What's new

Removing Scale Oxidization

Just wanted to share a method I use to get rid of scale Oxidization that I learned from restoring tobacco pipe stems.

281674.jpg

Here is a nice find from last weekend, a Joseph Rogers & Sons Star and Cross round point 6/8 straight razor. The scale material had severe oxidization and browning and needed some cleaning up.

1. Mix a tablespoon or two of oxiclean powder in a tall container with hot water.

2. Submerge scales in mixture and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes

3. Remove scales and wet sand with a magic eraser. The eraser is a very mild abrasive and you will start to see the brown Oxidization lifting onto the pad.

In short order you can bring the scales back to life and then I usually give the scales a rub in mink oil.

Here is the after:
281678.jpg

Yes some form of hard rubber, ebonite, vulcanite, etc they all seem to behave the same. Very quick method, the job pictured above took around 20-25 minutes. If the oxidization is severe or deep enough I just do a few cycles of this method to bring things back around.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a method I use to get rid of scale Oxidization that I learned from restoring tobacco pipe stems.

View attachment 1625064

Here is a nice find from last weekend, a Joseph Rogers & Sons Star and Cross round point 6/8 straight razor. The scale material had severe oxidization and browning and needed some cleaning up.

1. Mix a tablespoon or two of oxiclean powder in a tall container with hot water.

2. Submerge scales in mixture and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes

3. Remove scales and wet sand with a magic eraser. The eraser is a very mild abrasive and you will start to see the brown Oxidization lifting onto the pad.

In short order you can bring the scales back to life and then I usually give the scales a rub in mink oil.

Here is the after:
View attachment 1625065
Very nice.

Top Bottom