What's new

removing shoulder - hone clearance

Hi

I bought a nice double set and a coticule and am giving honing a go, which is fun, but I've come across a problem which I need some advice on.

I'm setting the bevel on these two, and the last centimetre near the heel isn't being honed. I heard a strange noise on the back-movement on a half-stroke yesterday while trying to correct the bevel, and noticed that the shoulder seems to be preventing that last portion of blade from honing properly.

You can see in the images; the edge of the blade is above the lowest point of the shoulder.

OK, I figure I probably can hone really slowly without the shoulder hitting the hone at all, but this would be pretty slow going I would imagine.
What are your thoughts on this? Is this a common thing to face?

Thanks.

Dave

I'll just try to set the bevel around the stabiliser then.

The stabiliser is a full-wedge, whereas the blade has a hollow grind, which is why the last few millimeters at the heel aren't making contact with the hone. Once the stabiliser hits the hone, that part of the blade can't make contact because it's raised up to the level of the stabiliser. This is how it seems to me anyway.

Thanks.

the solution is to correct the heel, take off some metal to clear the stabilizer from the hone and you are set.

Thanks Mainaman.

Do you mean by taking metal off the surface of the stabiliser, effectively a large bevel on it's tip? Or so you mean remove stuff from the edge of the stabiliser?

What would you use to do this? I think I saw mention of a dremel for the second option, but the first might be done with a fine file?

mention of "grinding back" the stabilizer has been made before, but I am curious on how this is best done too. I have a blade with this problem, and it is annoying to hone.

Phil

Dremel+grinding wheel=stabilizer be gone!

Just go slow and steady, that looks like a lovely blade!

Just round off the last little bit of the stabilizer near the blade to clear the end of the cutting edge.

Thanks Mainaman.

Do you mean by taking metal off the surface of the stabiliser, effectively a large bevel on it's tip? Or so you mean remove stuff from the edge of the stabiliser?

What would you use to do this? I think I saw mention of a dremel for the second option, but the first might be done with a fine file?
removing metal yes, not the way you described it.
just run the heel on a coarse stone to create a / and effectively grinding off the heel where the stabilizer is too low. Then you can reshape the heel area to be rounded again. Then hone the razor. The less dangerous way to do this is to use a DMT plate, but dremel works too.

removing metal yes, not the way you described it.
just run the heel on a coarse stone to create a / and effectively grinding off the heel where the stabilizer is too low. Then you can reshape the heel area to be rounded again. Then hone the razor. The less dangerous way to do this is to use a DMT plate, but dremel works too.

Would you tape the blade to protect it and yourself?

Phil

Yeah thanks! I was looking for an excuse to get me some DMT plates!

(just when I thought I had enough stuff, ha! :)

Top Bottom