What's new

Remembering Sue replacement knot?

So my RS B&B brush is getting up there in age. Six, almost seven years. I'm thinking about replacing the tired boar knot, which is missing several hairs (if you run your finger over the knot you'll see the broken/severed hairs). I ordered a few knots, and wondered about opinions on which would look a bit more handsome.

Picture attached.

1574570496663.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So my RS B&B brush is getting up there in age. Six, almost seven years. I'm thinking about replacing the tired boar knot, which is missing several hairs (if you run your finger over the knot you'll see the broken/severed hairs). I ordered a few knots, and wondered about opinions on which would look a bit more handsome.

Picture attached.

View attachment 1037710
I like the one on the right!

True story. I had a cheap lathe, drill press, and compound mitre saw at the old place, but they would have taken up so much space in the moving van we'd have to take a third trip, which was not worth another $200+ u-haul, so now that I have the space I'm up to a dewalt 12" compound mitre, two vises, one bench and one woodwork, a bench grinder, and I'm working on the space for a lathe. I'm waiting on tax time or xmas for the drill press, because I want to upgrade from the $100 drill presses to the $300 ones.

When we moved we went from a single car garage and a single wide driveway to a two car garage that's deep enough to fit a shop behind two cars lol, so it's good time to upgrade the tools to fit the space.

FarmerTan

True story. I had a cheap lathe, drill press, and compound mitre saw at the old place, but they would have taken up so much space in the moving van we'd have to take a third trip, which was not worth another $200+ u-haul, so now that I have the space I'm up to a dewalt 12" compound mitre, two vises, one bench and one woodwork, a bench grinder, and I'm working on the space for a lathe. I'm waiting on tax time or xmas for the drill press, because I want to upgrade from the $100 drill presses to the $300 ones.

When we moved we went from a single car garage and a single wide driveway to a two car garage that's deep enough to fit a shop behind two cars lol, so it's good time to upgrade the tools to fit the space.
Color me jealous! Now that I have the time I have neither the cash or the health.

But I plan to learn to watercolor this winter! I always did oils, so I don't have high hopes, lol.

Don't treat them as the same medium is my advice. Watercolor can do things oils can never do, and vice versa.

My grandfather was an exceptional watercolor artist, I think we have about six or seven of his paintings around the house. It's something I've never found the knack for, which is probably ok, since I can't draw to save my life.

FarmerTan

Don't treat them as the same medium is my advice. Watercolor can do things oils can never do, and vice versa.

My grandfather was an exceptional watercolor artist, I think we have about six or seven of his paintings around the house. It's something I've never found the knack for, which is probably ok, since I can't draw to save my life.
Lol! I can draw, sketch, whatever, fairly well. Watercolor painting has always intimidated me. But I will try to face it head on!

FarmerTan

i find watercolor or oil or acrylic all fairly easy mediums so you shouldnt have much of a problem with it.
Lol, I've been afraid of both watercolor and acrylic painting.

I was actually decent in oil.

Kinda like a Tuna? Oh. That was bad.

Lol, I've been afraid of both watercolor and acrylic painting.

I was actually decent in oil.

Kinda like a Tuna? Oh. That was bad.
haha yeah when i started i used all 3 so i learned/ taught myself and was taught that i needed to find my "own" and i used to be to much of a perfectionist and someone told me that i was the only one that would ever notice something i wasnt happy with and just to relax and have fun.....my wife is also an artist and was even asked to do a comic book for a movie company a while back for a fantasy movie. They also asked her to do an ashcan comic for them as a tie in.just relax and have fun with it also when i first used acrylic i used to thin it down and basically made my own form of watercolor from them so if you ever thinned your oils you are already kind of doing it. remember JUST HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom