't want to get it stuck to me on shipping.

I am inclined to agree this was designed for bowl or mug lathering. My new scuttle is much deeper than my lather bowl, and this brush performs very well.

Phil

Last edited:
I have a 81052 and I like it.
It does a good job on both creams and soaps.
Not quite as big as the 10049.

To confuse you even more, shoeboxshaveshop.com has a huge selection of Omega Boars.

I have a 81052 and I like it.
It does a good job on both creams and soaps.
Not quite as big as the 10049.

In your opinion, do you notice the angled sides of the handle? When I first saw these I was afraid I wouldn't like the feel of them in my hand.

To confuse you even more, shoeboxshaveshop.com has a huge selection of Omega Boars.

Oh good grief :drool: You just HAD to point me to that sight... I am one of those OCD types that often feel the need to look at every option just to make sure I don't miss that one awesome product I can't live without. You have indeed added to my confusion. And thank you.

I also have an old Burma-shave that sheds if you look at it wrong.

:lol:

5. Since I am leaning towards Omega boar, I see no reason why it should cost more that $30. As far as SWMBO is concerned, the cheaper the better.:mad3:

Remember to tell her this the next time she goes shoe shopping.

I am presently working on getting a Shavemac brush custom made. It's well outside your 30 dollar price range but it is a tool that will be hand built and last for YEARS. I think that Badger is better for creams but I hear that Boar is great for soaps. Personally, if you can afford it, I would get one of each.

Remember to tell her this the next time she goes shoe shopping.

Believe it or not, I'm the big spender in the family. She has trouble buying anything for herself that she doesn't think is necessary. Me, I think everything is necessary.:biggrin1:

Personally, if you can afford it, I would get one of each.
I definitely plan on on doing so as funds permit...oh wait, you meant one of each material..not one of each brand..ok, I can do that too.:lol::lol:

Another satisfied Omega user here. I use an 80266, which is a nice, comfortable medium size. Arrived with the tips already reasonably soft and has continued to break in nicely. Has the backbone to load soaps with ease. I got mine in a bit of horse trading, but shoebox has it for $14.50 or so and West Coast Shaving has its non-banded and non-standed cousin the 10066 for $9. Pretty hard to break the bank going that way.

I also use an Omega 21047, which is pretty small. I originally was thinking of using it as just a travel brush, but it is in my daily rotation. Soft tips, not as much backbone as the 80266, but still could be my 'desert island' brush. The 21047 is available a couple of different places and definitely won't bust your budget.

As a bonafide B&B enabler, I have to note that you could buy 2 or 3 different boars for you $30. Just in the interest of science of course... :scared:

Another satisfied Omega user here. I use an 80266, which is a nice, comfortable medium size. Arrived with the tips already reasonably soft and has continued to break in nicely. Has the backbone to load soaps with ease. I got mine in a bit of horse trading, but shoebox has it for $14.50 or so and West Coast Shaving has its non-banded and non-standed cousin the 10066 for $9.

Is your 80266 brighter white or more faux ivory? Since you said it is almost the same brush I was looking at the 10066 that WCS has and it looks to be ivory and I would much prefer this over the bleached white.

As a bonafide B&B enabler, I have to note that you could buy 2 or 3 different boars for you $30. Just in the interest of science of course... :scared:

I steer toward this logic myself, but SWMBO doesn't appreciate my "science" as much as I do.:lol::lol: Plus I best not push my luck as I blew out one of my rather expensive tires yesterday.:blink:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Unless you shave before an audience, it probably doesn't much matter what your brush looks like. It doesn't to me, anyway. Nobody else is watching.

My everyday brush currently is a black badger from Star Shaving Supply, bought on the bay, and I am sure it was less than $10. I also have a couple of VDH boars that are just starting to get broken in good. I kind of like the scrubby feel of a boar. Why not stick with the VDH and let it get broken in? It really takes about 50 shaves to notice a difference.

Interesting that the badger irritates you and the boar doesn't. It could be that you are allergic to badger but not boar bristles... I guess. I have never heard of that problem before. But what I am getting at is that if it irritates you, then you probably don't want another badger.

Unless you shave before an audience, it probably doesn't much matter what your brush looks like. It doesn't to me, anyway. Nobody else is watching.

Indeed, but for me and I would guess many men, at least a small part of the enjoyment of traditional wetshaving is the "look" of the items. The sight of these items on my bathroom counter is much nicer than the cheap plastic and tin cans of modern shaving.

My everyday brush currently is a black badger from Star Shaving Supply, bought on the bay, and I am sure it was less than $10. I also have a couple of VDH boars that are just starting to get broken in good. I kind of like the scrubby feel of a boar. Why not stick with the VDH and let it get broken in? It really takes about 50 shaves to notice a difference.

I had no idea it could take that long to break in a brush. Either way I am having difficulty getting started with hard soap lathering. I know that no brush is magic, but i'm sure it would be easier with better quality tools. Also, if it does take some time to break in a brush, why not invest my time into one that is a bit better made?

Interesting that the badger irritates you and the boar doesn't. It could be that you are allergic to badger but not boar bristles... I guess. I have never heard of that problem before. But what I am getting at is that if it irritates you, then you probably don't want another badger.

I think I may have nearly the exact same badger brush you do. And I was confused at first that badger would irritate my skin and not boar, then I found this post: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=182006
I have found other posts mentioning this also and it seems to make sense.

Is your 80266 brighter white or more faux ivory? Since you said it is almost the same brush I was looking at the 10066 that WCS has and it looks to be ivory and I would much prefer this over the bleached white.<snippage>

Er, off-white? Eggshell? Bottom line - it's not refrigerator white, by any means, but neither is it as faux-ivory looking as your average Simpson. Since you seem interested in a classy looking brush, you might also give a look at the Vulfix boar brushes. I haven't seen as much commentary on them as Omegas and Semogues, but Vulfix does make a quality brush and their boar models have turned handles much like high quality Simpsons, Rooneys, Shavemacs, etc., while still remaining within your price range.

<snippage>
I had no idea it could take that long to break in a brush. Either way I am having difficulty getting started with hard soap lathering. I know that no brush is magic, but i'm sure it would be easier with better quality tools. Also, if it does take some time to break in a brush, why not invest my time into one that is a bit better made?
<snippage>

50 uses seems a bit long to me, but there are some boar brushes that are reputed to have fairly long break-in times (the Semogue 620 is one such). However, expect a fair amount of change over the first two weeks or 15-20 shaves, then slower, but steady improvement until the brush levels out.

Also, your comment "...why not invest my time into one that is better made?" is right on. Boars do require a bit of patience, but the result in many cases is a lifetime keeper with all of the softness and backbone that many of will ever need. (Not that such a thing stops us from buying more brushes :ohmy: - just that those who favor boars can afford more of them than high end badgers!)

Top Bottom