What's new

Reknoting Simpsons Classic

I've owned a simpsons classic for awhile now, but it has only been used less than 20 times as it is an absolute lather hog. To the point where in face lathering, there's barely much lather and my face, and loads within the brush as I squeeze it out.

Would like to hear from owners who have reknoted a simpsons classic..

Would it be possible to squeeze in a knot with a much higher loft?

I like my brushes to splay a little, and for reference, am incredibly happy with the performance of my semigue 1305, as a reference.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Try changing your techniques and also giving the brush a nice Spa Day. Make a solution of warm water and borax and soak the hair in that for 15-20 minutes. Gently squeeze the excess water out and then go through a series of four iterations consisting of twenty each up/down and twenty each left/right strokes against a cotton towel. Let the brush rest overnight and try shaving with it again.

Then work on your face technique using just one soap until you get things right.

I have a Classic 2 which is one of my favorites! I face-lather using hard soaps and find it about perfect.

Yes, the little guy is a bandit that hogs lather (much like the Chubby brushes). It has a ton of backbone and is just about what I want. As we say YMMV! This is what makes this hobby so interesting.

Try changing your techniques and also giving the brush a nice Spa Day. Make a solution of warm water and borax and soak the hair in that for 15-20 minutes. Gently squeeze the excess water out and then go through a series of four iterations consisting of twenty each up/down and twenty each left/right strokes against a cotton towel. Let the brush rest overnight and try shaving with it again.

Then work on your face technique using just one soap until you get things right.
Thanks for chiming in, will give it a go in terms of cleaning the bristles out and trying it after. Am however thinking that it is the way the classics were designed, i.e. short loft, bulb shaped. Even with overloading of soap, it does not release much lather.

I have a Classic 2 which is one of my favorites! I face-lather using hard soaps and find it about perfect.

Yes, the little guy is a bandit that hogs lather (much like the Chubby brushes). It has a ton of backbone and is just about what I want. As we say YMMV! This is what makes this hobby so interesting.

Certainly YMMV! I do enjoy its backbone, it's a pity that it does not release much lather for me personally. I like to look like santa claus, and am beginning to think that boars are better suited for my preferences.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Thanks for chiming in, will give it a go in terms of cleaning the bristles out and trying it after. Am however thinking that it is the way the classics were designed, i.e. short loft, bulb shaped. Even with overloading of soap, it does not release much lather.

Certainly YMMV! I do enjoy its backbone, it's a pity that it does not release much lather for me personally. I like to look like santa claus, and am beginning to think that boars are better suited for my preferences.
Try more water. Load the brush then dip it into the water and then to your face. Remember badger does not absorb water like boar.

But if you enjoy boar more than badger use boar.

I also like boars, but I prefer badgers these days! Nice to have options to explore IMO!

I've owned a simpsons classic for awhile now, but it has only been used less than 20 times as it is an absolute lather hog. To the point where in face lathering, there's barely much lather and my face, and loads within the brush as I squeeze it out.

Would like to hear from owners who have reknoted a simpsons classic..

Would it be possible to squeeze in a knot with a much higher loft?

I like my brushes to splay a little, and for reference, am incredibly happy with the performance of my semigue 1305, as a reference.

Simpson Classic is a very dense brush. This is the reason why many people call it chubby 1/2... Do not re-knotted it because you going to spoil it, instead sell it and buy another brush. A good recommendation might be a Vulfix 2273 super badger. This brush has all the characteristics you like at a fraction of the classics price. Also it comes with a handy travel tube. Check it out at Diamond edge.

Top Bottom